• 1 Post By audio2xs
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reciever? Bluetooth?

I want a good sounding system for music and for hometheater.

It’s been over 20 years since I been in the market for receiverand audio equipment.
What should I be looking for in receiver? Bluetooth? What software’s do you use to play music? Still use CD players? Computer? If uploading to computer, what software do I use and what format shouldI upload and save my music? Please be gentle with me, I am not that up todate on audio terms.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Like anything these days, be sure whatever you buy has internet connectivity. As an example, new receivers have not only bluetooth, but Apple airplay for local streaming. I'm a fan of the Spotify Connect feature. You can stream Spotify from the internet directly to the receiver using your smartphone or tablet as a remote control. Very nice integration.
Norboo likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 139
We are rapidly drawing to the end of physical media, though there is at this time plenty of good music still available on CD, most music purchased today is via download. That means your music library will be computer-based. So a computer is the first element.

Second is a means to play it through a good quality system, and since you mentioned home theater, you'll be looking at an AV Receiver (AVR), and for video and movies, a minimum of three speakers near your screen.

The third part of this is a network that ties it all together. Since you're on the Internet, that usually implies the basic building blocks are there. If you have WiFi at home now, that implies a home network is already in place.

The last part of the music system is the computer software used to store and play the music. I'd probably suggest starting with iTunes, though I'm not as big a fan as I used to be, it's still an easy and free way to get started. The only setting to worry about before you start loading music from CD is to choose your compression settings. Here's a short article about that, basically, you want Apple Lossless (ALC) for perfect CD imports. When you load in your CDs, iTunes will manage your library, download album art, categorize the music (sometimes), let you build playlists, and you can even arrange to backup to "the cloud", though there are other methods outside of Apple to do backups. I know many don't like iTunes, and I know the issues, but it is an easy way to get going, and frankly, the other options are all more difficult for the first time user.

Down the road if you decide to buy some HD Audio files (another discussion entirely) you may want to run Plex or some other DLNA server, since iTunes still doesn't handle them. But that's not a difficult change, and doesn't eliminate iTunes.

I suggest you look at Denon AVRs that include AirPlay. The AVR will connect to your network and work with iTunes, plus later it will also work with Plex if you decide to go that way. No need for Bluetooth, though most have it now. Even starting with the AVR-S500BT you'll find the features you need. It will connect to your WiFi network, appear in iTunes as a playback device, and handle all your home theater needs.
Norboo likes this.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I really enjoy using my Spotify app with my Denon AVR 1912. I've tried many streaming apps, Spotify so far is my favorite. You can adjust the quality of the music and select to have it downloaded within the app so you won't have to live stream it on your network. The signal is a bit weaker than a direct connection, but is still very good.
Norboo likes this.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadspeed View Post
I really enjoy using my Spotify app with my Denon AVR 1912. I've tried many streaming apps, Spotify so far is my favorite. You can adjust the quality of the music and select to have it downloaded within the app so you won't have to live stream it on your network. The signal is a bit weaker than a direct connection, but is still very good.
The new way to use Spotify (need a recent AVR) is with Spotify Connect. The AVR is just the network receiver of the Spotify stream. There is no "app" on the receiver. You control Spotify from the tablet or mobile device, but that device is not part of the actual streaming. Very nice way to do it. Spotify Premium is required, You also get 320K.
Norboo likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Is there big difference between Denon and Martanz? Same company?
post #7 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norboo View Post
Is there big difference between Denon and Martanz? Same company?
Big, no. Slight differences in features and prices.
Norboo likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Looking at Marantz SR5009. Pro's and Con's?
post #9 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
Quote:
The new way to use Spotify (need a recent AVR) is with Spotify Connect. The AVR is just the network receiver of the Spotify stream. There is no "app" on the receiver. You control Spotify from the tablet or mobile device, but that device is not part of the actual streaming. Very nice way to do it. Spotify Premium is required, You also get 320K.
Damn it! Just got this reciever a few years ago! I have spotify premium, but the 1912 only supports pandora, I heart, and apple AirPlay. It's connected so they should be able to update it to support this feature....... I would hope it happens. 320k is what I have my quality set to now. Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looking at Marantz SR5009. Pro's and Con's?
Pro: good feature set
Con: Audyssey XT only, XT32 is better, price
Look for a Denon x4000, discontinued model but still out there new, has Audyssey XT32 and everything else, deep discounted prices now.
Norboo likes this.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Damn it! Just got this reciever a few years ago! I have spotify premium, but the 1912 only supports pandora, I heart, and apple AirPlay. It's connected so they should be able to update it to support this feature....... I would hope it happens. 320k is what I have my quality set to now. Thanks for the info.
Im pretty sure Spotify Connect requires certain hardware only in new receivers. My TV has a Spotify app. I was shocked how terrible it is. You can only use playlists you have made. All of the browsing features are missing. You get 160K and still need premium to use it! The Connect way to do it is awesome. If you cant, then airplay is next best. Uses your device battery, and you will get audio interruptions from txt messages and such, but still works well. Bluetooth is another way. With all of them you still use your phone/tablet app to control what you are listening to.
Norboo likes this.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked: 1966
Quote:
Spotify Connect will only be supported on the 2014 and newer Denon and Marantz models as it is a hardware change.
Norboo likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #13 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio2xs View Post
Pro: good feature set
Con: Audyssey XT only, XT32 is better, price
Look for a Denon x4000, discontinued model but still out there new, has Audyssey XT32 and everything else, deep discounted prices now.
Basically, Denon is way to go? More bang for the buck? What are some current good models to look at?

