AVS Forum banner

Help picking a new AVR

541 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  NINaudio 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for help in choosing a new AVR around the $600 range, upgrading from an old Sony STR-DA5000ES. Currently considering the Sony STR-DN1050 or the Denon AVR-S9000W. Will be hooking up blu-ray, cable, laptop, cd player to the AVR and passing the signal to a Samsung UN55h7150. Speakers in use are older Boston Acoustics models: Lynnfield VR950 mains (sensitivity 90dB), VR10 center channel, no surrounds as of yet (searching for a suitable pair to use), and a supercube SC4000 subwoofer. Split is about 50/50 between listening to music and watching movies, so good musical sound quality and picture quality are definitely of importance to me. Do you suggest either of these models, or any others that I should look into?

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
So what makes that a better choice than the S9000W? I see it has better room correction software, but the HDMI inputs are only 1.4a, not the 2.0 that the S9000W has.

Edit: Or should I not worry about HDMI 2.0/hdcp 2.2 for the forseeable future? I tend to hold onto my audio equipment for long periods of time (ie. my current receiver is 14 years or so old)

#4 ·
With any new AVR purchase, you'll likely simply pass the video through untouched as the source device or TV will likely do just as good a job and when you upgrade your TV to 4k and if HDCP 2.2 is implemented in it, you would have to purchase a dual HDMI Blu Ray player to pass the video directly to the TV with any of the above models as the full 4k color video/HDCP 2.2 chip won't be released until early 2015 and implemented starting with the new spring/summer 2015 models. If you don't plan on updating the TV for many years, than HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 won't matter. Not too mention, if you wait another 5 years, 8K TVs may be on the market.

#5 ·
Great, thanks! Any opinion on a receiver? I've been thinking of spending up a bit to get a Marantz. 5009, 6008, and 7007 are all in the $800-900 range. Though I read about some issues with the units freezing which is a bit troubling.

#7 ·
So if I were to get the Denon AVR-X4000, which has Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, how much of a step up in sound quality is it over MultEQ XT?

#9 ·
Well, that seals the deal for me then. I want MultEQ XT 32! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.