AVS Forum banner

The **OFFICIAL** Marantz AV7702 Pre/Pro

Tags
av7702
460K views 7K replies 452 participants last post by  Sam Ash 
#1 · (Edited)
#4,329 ·
I agree with that statement. Owned the unit for a few months now and I watched Birdman last night and felt that the 7702 sounded freakin' awesome!! I know the movie may not be the explosive action flick that most people like to hear on their systems, but it sure sounded great, all the separation with the music and they way the surround is mixed into the "continuous shot" was great in my opinion.

#4,333 ·
No way i watched Birdman a few days ago and at the beginning they was a bunch of crazy sounds that came through crystal clear especially the cymbals. I am still very happy with the 7702 very very good sound quality.

#4,340 ·
The clicks from inside the pre/pro itself are electromechanical relays changing the speaker configuration. One way to avoid the sound during playback is to make sure you always have Dolby Surround engaged. That way all of the speaker channels are always enabled.

#4,341 ·
Hopefully a quick question...

I just ran my first automated room correction and then watched my first movie (Oblivion).

Was wondering first where the bass had gone until I realized that the DynamicEQ was off.

Enabled it and now I have almost a bit to much bass. Need to tinker with the sub settings a bit it seems. :rolleyes:

Anyway during Oblivion I found that the Center/Dialogue volume was really really low.

First thing I tried was to enable the Dialog Level Adjustment which resulted in the volume becoming even lower than it already was? Even when putting it to the max I barely could hear a difference.

I then disabled the option again and just rose the Center level +4 DB which was ok in the end.

Just wondering if I am missing something about the Dialog Level Adjustment function?

Felt really weird that it dropped the volume even more...

#4,347 ·
Enabled it and now I have almost a bit to much bass. Need to tinker with the sub settings a bit it seems. :rolleyes:

You should probably adjust the DynamicEQ's reference level offset instead of changing the actual sub level. The default is 0db, but I find that honestly a bit muddy, especially on dialogue... -5db or -10db (which I settled on) may suit you better.

#4,342 ·
^^
The Dialogue Level Adjust setting is nothing more than an adjustment of the center speaker volume; however, to avoid any strange issues by using the Dialog Level Adjust setting as you experienced, it is NOT recommended for use as it is a legacy setting which no longer has a place with the introduction of the Channel Level Adjust setting on the 2014 models. Either use the Manual Setup - Test Tones - Center for a "global" adjustment of the center channel across all sources or use the Option - Channel Level Adjust - Center for a "specific source" adjustment of the center channel.

#4,395 ·
Appreciate this post a lot, man. The AV7702 is my first Marantz product and I was always curious since before even buying it as to the difference between the center volume adjustment in Channel Level Adjust and the Dialogue Level Adjust. That being said, my solution after set up and tinkering around is that I turned on my Dialog Level Adjust option and the center got a small boost that put the output where I liked it, no adjustment to the dialog slider at all. Still sitting at 0.0 on both the Dialog adjust and the center in the Channel adjust. But this is good to know.

#4,344 ·
Listening to the Eagles Hotel California (DVD-A) on my Oppo-105D and I have two options that looks like they might work, multi channel in and multi channel in dolby. Any suggestions on which on I should select?

#4,350 ·
I have an OPPO BDP103D and have listened to many DVD-A recordings with the 7702. I prefer Dolby Pro Logic IIz, DTS Neo:X or Auro AuroMatic up-mixer (it's a tossup) for multi-channel audio. Dolby Surround Upmixer (DSU) is my least favorite format for multi-channel audio. Of course, you should try them for yourself as preferences vary greatly. :)

#4,364 ·
What are you running RMK? My studios are no where near ideal and I bought them for a 50/50 music/movie environment. I would love w dedicated two channel rig down the road.

#4,366 ·
It's not a dedicated two channel system. I run my HT mains (photo in sig) in 2 channel mode for most music. The exceptions are the occasional MC DVD-A or concert Bluray. My main speakers are +/-3db 16hz-24Khz and I run without subs even for HT. I am pretty much alone in this camp. :)

#4,367 ·
When I change between my music sources the video cuts off for about 5 seconds before it returns. I wonder if it's a bug and I have had this same issue since I bought the 7702?

#4,371 ·
Neo:X Music works with a 5.1 speaker set-up. I use it for 2 channel stereo sources like CDs and it sounds very good. I set the center gain to "0" so there is no fake center fill going on (default is .3). It doesn't mess with the R&L channel sound and adds a nice ambiance to the sound with the surrounds.

#4,372 ·
That's right: because you're providing it with an audio soundtrack which has fewer channels (2) than you have speakers (5).

DenonLover is trying to play a multichannel soundtrack, not stereo.

#4,377 ·
Last image showing the choices when I am running the HBO now app and Game of Thrones tonight. DTS NEO:X sounds better than Dolby Surround to my ears. It nice seeing the differences and makes me want to seek out the better recordings now when selecting my future movies on Bluray.

#4,383 ·
I've read through a large portion of this thread. There were a few comments regarding HDMI issues so I thought I'd add my experience. I picked up this unit back in December. Everything was great... until I swapped out an HDMI cable connected to my Oppo 103. I had found a better cable that I had forgotten about so I figured I'd give it a try. A few days after the cable was swapped out I started seeing random flickering every couple days. After a couple weeks my video started dropping out, which required a restart of the 7702 to get my picture back. I noticed that if I turned off any video conversion or scaling it would become more stable. Within a couple more weeks the video would drop off and the unit would freeze. Following countless resets the unit became bricked.

I took it in for service and they replaced the HDMI board and network interface. I was not having network issues so I'm not sure why they did that. I got it back last Saturday.

The unit seems to be functioning fine now. Strange thing is that the response seems much quicker when navigating around the menu or changing the volume. This may be my imagination but the sound quality seems to have improved. But then again... it could be because I had my amp connected straight to my oppo while the 7702 was in service and that's what I've been listening to.

#4,386 ·
My 7702 last night started developing video problems, like a handshake issue. I did a soft reset but no go. I was so frustrated I just unplugged it and went to bed. I hope I can get it to work again tonight without a total microprocessor reset - reset - reset - reset - reset:rolleyes:

#4,389 ·
Hi again, folks!

Continuing my work with multiple subwoofers and my AV7702. I went through a few steps:

I hooked up the two subwoofers to output 1 and output 2 respectively. Both are using wireless adapters due to their locations in the room.

Next, I used an SPL meter (in REW) to dial in the phase control on the subwoofers to eliminate as much cancellation as I could.

Finally, I ran audyssey.

Audyssey sets the subwoofer distances as 28.5ft and 56.5ft (respectively). However, when I go into the "Distances" screen in the Speakers setup menu and try to exit, I get a popup message that says, "Speaker distances are not valid, please set them again." When I hit "back" at that point, the distance of subwoofer 2 is changed to match subwoofer 1. If I hit back, this value doesn't save.

I checked the manual and I can't find any reference to this message. Does anyone know how it could be happening and what it means?

#4,404 ·
Thank you; that's exceptionally helpful! 6m is is about a 19.5 ft difference. It seems like one of my wireless adapters is adding far more delay than the other. Defective, maybe?

Either way, I have my answer. Thank you so much!