AVS Forum banner

Pioneer Receiver ""Abnormality DC voltage..."

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  leftcoastjayhawk 
#1 ·
My Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver ALMOST made it to the 4 year mark before failing. After turning on, it now only works for a minute or so (maybe less) before shutting down. (on all inputs, volume levels, etc.) PQLS light is flashing after shutdown, which the diagnosis section of the 1020 Service Manual I found online says is indicative of an "...abnormality voltage of Digital power supply circuit for the D-MAIN Assy."

Pioneer service center said $200 to fix, which is about what I could buy a newer model (used) for (like a VSX-1021 or 1022). So I don't have anything to lose if I can fix it for a few bucks. Other than this recent problem it has been a great receiver for my use and I'd like to keep it going for a couple of more years until 4K and OLED technology is a little more mature and a lot cheaper...:)

If it is the power supply, that alone is $158 from Pioneer - more from other parts sites. So I'm not ready to experiment with that expensive a part. (the D-Main circut board is $496!!!)

But are there any repair experts out there that can tell me if there is something cheaper that might fix the problem? (like a capacitor that just needs replacing... I hope :)

I'm good with with assembling things like PCs (built my own HTPC) but soldering skills are a little rusty. (last experience soldering electronic parts was building a Heathkit indoor/outdoor thermometer in 1985...:)

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I can respect wanting to pay the $200 and hold off on a new receiver. I have a mistrust of repairs though, unless it's something simple, or a complete board replacement ( and for sure the problem is isolated to the board.)

I have had mixed results with repairs, so I usually just pay up for a new receiver. Normally I replace them for non technical reasons, but I had a Yamaha go bad that I got on sale, and was unwilling to repair it given the price I had paid and was willing to pay for comparable replacement. I figured repair would be half the cost of a new receiver which did not sit well with me :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.