Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey, Onkyo Owners/Users...

And no, it really has nothing to do with my namesake here...lol...

How many of you Onkyo AVR owners are using your unit's"IntelliVolume" system to make certain sources "seem" louder at a lower master volume level? Though this feature was really designed to "even out" the relative output between connected sources in a scale from -12dB to +12dB, many -- like me -- use it as a sort of power amp's "gain adjustment," pumping it into the "+dB" range so that sources sound louder at an overall lower master volume readout.

And yes, I'm well aware that by doing this it reduces the overall maximum volume available by the amount of gain put into the "+dB" range, but I'm wondering if any of you guys use the IntelliVolume system, and what your findings have been with it...

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 09-13-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I only use it for watching basic cable.
post #3 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
I only use it for watching basic cable.

Thanks NODES...

So for your CABL/SAT input, you have IntelliVolume set to what?

Did you feel you didn't need to use it on anything else?

post #4 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks NODES...

So for your CABL/SAT input, you have IntelliVolume set to what?

Did you feel you didn't need to use it on anything else?

I think 12 or 13, whatever the max is.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
I think 12 or 13, whatever the max is.

Yeah, the max is +12dB...

I keep mine on +10 for my Blu-ray player's HDMI input on my 605 as I don't really like to totally "max" anything out (just a mental thing), especially since I'm really using IntelliVolume as more of an "amp gain" control...

On my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver, in my separate two-channel hi fi setup, my source inputs are set to +9dB for IntelliVolume...

But now you have me thinking that perhaps it's best to set the IntelliVolume's gain -- for a given source -- to the +12dB mark so as to get "maximum input voltage" for that source?

Hmmmm...

post #6 of 20 Old 09-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I don't remember why, but I have mine set to +7db on all sources Cab-Sat, BD etc on my 809.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what's the point if you set it to MAX. Isn't that like not setting it at all??
post #8 of 20 Old 09-14-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Also makes me think what happens when you run Audyssey, does it calibrate all inputs for a specific starting point for IntelliVolume adjustments (the feature, not the poster ). Or is one favored? Since the tones aren't based on the input of the bluray or cab/sat as far as I can tell, what does that mean as far as what the starting point is for adjusting each from there?

post #9 of 20 Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
I don't remember why, but I have mine set to +7db on all sources Cab-Sat, BD etc on my 809.

Thanks Ray!

Perhaps because at +7 you felt like the sources weren't "clipping" at your desired volume levels or something?

Do these IntelliVolume settings "wake your system up" at all? What has been your experience using the system?

Last edited by IntelliVolume; Yesterday at 01:33 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
what's the point if you set it to MAX. Isn't that like not setting it at all??

What do you mean?

The IntelliVolume scale -- for all sources -- runs from -12dB to +12dB, with "0" being the default "middle" setting in the heart of the scale...THAT would be equivalent to not setting it "at all"...

Some feel that by setting it to +12dB, the maximum gain allowed, you're getting the "maximum input voltage" gain from the connected source -- in other words, the most "volume" from it through the receiver -- but I was always cautious about "maxing" anything out...

In reality, it shouldn't really matter because the receiver automatically "adjusts" for settings made in the "+dB" range, whether it's under speaker calibration levels or IntelliVolume settings; in other words, let's say you set IntelliVolume for a given source to +10dB and the maximum volume number on the display is 100...the unit will automatically reduce the available maximum volume to "90" because you used +10 on IntelliVolume..it does the same thing with related speaker channel levels. All my speaker trims and IntelliVolume settings are in the "+dB" range but the reduced maximum volume output on the receivers' scale is something "I just live with"...

post #11 of 20 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Also makes me think what happens when you run Audyssey, does it calibrate all inputs for a specific starting point for IntelliVolume adjustments (the feature, not the poster ). Or is one favored? Since the tones aren't based on the input of the bluray or cab/sat as far as I can tell, what does that mean as far as what the starting point is for adjusting each from there?

This has been something debated in many Audyssey threads; I think -- and I only think -- that regardless of where you leave the IntelliVolume setting for any given source prior to Audyssey, it doesn't affect auto setup...but AFTER setup, if you adjust IntelliVolume too radically in either direction it can throw off the system's measurements...

post #12 of 20 Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Thanks Ray!

Perhaps because at +7 you felt like the sources weren't "clipping" at your desired volume levels or something?

