Probably a dumb question but need help. Any auto HDMI switching receivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Knucklehead90

Old 01-09-2015, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably a dumb question but need help. Any auto HDMI switching receivers?

IE when I switch the TV input to say HDMI 1 which is piped to my PS4 it'll switch audio automatically without me having to switch the input on the receiver. Then switch back to STB by just switching TV input and having audio follow? I'm guessing no as the TV will only have one HDMI input for video. So with that said, I am going to assume that when I were to switch the audio input on the receiver it would automatically switch the video too? Is that generally displayed on screen during input selecting w/ these HDMI receivers? If so I could just program an aux key on my remote to switch the input of the receiver so long as I can see what input is being selected on the TV (I'll be hiding my receiver).

Thanks guys and I hope this made some sense.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Having a hard time following how your equipment is connected.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
IE when I switch the TV input to say HDMI 1 which is piped to my PS4 it'll switch audio automatically without me having to switch the input on the receiver. Then switch back to STB by just switching TV input and having audio follow? I'm guessing no as the TV will only have one HDMI input for video. So with that said, I am going to assume that when I were to switch the audio input on the receiver it would automatically switch the video too? Is that generally displayed on screen during input selecting w/ these HDMI receivers? If so I could just program an aux key on my remote to switch the input of the receiver so long as I can see what input is being selected on the TV (I'll be hiding my receiver).

Thanks guys and I hope this made some sense.

Dave
Not sure I understand your question. However, if you connect all your devices PS4, Cable Box, Blu-ray, etc... to a receiver with HDMI and then run one HDMI from the receiver to the TV many new receivers will change inputs automatically when a device is turned on.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I believe you are over-thinking this - and aren't up to date on the state of AVR's these days. HDMI AVRs are nearly universal in having audio AND video stream over the HDMI cable. When you switch from one HDMI source to anther audio and video are right there without you or the AVR having to do anything else. IOW its automatic.
old corps likes this.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if all my devices are connected via HDMI on the receiver I would switch the input on the receiver itself and it would also switch the video to match the selected audio input? When you make this switch does it display the selected input on the tv? Reason I ask this is I will not be able to see the front of my AVR as it will be in a closet w/ n IR extender. I'm looking to switch audio/video at the same time w/ the same remote. I am going to be moving my tv to another location and may be switching things around. My tv only has one audio output (Optical) and all components go into the tv then optical from tv to the AVR. By doing this I could switch video input on the TV and the audio would follow the video w/ only input changes at tv.

Dave
Old 01-09-2015, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
So if all my devices are connected via HDMI on the receiver I would switch the input on the receiver itself and it would also switch the video to match the selected audio input?
Yes.
Quote:
When you make this switch does it display the selected input on the tv?
That depends on the design of the specific AVR. Most include an "Info" button (or equivalent) which puts up an on-screen display which includes the name of the currently active input.
Quote:
Reason I ask this is I will not be able to see the front of my AVR as it will be in a closet w/ n IR extender. I'm looking to switch audio/video at the same time w/ the same remote. I am going to be moving my tv to another location and may be switching things around. My tv only has one audio output (Optical) and all components go into the tv then optical from tv to the AVR. By doing this I could switch video input on the TV and the audio would follow the video w/ only input changes at tv.
As previous posters wrote, the audio follows the video exactly as it does on your TV.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 01-10-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
So if all my devices are connected via HDMI on the receiver I would switch the input on the receiver itself and it would also switch the video to match the selected audio input? When you make this switch does it display the selected input on the tv? Reason I ask this is I will not be able to see the front of my AVR as it will be in a closet w/ n IR extender. I'm looking to switch audio/video at the same time w/ the same remote. I am going to be moving my tv to another location and may be switching things around. My tv only has one audio output (Optical) and all components go into the tv then optical from tv to the AVR. By doing this I could switch video input on the TV and the audio would follow the video w/ only input changes at tv.

Dave
By doing this I could switch video input on the TV and the audio would follow the video w/ only input changes at tv. No. You would switch video inputs on the receiver. The TV will stay on the same input for all of your devices. The receiver changes both audio and video when you select a device from the receiver remote.