post #1 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did i just got screwed?

Hi,

My amp (classe audio cap 151) had the following problem:
constant buzzing sound, even when volume on zero (and no other sources connected)
The lights went out one time. I touched the amp and I got a shock
The right channel sounds a bit louder, also more buzz

I brought it to a repair store. They didn't really hear anything but they said they resetted it and it sounded fine.
Their site state as follow: We are definitely the cheapest, we don't charge examin costs, when we in fact do something and it gets more expensive then 40 euro's, we will call you. If you dond't agree you don't have to pay anything,

NOW: they say I have to pay 40 euro's. Because they say they in fact did something: reset the amp. To do this they had to deconnect everything in the amp, wait a while, and put it back together.
How do you in fact reset an amp, and is it really normal to charge 40 euro's for this? they said they where teh cheapest

Did I just got screwed??

Last edited by Abupa; Yesterday at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Yes and no. That's probably the cheapest cost you could expect from that place. And you learned to reset it yourself next time before handing it in. It's a pity you didn't try it of course.

I had a Pioneer which didn't want to restart right away after a full power cut. After a few days or week it started again and worked just fine, so of course it decided to work when I handed it in...

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #3 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Maybe it's just me, though I don't think so, but there have been a number of times in my life where I've paid somebody to repair or install or whatever and watched them do it just to have that "I could have done that myself" moment. Of course there have also been those "no way I'd do that" moments too.....like pumping a septic tank. Anyhow, maybe you got took, maybe not but next time you know what to check for first. Have to also say I'm not sure about how a reset could stop getting shocked when touching the case. Maybe but that doesn't add up to me. ????
post #4 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Not too many business work for free.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0
post #5 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Did they say anything about the shock you felt?
(It isn't clear to me if that happened before or after the noise problem.)

That could have been caused either by an electrical fault in the equipment or just due to a static electricity discharge. An electrical fault in the equipment could be life-threatening. Static electricity usually is just caused by a build-up in your body due to shuffling over carpets, etc, when the air in your home is very dry in the winter.

A reset can't do anything for electrical faults.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #6 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abupa View Post
Hi,

My amp (classe audio cap 151) had the following problem:
constant buzzing sound, even when volume on zero (and no other sources connected)
The lights went out one time. I touched the amp and I got a shock
The right channel sounds a bit louder, also more buzz

I brought it to a repair store. They didn't really hear anything but they said they resetted it and it sounded fine.
Their site state as follow: We are definitely the cheapest, we don't charge examin costs, when we in fact do something and it gets more expensive then 40 euro's, we will call you. If you dond't agree you don't have to pay anything,

NOW: they say I have to pay 40 euro's. Because they say they in fact did something: reset the amp. To do this they had to deconnect everything in the amp, wait a while, and put it back together.
How do you in fact reset an amp, and is it really normal to charge 40 euro's for this? they said they where teh cheapest

Did I just got screwed??
Given the buzz and the shock, you may have a ground issue.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The store also lost my remote. They are looking for it now..
And my amp doesn't work at all all of a sudden. There's no sounds from the right channel. I hope they didn't put it back together correctly, that something is loose.
I'm really dissapointed with this company.

I'm going back there tomorrow and demand they fix it for free, since it only got worse.
If I can't do anything about it, I'm just going to send it to someone I know on an audio forum.

Maybe there is something with my grounds too yes. But first I'm going to bring it back.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors