AVS Forum banner

The **OFFICIAL** Marantz AV7702 Pre/Pro

Tags
av7702
460K views 7K replies 452 participants last post by  Sam Ash 
#1 · (Edited)
#2,701 ·
How would you know what your system sounds like without a Dac or prepro?

That's why I don't know whether I would prefer replacing my current pre-pro sound with warmth or transparency.

Perhaps it is your perception of your system sound. And if transparency is what you're seek, and the 7702 sounds like nothing, then there would be no point o spending a dime more on the 8802.

#2,703 · (Edited)
How would you know what your system sounds like without a Dac or prepro?

That's why I don't know whether I would prefer replacing my current pre-pro sound with warmth or transparency.

Perhaps it is your perception of your system sound. And if transparency is what you're seek, and the 7702 sounds like nothing, then there would be no point o spending a dime more on the 8802.
The 7702 is clear and open sounding. Meaning no filtration is added (no "warmth"). How I benchmark no preamp in the system is to compare the Bel Canto 2.7 (digital volume control without loss) to preamps in general. I compare in stereo w/o room correction. Most HT prepro independent of the price really inhibit the sound to die-hard 2 channel lovers. When I compared the 8801 to the Bel Canto 2.7, the 8801 sounded broken in comparison. The depth and dynamics were not in the same league. When I put in the 7702, to my ears it leaped forward. Disclaimer: if someone wants a brand new 8801, I'll sell them one now at a crushing deal as they are clearing them out. I say this because I am not biased. It's what my ears heard and I've argued with my ears because I know that the 8801 has several less lossy sections than the 7702. After all, the 8801 still is a whole lot better than models that cost more. But that doesn't change the fact that I strongly prefer the 7702. It's more holographic (instrument placement); it's just more musical. I've yet to find a set of ears that disagree even though SQ is subjective. But still it is not a Bel Canto (no preamp) and it surely isn't a $35 GRAND over the top Soulutions 720.

The jury is out what the 8802 will sound like. But I still don't expect it to sound as good as no preamp. That's reserved for the ubber expensive Audio Research (with a hint of warmth), Boulder, etc.

With that said, the guy who tweaked out the 8802 is a talented designer that was tasked to bring it up to a whole new sonic level. Assuming his ears work like ours and he figured out where the lossy sections exist (as he did with the 7702 tweaks) we SHOULD be in for a real treat.

Now for the catch: If your room sounds better with room correction, guess what? The Marantz may sound better with room correction in YOUR room than the $35K Soulutions. So it boils down to getting a HT preamp to be close enough to sound like nothing. IF that happens on the 8802, then we are going to have a paradigm shift in HT processors independent of this reasonable price point. It's kind of crazy that we all spend $$'s to actually make the system sound like nothing. Go figure. But for my dedicated stereo system, I will never again write out a check for a preamp. Why? O.K. for vinyl. But that ship has sailed a couple of decades ago. I want high resolution audio on my media server (HTPC thank you very much) and pointing to it on my iPad. It just doesn't get any better than this and the 7702 and 8802 via airplay make it so easy to accomplish. Now let's hope the designers of the 8802 figured out a way to squeeze out just a little more performance!

#2,702 ·
Thanks for the treatment suggestion. I actually can't add absorption or diffusion at the first reflection points. My latest theater is in a difficult room. Amongst other issues, like an open half wall to a loft upstairs and open doorway on the right, there is a extended sunroom along the left wall. Which I close off with 15ft of thick drapes when watching a movie. So one wall is undulating absorption and the other wall has a side sofa along it for absorption and wood art above it for diffusion. But far from symmetry. Or the ability to change it.

I used to have an EAD Encore processor running with Mirage M1's and M5s. The surround, dynamics and musicality was great, but it lacked detail. When the new codecs came out, I jumped on the Integra 9.8. I got more detail, but lost something. Musicality. Fullness. I then replaced the M1s with a .7 set of Revels leading with F52's. More detail, tighter base. Lost a touch of dynamics and surround. FYI since my beloved Proceed HPA3 amp went into permanent standby mode, I'm now using my old Anthem MCA 5 amp. Less dynamic more Bright.

