AVS Forum banner

Denon POA-5200 How good is it and is it worth keeping?

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ZenLunatique 
#1 ·
Was wondering what everyone thinks about this.

I just bought a left over new in box Denon POA-5200 for $350. I wasn't aware of how old it could be. I already sent an E-mail asking Denon if they could look up its manufacture date by its serial number and if it would still be covered under warranty.

I thought I was getting a really good deal considering all the specs. It dose everything that I would need it to and I don't think I could find something comparable for the same price.

Only reson I am asking is because I posted this fact on the Magnepan thread and it sounds like everyone thinks I got ripped off. I need to know what everyone thinks I should do in this situation.

I have limited knowledge on home audio amps and I need to know exactly what I got myself into.

#3 ·
Ok I ahve been looking everywhere trying to find a comparable amp for similar cost with no luck. Anything that's been comparable to this has been $800+

Everything in the $300-$600 range has been 40W-80W at 4 ohms. What am I missing here? I may not know much about home amps but this is getting frustrating. I like Marantz's MM7025 but that's $800. Cambridge's Azur 651W is $1,000, and the Azur 951A is $800.

I would need two Outlaw 2200 amps costing $379 new each. Or used selling for $230 each. But I suspect these don't have the same power behind the watts as the Denon would have.

The cheapest NAD amp I found was $650 and was 80W.

The Emotiva XPA-200 would be the closest thing to it costing $400. But again I question the power behind the watts. "I see why soo many people go to these."

Just not sure what to do. This is frustrating. Simply for the fact I may have been taken atvantage of because of my lack of experience with home amplifiers.

#4 ·
I have 4 of these (called POAT10 in Europe) that I bought over the last 8 years for various prices second hand. It is a good quality 2 channel power amp, all of mine are still working fine. I would say you have paid 50% over market price for a good bit of kit

#5 ·
I am going to try and return it. I just hope they don't give me problems. It looks like a smaller shop. This is actually one of the reasons I like buying for bigger stores. If for any reason you want to return or exchange they have to comply.

I am reconsidering the Emotiva XPA-200. Think I might give it a try. It has six caps so it should be good. Not sure how big they are though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.