Receiver and speakers for restaurant - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Receiver and speakers for restaurant

Hi there. My brother took over a diner that had no sound system and he'd like to start playing music. The question is, what would be a good system for that? He'll either use an iPod or maybe satellite radio (maybe Pandora etc.). Are wireless speakers ready for primetime yet? His space isn't that big.

47' x 20' (just under 1000 sqf)

He certainly doesn't want anything super expensive, since it's just background music. But I'd like to give him options. Wired or wireless.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-16-2014, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I am no expert on installed sound of that sort, but you might be able to get by with a small number of speakers for background music in that small space. As I am no expert, I could only guess that 4 speakers might be enough.

You might be able to get by with almost any receiver and wire the speakers in parallel for a 4 ohm load. As it's background music you don't need much power and therefore 4 ohms is pretty safe.

If they wanted to play music louder, like for after hours cleaning and such, you probably want a good mid range receiver.

You can try a series wiring setup, which gives you a 16 ohm (nominal) load (again with 4 speakers.)

If you wanted more speakers, you can do a series parallel wiring with 4 speakers per channel for a total of 8, but this is a more unpredictable load. With 8 speakers, you might consider a different solution than a stereo receiver.

Also note that if you get an AVR with a 5 or 7 channel stereo mode, you have more channels to work with than just two.

For speakers, I think any decent speakers would do the trick. Yamaha makes budget speakers that seem to sound good in my experience. Polk and Klipsch are other reasonably priced brands I have had good luck with. You might want to look for speakers designed to be bracket mounted unless you want to build some shelves.

Make sure you use the proper wiring gauge for speaker wire (for the distance you need to run the wires for.)

People who do this stuff for a living probably have better advice than I can provide. But they may tell you that you want a more expensive distribution system as well, which I am not sure is true in that small of a space ( and given the background listening levels, which as I say don't need a lot of power.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 43
1000 sqft with lots of bodies is a room with lots of absorbing.
Also to get even background more speakers playing quietly the merrier.
The KEF Ci software would be good to model the room and number of speakers desired to get an even spl.
Then you need to work out how to amp that. A multi channel amp with a single input for all amps or a 70 or 100v distribution system.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a look at the place from one end down to the other, if that helps give a better idea.

On the left wall, above the servers are four vents. They aren't connected to anything, so some speakers could go in there. I'm thinking he'd need one or two on either end of the building too.
Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]
post #5 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Does he know that he'll have to pay licensing fees to ASCAP and BMI?

-Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
Does he know that he'll have to pay licensing fees to ASCAP and BMI?
That's not my problem. I'm just trying to find out the best way to get sound in there.

But here's an interesting article:

http://www.restaurant.org/Manage-My-...usic-licensing

Last edited by editguy; 09-17-2014 at 10:00 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

That article is a good primer. Note that the TV & radio exemption for small establishments doesn't cover iPods, Pandora, or even satellite radio.

You might not consider this to be your problem, but you also don't want your brother to get hit with back fees. Licensing can run into some serious cash.

-Joe

post #8 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
That article is a good primer. Note that the TV & radio exemption for small establishments doesn't cover iPods, Pandora, or even satellite radio.

You might not consider this to be your problem, but you also don't want your brother to get hit with back fees. Licensing can run into some serious cash.
Yes, but first things first. We need to know what we can put in there equipment-wise. The SiriusXM Business license looks pretty inexpensive on a monthly basis and covers ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

This is definitely one of the first things you want set up before shopping for and installing gear, as back fees can easily run into 5 figures or more per month. SiriusXM Business is probably your best bet, and is a major bargain.

Disclaimer (probably should have said this in the first post, eh?): ASCAP collects my royalties for me.

-Joe

post #10 of 10 Old 09-17-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
^^^ That guy.

OP. I would look at doing multiple smaller speakers to ensure more coverage at a lower volume.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page