So now I'm on the other end . And as intrigued as I am about the 7702, I am wondering if I would prefer the sound of the 8801 with my system. Wonder if the 7702 will leave it bright. I would love to try them both out and return one. But that's going to happen. I am already sold on the benefit of XT32 in my room. Can't wait to get it. Just trying to figure out what prepro to get it with.

#2,704 ·
I see a bel canto 2.7 is in the $2k price range, so that's that. But thanks for the understanding for how you understand your system's sound.

For me, I stilI won't really know if a prepro is adding - X number of layers of obstruction that sounds like either perceived: neutrality, warmth or brightness.

Otherwise we are just comparing a new prepro to a previous version. Which is fine. Im just looking for clarity in understanding the terminology and phrasing used for the 7702 like "nothing"

Sure would be handy about now to own an audio outlet and take gear home and hear it. Because no dealer around seems to carry the options I seek. I can't even get them to AB the oppo 103 and 105 in the same system. Convenient. Nobody is AB testing around here. More chance of meeting the queen. I can listen to one pre pro in a system in one room and compare to another alternate manufacturers in another system and room. Terrific.

#2,706 ·
I see a bel canto 2.7 is in the $2k price range, so that's that. But thanks for the understanding for how you understand your system's sound.

For me, I stilI won't really know if a prepro is adding - X number of layers of obstruction that sounds like either perceived: neutrality, warmth or brightness.

Otherwise we are just comparing a new prepro to a previous version. Which is fine. Im just looking for clarity in understanding the terminology and phrasing used for the 7702 like "nothing"

Sure would be handy about now to own an audio outlet and take gear home and hear it. Because no dealer around seems to carry the options I seek. I can't even get them to AB the oppo 103 and 105 in the same system. Convenient. Nobody is AB testing around here. More chance of meeting the queen. I can listen to one pre pro in a system in one room and compare to another alternate manufacturers in another system and room. Terrific.
There are many indications on how good this pre pro sounds. The best thing to do is order a 7702 and try it in your system. Worse case senerio you don't like it send it back and all you are out is a little in shipping costs. And besides there is nothing in this price range that will come close to the 7702.

#2,710 ·
Thanks. I know about these. In fact I considered making some that are more pleasing and more aesthetically "normal". They tend to look like bad paintings. I had ideas to make some cool looking wood and paper art pieces, dimensionally framed without the glass that was both diffusive, and absorptive with foam hidden in. More like simple modern art in dimensional frames. For multi-purpose rooms like mine and aesthetically anal people like me, as opposed to dedicated rooms. Just never really got to it. Anyway.. even the aesthetic stuff won't help when I have a curtain that draws across the entire length of the wall that partitions and blocks the extended sunroom. There's nothing to hang it on. And the other wall is reflective in comparison all the way across. Not to mention the 18ft vaulted ceiling and open loft upstairs. It's just not balanced well.

It's an unusual space with numerous issues. A prime contender for XT32 or a proper sound calibration. The latter is wasted money since it's a temporary rented house. Thus my high interest in XT32 accompanied by the right affordable processor. I know an in home audition is best. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the improvement the 7702 would be over my 9.8. and would likely not return it unless I just have to have DTS:X or blu ray manufacturers find a way to fit 4K content on them. Just don't know if I'd have the sound I was chasing with my current components more with the 880(X) series.

#2,709 ·
I jest about my wife. I would feel the same way. I built a false wall and cabinets to hide the components and use a perforated screen. The only elements you see in my theater rooms are the surround speakers on the walls and acoustic foam in the bottom corners if you look hard. I either build in treatments or if not possible - as I am renting my current house - then I use furniture and art elements for absorption and diffusion and try to balance it as best I can.

I understand and accept some drop in performance for aesthetics. Looking very forward to settling and buying again. Until then I use the mobile false wall/cabinet to create my theater and do the best I can with the room. Mobile false wall in the pic below is in the first rental house room I built it in. The room there is a similar situation to my current room albeit mine is now larger and less rectangular and not enclosed. Windows and drapes on one side / wall, sofa and diffusion art on the other side.