Do these IntelliVolume settings "wake your system up" at all? What has been your experience using the system?
Yes the IntelliVolume definitely wakes up my unit. I think without the IntelliVolume engaged the master voulme had to be really cranked up to get decent sound. The 809 thread is huge and I know I read somewhere about these settings a long time ago. There's also some other settings on the 809 that boost the sound such as light, heavy and something else. I can't recall exactly but it's in the set up menu. I do not have those engaged. As you go from light to heavy the over all volume increases without turning the master volume knob on the receiver.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #13 of 20 Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This has been something debated in many Audyssey threads; I think -- and I only think -- that regardless of where you leave the IntelliVolume setting for any given source prior to Audyssey, it doesn't affect auto setup...but AFTER setup, if you adjust IntelliVolume too radically in either direction it can throw off the system's measurements...
I'll go looking for those discussions, don't think I've run across them before. My thought on auto setup in terms of Intellivolume is just what input level is it expecting from outside sources in regards to the setting of reference dB calc? If its movies that can be calibrated and your test tones aren't input from you particular disc player (so the gain structure of that source is unknown to the avr at that point), is there some automatic version of Intellivolume working in the background to set that gain structure? I'm probably looking at this awkwardly but can't wrap my head around it. If anything the net apps play at a louder volume than any other sources on my Onkyo avr so makes me wonder how when I do play a movie back and supposedly have a calibrated volume dial...do I really?

post #14 of 20 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Yes the IntelliVolume definitely wakes up my unit. I think without the IntelliVolume engaged the master voulme had to be really cranked up to get decent sound.

That is what I have found, as well...like the IntelliVolume acts as the receiver's "amp gain stage" in a power amp...

post #15 of 20 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'll go looking for those discussions, don't think I've run across them before. My thought on auto setup in terms of Intellivolume is just what input level is it expecting from outside sources in regards to the setting of reference dB calc? If its movies that can be calibrated and your test tones aren't input from you particular disc player (so the gain structure of that source is unknown to the avr at that point), is there some automatic version of Intellivolume working in the background to set that gain structure? I'm probably looking at this awkwardly but can't wrap my head around it. If anything the net apps play at a louder volume than any other sources on my Onkyo avr so makes me wonder how when I do play a movie back and supposedly have a calibrated volume dial...do I really?

I probably wouldn't be the best person to ask about Audyssey implementations because I don't use it on my 605, but as far as IntelliVolume itself goes, from what I understand -- and from my and others' experiences -- the system kind of "wakes the receiver up" at lower volume levels so one doesn't have to see, say, "60" (absolute value) on the display screen just to get decent sound...some of us use it as a kind of "input sensitivity gain" like what used to come on big power amps, if that makes sense, so the sources connected to the receiver can be individually tweaked to sound "louder" at a "lower" volume number...

post #16 of 20 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I probably wouldn't be the best person to ask about Audyssey implementations because I don't use it on my 605, but as far as IntelliVolume itself goes, from what I understand -- and from my and others' experiences -- the system kind of "wakes the receiver up" at lower volume levels so one doesn't have to see, say, "60" (absolute value) on the display screen just to get decent sound...some of us use it as a kind of "input sensitivity gain" like what used to come on big power amps, if that makes sense, so the sources connected to the receiver can be individually tweaked to sound "louder" at a "lower" volume number...
It certainly seems to be a gain adjustment, why I mentioned gain structure of sources as far the avr is concerned. My pro amps have gain adjustment and you need to consider the output level of the preouts in using them...altho the Onkyo seems to have sufficient without need of help from Intellivolume in that respect.

post #17 of 20 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
It certainly seems to be a gain adjustment, why I mentioned gain structure of sources as far the avr is concerned. My pro amps have gain adjustment and you need to consider the output level of the preouts in using them...altho the Onkyo seems to have sufficient without need of help from Intellivolume in that respect.

Interesting; you seem to be one of the only Onkyo users/owners (that I have communicated with or read about in this and other forums) that didn't feel the need to add gain to these AVRs' internal amps...

post #18 of 20 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting; you seem to be one of the only Onkyo users/owners (that I have communicated with or read about in this and other forums) that didn't feel the need to add gain to these AVRs' internal amps...
What do you mean internal amps? The avr's speaker amps? Op amps? I do add gain for my turntable, as its relatively low compared to the rest of the sources....and have turned down the level for the net apps (Pandora/DLNA are what I use mostly). The game input I use for the PS3 and the cbl/sat input for my Directv receiver I leave at 0.

post #19 of 20 Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
What do you mean internal amps? The avr's speaker amps? Op amps? I do add gain for my turntable, as its relatively low compared to the rest of the sources....and have turned down the level for the net apps (Pandora/DLNA are what I use mostly). The game input I use for the PS3 and the cbl/sat input for my Directv receiver I leave at 0.

The amps built into the receivers which power the speakers...

post #20 of 20 Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The amps built into the receivers which power the speakers...
I use power amps on my front speakers, avr handles surrounds/rear surrounds but no complaints.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page