AVS Forum banner

How much is Aragon 2002 Ultra2 worth?

7K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  javanpohl 
#1 ·
I'm looking into an Aragon 2002 Ultra2 THX amp that's being offered locally and would like to know what's a good price to pay.

Also, I have conflicting specifications on this.
Some mention it's 100 wpc while others mention it's 200 wpc.

Thanks for info.

See less See more
#9 ·
So you meant to say they just slapped THX label without any different than other amps.

Anyways, it may not be true on all amps but this amp has a lot of emphasis on bass.
I brought the Aragon 2002 home and compared against my Rotel RB-990BX.
Seller is close by so agreed to let me listen to them first.

I listened to few songs on Rotel RB-990BX and then plugged the Aragon.
Preamp was untouched but the volume level was less on Aragon.
So either it's not 200wpc or the Rotel is more than rated 200wpc as the Rotel was at higher level.

Aragon sounded slightly laid back (smooth?) and slighlty more bass than the Rotel.
I increased volume level and it sounds pretty much the same as Rotel except emphasis on bass and less details on highs/mids.
They both sound very similar though.

I'll do more comparison in the next few days but don't think it'll be much improvement over the rotel.
Speakers are Vandersteen 3A signatures.

$1500 msrp
$545-665 used retail
$280-340 mint wholesale
B.
Yes, he wants lower end of that retail range.

#15 ·
I've had an Aragon 2007 for years and yes just like the 2002 it's 200WPC into 8 ohms and 340WPC into 4 ohms. They will drive low impedance loads quite easily in most cases.

And a well designed amp including the Aragon doesn't emphasize anything it just amplifies the signal it's sent.

As to the lower volume of the Aragon it's almost certainly that it requires a higher input voltage for a given volume than the Rotel. That's a function of the pre amps output voltage and varies from model to model so it's not an issue unless the pre amp cannot supply enough voltage to drive the amp to rated power.

#16 ·
As to the lower volume of the Aragon it's almost certainly that it requires a higher input voltage for a given volume than the Rotel. That's a function of the pre amps output voltage and varies from model to model so it's not an issue unless the pre amp cannot supply enough voltage to drive the amp to rated power.
Yes, that sounds like what's happening.
It's not an issue to increase the pre-amp volume few clicks, it's the sound that matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.