What AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What AVR?

Hello to all, I spent a good amount of time trying to make sure this is a good spot to place this and, well, I believe it to be a decent spot but please moderators feel free to move if not.
On to my question..

Current Equipment: (Audio)

Denon AVR 3311-CL (dying/gone)
Bowers and Wilkins 685 pair
Bowers and Wilkins ASW-8"
Kenwood Rear and Center (Don't recall models you will see in a minute why I don't care)

What I am seeking you alls suggestion for is in what I WANT to do and what is possibly the best way to go about it..

I fell in love with the new s2 series B&W has recently put out especially the CM and would love to upgrade my front speakers to CM8(s2) as well as my center. Granted I know the sound on my 6 series moved to the rear is a little different quality (at this young stage I am fine with)

As you see, my AVR has gone bad. It is inside of the video processing, and is due for an upgrade as I recently purchased a Sony x850b as well anyway.

Now, the real reason I am looking for advice however is not so much my want to upgrade speakers but for my girlfriends want of a record player mainly. (Great excuse for new equipment anyway!)
I am debating on that side between a Denon DP-300F or going for the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, help on this front is appreciated as well.

But of either a Denon or Marantz, which AVR should I go with for the turntable as well?
Knowing I eventually would like the CM towers I lean towards the Denon. Am I selling myself short or do I go with a Marantz?
I'm really lost in this any input would help.

Thanks AVS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 05:27 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
The 3311CI has a 3 year warranty, but if expired in your case, check with your credit card issuer as many will add an additional 4th year for free so you can then get the 3311CI repaired and sold on the used market to apply towards purchase of a newer model. What you get will depend on budget, but you'll likely want to consider either last years Denon X4000 or the newer X4100W, both with the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 over just XT on your 3311CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Denon & Marantz are mostly the same (same mother company) so it doesn't really matter. For the TT, the Project gets my vote. I have the RPM6.

The CM's are great. Make sure you get the big CM Centre 2, which is the same FST midway and threeway architecture as the CM8. The small one is inferior.

The most important advice I give to you is this: keep that girl happy! I mean, most wouldn't even recognise a TT when they see one!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unfortunately, yeah the warranty was out and had purchased with a debit. I am young, no credit at the time and it was a good deal. I appreciate the information though!
Maybe I'll look at the X4100 first

Yeah, D&M Holdings I believe just figured if it is the way to go or not.

Believe me I try! She is the one who said to upgrade from my Samsung 55" to the 4K after 2 years. All she asks for is me to teach her how to press play on movies or let her have her music time!
She recently found a vinyl of her favorite band (U2) and then they ironically had the Apple announcement and she took it as a sign to buy the album and I've had an itch for Vinyl for a year now anyway when I found my Dads collection

Last edited by grindstone11; 09-19-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - X850B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page