• 1 Post By FMW

post #1 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2 Channel power amp suggestion needed

Hi ,

I am interested in getting an amp for my 8ohm speakers. Planning to run 2 channel configuration.
Prefer stereo power amps but considering integrated amps as well.Also need the amp to be compact and under 400$

Based on my reading I found below models, all of them seem to get good reviews
1) Emotiva UPA 200
2) Emotiva mini-x a100 (integrated amp)
3) Behringer A500
4) Crown NXLS 1500

which amp out of these, will provide clean output to my Sierra 2 speakers.
Also, can a subwoofer be connected to mini-x a100 in addition to speakers?

Any other suggestions also would help. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have the Emotiva XPA-200 and think it sounds pretty darn good for a budget amp.

Your sub woofer does not have an integrated amp? The a-100 is really not designed to drive just a sub and would not use it as such.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ----------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Marantz SR6009 AVR & Rogue Audio Atlas Tube Amplification
Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE--B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I had the UPA200 but returned it and bought the UPA700 for $50 more was a no brainer for future upgrade-ability.

Call Emotiva and ask for Bstock, if you decide to go with them.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Why would you consider both integrated and power amps? What do you have for a pre-amp if you get a power amp? What sources will you have?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #5 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
I have the Emotiva XPA-200 and think it sounds pretty darn good for a budget amp.

Your sub woofer does not have an integrated amp? The a-100 is really not designed to drive just a sub and would not use it as such.
I am not connecting subwoofer. I just need to power my speakers in 2.0 configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
I had the UPA200 but returned it and bought the UPA700 for $50 more was a no brainer for future upgrade-ability.

Call Emotiva and ask for Bstock, if you decide to go with them.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Why would you consider both integrated and power amps? What do you have for a pre-amp if you get a power amp? What sources will you have?
I do not yet have a pre-amp. I was planning to run RCA from my DAC(schiit modi) to power amp and control volume on my laptop. This should do for now till i upgrade to a pre/pro later.
I was considering integrated amp because it basically does the same a power amp but with volume control.
Right now EMO Sale is going, so thought i ll pick one soon.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW I currently am using Crown XLS1500s with Sierra 1s.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #7 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
FWIW I currently am using Crown XLS1500s with Sierra 1s.
May i know how you find your setup and if u had a chance to compare with other amps?

I too was considering XLS1500,but it seems to be missing toroid transformer(which everyone seems to like). Also Emo has UPA 200 at a lower price.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The Crown and the A-100 have integrated volume controls, so they would be good choices right now. The Crown has lots more power, the A-100 has outputs to easily connect a sub.

The counter to both of those points is that you probably need very little power and you can attach a sub to a 2.0 system in many ways.

They are both great, I have the A-100 and have used Crown. The Crown uses D amps, toroidal isn't an issue, really. They are pro amps, quality is high.

Actually, I think the Crown also has pass-thru that could go to a sub.
maheeinfy likes this.

Last edited by Spiky; 12-28-2014 at 08:17 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
May i know how you find your setup and if u had a chance to compare with other amps?

I too was considering XLS1500,but it seems to be missing toroid transformer(which everyone seems to like). Also Emo has UPA 200 at a lower price.
I used Carver M500t's before I tried the XLS1500s as well as my Onkyo receiver; the power amps are mostly overkill. I just wanted to try the pro amps after all I'd read plus my Carver amps were getting quite old and was thinking of having them recapped, and figured I could always use an amp (I have a few two ch pre amps too) and I have a diy sub project coming up. Great watt to $ ratio with the Crowns, just depends on how many watts you want. If the Emotiva works for you and is cheaper, get it.

Not sure what your thinking is regarding a toroidal transformer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
The Crown and the A-100 have integrated volume controls, so they would be good choices right now. The Crown has lots more power, the A-100 has outputs to easily connect a sub.

The counter to both of those points is that you probably need very little power and you can attach a sub to a 2.0 system in many ways.

They are both great, I have the A-100 and have used Crown. The Crown uses D amps, toroidal isn't an issue, really. They are pro amps, quality is high.

Actually, I think the Crown also has pass-thru that could go to a sub.
The Crown XLS has great connectivity, using rca now from my preamp, and speaker wire with bananas to the speakers, will use the xlr when I put them to passive sub duties. The Crowns have built in dsp/crossover.
maheeinfy likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 06:35 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by maheeinfy View Post
I am not connecting subwoofer. I just need to power my speakers in 2.0 configuration.

Thanks for the tip.

I do not yet have a pre-amp. I was planning to run RCA from my DAC(schiit modi) to power amp and control volume on my laptop. This should do for now till i upgrade to a pre/pro later.
I was considering integrated amp because it basically does the same a power amp but with volume control.
Right now EMO Sale is going, so thought i ll pick one soon.

I use the little D amp below for my computer audio. It drives a pair of bookshelf speakers quite well. $69 or so on Amazon. Plenty of power and a volume control.

maheeinfy likes this.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for great responses.

I am thinking of going all in by upping my budget and getting a DAC and amp together

DAC - Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2
Power Amp - UPA-200

This setup is going to power my Sierra 2s.
Anyone care to comment on the synergy between these components?

I am also planning to get X RCA cable and X OT optical cable from Emotiva.

Last edited by maheeinfy; 12-29-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page