AVS Forum banner

How to have speakers "always on" when using receiver in Windows 7?

334 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sawfish 
#1 · (Edited)
For me, Windows 7 likes to "shut off" my speaker inputs on my receiver when I'm not playing any audio.

The speaker input icons on the receiver disappear, and every time I play an audio file (youtube, mp3, etc.), they reappear. It seems Windows is not leaving my speaker ALWAYS on.

I'm trying to fix this because it takes 2 seconds for the audio to turn on and I miss the first 2 seconds of any sound, even while pausing and resuming movies.

Is there a way to permanently leave the speakers on the ON setting? Thank you.

Sony STR-DA4600ES connected to Nvidia GTX560 via HDMI.

#2 ·
You're describing the "Silent Stream Bug". Using Pioneer receivers, I found my Fermi cards (GT430, GTX460) keep the stream alive for Windows sounds as long as Shared Mode is configured in the Windows Sound Control Panel for the default 2-channel, 16 bit, 48 KHz "DVD Quality" format. My Kepler cards (GT720, GTX660) OTOH allow me to choose any of the formats. There may be a cutoff for the first sound played in a certain format, but afterwards, as long as the format doesn't change, there is no cutoff or even tiny clicks as audio is started/stopped for ordinary 2ch audio. If you have programs that use exclusive mode, you would need to set them to the same format you used for shared.

As for pausing/resuming or skipping around in movies in WMC, XBMC, and PotPlayer, there is often a tiny low-level click, but nothing like you're describing. This may be dependent on the AVR. If all else fails, you should be able to use S/PDIF from the motherboard to the AVR, which can carry DD5.1, DTS, and 2ch PCM up to 192/24.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.