ONKYO TX-NR636 OR Denon AVR-S900W - Please help! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ONKYO TX-NR636 OR Denon AVR-S900W - Please help!

Hi all,

I just purchased an Onkyo TX-NR636 this past week and already am seeing HDMI handshake issues which lead me to believe they haven't resolved their HDMI board heat issues. I'm sending it back as defective actually and would love opinions as to whether or not I should get another unit or go with the Denon AVR-S900W instead.

Couple of assumptions to keep in mind (for me):

1. I am not planning on getting a 4K display for at least another 3-4 years (I know the Onkyo has HDCP 2.2)
2. With the Onkyo as is, I only have 1 hdmi port left that's free (and I plan to use this one up in the next 6-12 months)
3. I don't care about wifi but bluetooth is important
4. I'm using a DirecTV Genie, PS4, Xbox 360, Wii U and Wii and HTPC

Thanks very much and I need to decide by tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 467
might as well get the Denon as you've already experienced the Onkyo.

Afro GT
Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
HDMI handshake issues have nothing to do with HDMI board heat related issues, rather simply an issue with your existing devices which is quite common with cable/sat boxes when used with any brand of AVR. Can't say whether issue will present with the Denon, but as afrogt says, as the Onkyo isn't working, might as well try the Denon. Note too as the new Onkyo EQ does not EQ the FL/FR/Sub, audio quality should be better using Audyssey on the Denon.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
HDMI handshake issues have nothing to do with HDMI board heat related issues, rather simply an issue with your existing devices which is quite common with cable/sat boxes when used with any brand of AVR. Can't say whether issue will present with the Denon, but as afrogt says, as the Onkyo isn't working, might as well try the Denon. Note too as the new Onkyo EQ does not EQ the FL/FR/Sub, audio quality should be better using Audyssey on the Denon.
Thanks a lot for the input. I ordered the Denon so I'll give that a go. I have done research on the Onkyo and people are still complaining about the temp issues (even though as you said that's not related to handshake issues), I'm hoping the Denon uses better capacitors and overall better parts.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked: 2181
^^
Denon models generally don't get more than warm (ie < 120 F).

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call only for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Old 09-25-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I grabbed one of the Denon S900W, and its a piece of steak shuvs. very easy to use, and doesn't give strange issues like ofther brands have done as of late.
I had Onkyo's and their nice, but HDMI still is bad on them.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guuys what is this handshake issue your talking about? My screen is flickering on the main hdmi output,