I am not sure what my budget is but I plan on spending around $3000 on speakers. AVR that will compliment these speakers well.
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or MartinLogan Motion 60XT.

Last edited by Norboo; 01-02-2015 at 12:58 PM.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-02-2015, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Basically, Denon is way to go? More bang for the buck? What are some current good models to look at?

I am not sure what my budget is but I plan on spending around $3000 on speakers.
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or MartinLogan Motion 60XT.
Check Denon.com and marantz.com for current models. Prices on current units are controlled so anyone selling below the minimum price is not an authorized dealer so you'll have a great price and no warranty.

The biggest bang for the buck is always one model behind current. There are few changes that affect most buyers this year, Dolby Atmos being the big one, but only on the upper end models.
Norboo likes this.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone that posted. Gave me lots to think about. I think I narrowed my options down to Spotify Connect and Audyssey XT32. I can do without Dolby Atmos.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-06-2015, 04:27 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked: 1966
Quote:
Thanks to everyone that posted. Gave me lots to think about. I think I narrowed my options down to Spotify Connect and Audyssey XT32. I can do without Dolby Atmos.
The only models with Spotify Connect and XT32 will also have Dolby Atmos.
Norboo likes this.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #17 of 19 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've been looking at bluetooth receivers for my older receiver but I have been reading that bluetooth is lossy and can diminish the quality of the sound. I would like the convenience of managing my music on my smartphone but get the best quality to my home audio receiver (not so picky in my car). Is there a better option, sound quality wise, to getting the music on my Android phone into the RCA jacks on my receiver?

Jim
post #18 of 19 Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
I've been looking at bluetooth receivers for my older receiver but I have been reading that bluetooth is lossy and can diminish the quality of the sound. I would like the convenience of managing my music on my smartphone but get the best quality to my home audio receiver (not so picky in my car). Is there a better option, sound quality wise, to getting the music on my Android phone into the RCA jacks on my receiver?
Blue tooth isn't bad but it does sound little muddy. I use apple and iTune. It connect via AirPlay. It sounds very good since I recorded everything on apple lossless format.

Do you have all your music in MP3 format? Are they stored on your computer? If so, connect with your computer and download an app to control with your smart phone.

Martin Logan: Depth i
I'll try anything once....well, almost anything. ;)
post #19 of 19 Old Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Blue tooth isn't bad but it does sound little muddy. I use apple and iTune. It connect via AirPlay. It sounds very good since I recorded everything on apple lossless format.

Do you have all your music in MP3 format? Are they stored on your computer? If so, connect with your computer and download an app to control with your smart phone.
Thanks to another thread I discovered that Bluetooth devices with apt-X will transmit a lossless version of your music file. I use Amazon Music to manage my mp3 collection on my phone which supports apt-X. So it's now just a matter of picking a receiver that supports apt-X.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors