Connect Apple TV to Denon Receiver without Optical Input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 4 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Connect Apple TV to Denon Receiver without Optical Input?

I like using the Apple Airplay feature to wireless stream music from my iphone through my Yamaha AV Receiver using the Apple TV. However, I prefer listening to music on my Denon 2 channel receiver. It just sounds better.....The Denon receiver doesn't have an digital optical input. I was wondering if there's a converter that would allow me to convert the optical plug coming from the Apple TV to an audio jack on my receiver. If so, where can I find a quality one at a reasonable price. Does the sound quality remain the same or is it degraded through the conversion process?

Thank you for your help!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsteeves View Post
I like using the Apple Airplay feature to wireless stream music from my iphone through my Yamaha AV Receiver using the Apple TV. However, I prefer listening to music on my Denon 2 channel receiver. It just sounds better.....The Denon receiver doesn't have an digital optical input. I was wondering if there's a converter that would allow me to convert the optical plug coming from the Apple TV to an audio jack on my receiver. If so, where can I find a quality one at a reasonable price. Does the sound quality remain the same or is it degraded through the conversion process?

Thank you for your help!
Dave
Take your pick, can't comment on sound quality though
As I've never needed one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...82&rnid=493964
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsteeves View Post

Thank you for your help!
Dave
What you need is an outboard DAC to convert your digital signal from the Apple TV to an analog signal for the Denon. DAC's can literally range in price from$50- over a thousand dollars, however, if you are just looking for a good affordable solution i would not hesitate to recommend a DAC from Schiit Audio (yes it's pronounced like "S*%#") Anyways, they are a small american company with great customer support and service. I use their MODI DAC for my office computer audio setup. This is affordable model at $149 and has both a USB input (for computers) and an Optical input for you Apple TV, you just have to make sure you select the "Modi 2 Uber" model to get the optical input. Then you just need some decent RCA stereo cables to go between the MODI DAC and your Denon.
Good Luck

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
post #4 of 4 Unread Today, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys for taking the time to help answer my question. Happy Holidays!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page