The dedicated theater in my main image (left), I built myself in our house 8 years ago and is located in another state. Which I now rent out to a wonderful family. Moving for business is and adventure, but I found a way to always have a nice, wife friendly theater. Resulting in her enjoying our Saturday night house rattling movies.

Attachments

#2,719 ·
Most problems solved.

Its taken me two weeks,to set up my 7702,mostly due to HDMI hand shake problems.Is this a new record?!. I am running this with the 8077,and 7055. After checking/rechecking,and getting no sound, i found that going into Mac.PC sound settings, and changing output from tv,to marantz,immediately solved the problem.Having gone from AV receiver separates,i would recommend the change to anyone thinking the same. XT 32,has done wonders for the sound,its like being in a concert hall. The walls of the Croft are three feet thick Granite,so this may also help. Have also just put up ceiling speakers. So far so good. Also, many thanks for the help i have received on this forum.

#2,725 ·
I have back-to-back systems in the same room. PJ at one end and flat panel at the other. Both 5.2 systems with Paradigms and Hsu subs. One system has an Onkyo 5507 pre/pro with Aydyssey XT and the other has an Onkyo 3808 receiver used as a pre/pro with XT32. There is not enough room in this thread box to contain the "huge" I need to put in to describe the advantage XT32 has over XT when it comes to movies in my acoustically challenged room. My listening is about 60/40 movies over music. I spent enough time darkening my room for the projector so I'm not going to start fooling with room treatments. I mean, I have to watch movies and listen to music some time!

#2,726 ·
Hi all,
It's been a few years since I sign up but I do read the forums every so often but I have never posted to need help until now.
I just got my 7702 a few days ago and I am still in the learning process if you know what I mean! Can someone help me figure out how to play my Itunes
library. I am just not getting it by reading the manual. Do I have to install Itunes in the 7702 or will it hook up to my Itunes on my PC that is connected
by way of WIFI to my 7702? All I can say is this Processor sounds awesome. Best sound I ever had of course my processor from 14 years
ago that I finally decide to replace was a Rotel 1068 I do believe. Thanks Dave

#2,731 ·
Airplay icon does not display

Try one or more of the following steps ...

- Set the AVR to Standby and unplug it for 10 minutes. Then plug back in and turn on again. You may need to do this several times.
- If using an iPhone or HTPC, try cycling it OFF/ON/OFF/ON while it's connected to the network.
- Close/Open iTunes a few times.
- Power cycle the router, wireless bridge, or Powerline adapters OFF/ON/OFF/ON.
- If your router has a "multicast" option, try setting it to YES.
- Cycle DHCP OFF/ON/OFF/ON.
- Assign the AVR with a static IP address of its own. Turn off DHCP and select an IP address out of the normal range (1-100, eg. 192.168.1.101 ) and then leave the subnet address that's there. Give it a few minutes after you type it in and you should see the icon pop up on your device.
- If using a Verizon Actiontec router .... on the router, go to the Advanced tab (accept the warning) and go to the IGMP Proxy menu and disable "IGMP Proxy" which should resolve the issue. On newer Actiontec routers, if you don't see the IGMP setting, but do see a "Routing" setting, then select Routing/Routing Protocols/IGMP and disable "IGMP Proxy" there. Another setting which has been shown to work is to enable the setting just above the setting on the main Advanced menu. The issue here generally only presents when the AVR is wired directly to the Actiontec router and the iDevice is connected wirelessly. Note however, that if streaming IPTV, disabling this proxy will also disable the IPTV connection, so in that case you'll need to leave IGMP enabled and place an ethernet switch between the Actiontec and the rest of the network.
- Regardless of the type router being used, if there is a "Disable IGMP Proxy" setting that is checked, try unchecking it and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise, try toggling the "IGMP Proxy" setting ON/OFF/ON.

#2,737 ·
You may find it easier purchasing an Airport Express or Apple TV connected to the 7702 and then stream to it instead of the 7702.

Also I have an outboard headphone amp that I used before but now I don't think I can use it with this unit. Can't figure how to hook it up to the 7702! There is no out such as a tape out! Any suggestions on this?
You can connect it to the Zone 2 pre-outs. Set HDMI Audio (Zone 2 only) (p. 252, Owner's manual). When you want to use them, power on Zone 2 and select the source you want to listen to.

