Pioneer VSX-21TXH and Netflix DD+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-28-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pioneer VSX-21TXH and Netflix DD+

I have had the receiver for some time and love the sound. This summer I got a Roku and Netflix account. Everything was great until I noticed that all titles on Netflix in DD+ have poor sound quality, which is best described as wavy and a little robotic in the treble frequencies. This happens on all DD+ titles within the first 30 sec of watching but goes away if I change audio to be simply stereo. I tried other Roku channels that use DD+ and don't have a problem. I called Netflix and they say my receiver can't process their specific version of DD+, though Pioneer says they have never heard of multiple DD+ encoding types. My two questions: Does anyone else with a VSX-21TXH have problems with Netflix and DD+? Has anyone here heard of different DD+ encoding types? Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-28-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 490
The Netflix DD+ encoding problem is well known. See Dolby Digital Plus and Netflix on Various AVRs

Some receiver manufacturers have provided firmware updates to be compatible with the revised version of the Dolby DD+ encoder used by Netflix.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 4 Old 11-29-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the thread link, that is the exact problem.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-30-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

To update in case anyone else has this problem. After updating the Firmware I still had the issue. I again contacted Netflix and spoke with a manager. He had their techs look at the last couple of titles I viewed and, knowing when I said the problem began while watching the title, they were able to note what their system was doing. Netflix now says the problem is not with my receiver but with my internet connection. Netflix can see that their system is bringing sound quality down due to blips in internet speed. Now off to talk with Verizon, I'm sure that will go well.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page