#2,734 ·
I have a question. I'm considering upgrading my Integra DHC-9.9 to either the 80.3 or the Marantz 7702. Is there much of a difference between the two besides Atmos? On paper they seem similar with a slight edge for the 80.3 on the video processing front and an edge to the 7702 on audio. What I'm really after is XT32. I like music, but I'm mostly a movies guy. Given all the talk of DTS-X I may wait anyway but I'm still curious.

#2,736 ·
We have similar priorities (movies/music) and my previous processor was the 80.3. I have a friend who had gone from the 80.3 to the Marantz 8801 and he raved about the difference in sound quality. I was also interested in Atmos and Auro so I decided to give the Marantz a try. To me, the 2 channel differences are subtle but I like the Dolby Surround upmixing for movies and so I sold the 80.3 and the Marantz is here to stay (at least until DTS-X becomes a must have ;)). SSP's are technology dependent and so are not static devices.

On another note, I'd be interested in how many AV7702 owners use Atmos or, purchased the Auro upgrade. Since there is little Atmos or Auro content, are you using Dolby Surround upmixing to take advantage of the additional speakers?

#2,738 ·
We have similar priorities (movies/music) and my previous processor was the 80.3. I have a friend who had gone from the 80.3 to the Marantz 8801 and he raved about the difference in sound quality. I was also interested in Atmos and Auro so I decided to give the Marantz a try. To me, the 2 channel differences are subtle but I like the Dolby Surround upmixing for movies and so I sold the 80.3 and the Marantz is here to stay (at least until DTS-X becomes a must have ;)). SSP's are technology dependent and so are not static devices.
Thanks for the response. So you did notice a difference when watching movies? That's good to know. I'm on the fence with the waiting for DTS-X. I haven't upgraded my processor since 2009 so I'm clearly not in a rush and when I do decide to upgrade I wouldn't mind a modicum of future proof-ness if possible. I know that's a stretch in this hobby, but I'd like a little more than two months worth of it anyway.

#2,748 ·
Strange problem, I hope you can help...

I have 4 sources connected, a Tivo, a Roku, an HTPC, and a Chromecast.

The problem is on the HTPC.
With YouTube in a web browser, the audio is fine.
In the Media Center, My Videos play fine with audio

The problem seems to be with MyMovies - a Bluray will play with its HD-Master audio, but the previews do not have sound.
Also, when I play DVDs form MyMovies, there is no sound.
It all worked as I would expect on my Onkyo Processor.

A second issue, is that the HD-Master audio doesn't play on Zone 2.

What could the problem be?

thanks,
~Jay

#2,764 ·
The first issue is likely related to a setting on the source. Need some clarification on the second issue. Do you have an HDMI connection from the Zone 2 HDMI monitor output or simply connecting speakers to Zone 2 speaker posts? If the former, the HDMI cable must be connected to an HDMI sink (ie. AVR) that can receive HD audio, otherwise when connected to a TV, TVs can generally only accept 2.0 stereo. If the latter, you must set HDMI Audio (Zone 2 Only) (p. 252) to "PCM" in order to pass PCM 2.0 audio to Zone 2 while the HD audio plays in Zone 1.

#2,754 ·
I'm using an Outlaw 7500, and I'm very happy with it. I've had it for 6 or 7 years and and never had a problem. I keep it on 24/7 rather than switching it because of my unusual setup.

The Outlaw amp was an upgrade an older receiver. It really made my speakers come to life. In my opinion, a good amp is a great investment since it will never need to be upgraded.

I also use a cheap 2 channel Samson amp for the rear speakers. It works well enough, but it has fans that would be annoying if the amp were not in a cabinet. I just couldn't justify spending a lot of money for an amp that powers speakers which should be pretty much unnoticed.

~Jay

#2,759 · (Edited)
It has to be Frank; I cannot see anything else. ...@ this moment.

______

* EDIT: I had the Denon 7200 in mind when I posted my above post Frank. I simply confused the number; 7702-7200
Sorry about that Frank, and Joe. ...Then the delay for Joe (in Germany) could be anything else. Only his dealer truly knows, about that 'hardware change'.