Power amp selection... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 8 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Power amp selection...

Obviously new to the forum (1 post!). I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1700, Paradigm Mini Monitors v5, and Definitive Technology PF15TL+ Subwoofer. I want to add a power amp to my system. I have been looking at the Emotiva UPA-200, XPA-200, XPA-2, XPA-3, and XPA-5. I plan on adding Monitor 9's and a Center 1 or 3... My understanding and lack of knowledge on audiophile has quickly hit a wall. I use my system for music, movies, and games.

So my questions: What amp pairs best with the Mini Monitors? I was looking at the XPA-2 because it would be better to power Monitor 9's(thinking ahead)? And the XPA-3 for the Mini's and Center. Or would the UPA-200, XPA-200 be enough for Mini's or the Monitor 9's.

I hope that makes sense... Need an amp to power Mini Monitors but will be enough to switch on Monitor 9's.

Also, open to amplifier suggestions as well as tower speakers comparable to Paradigm's Monitor 9's! A well taken care of used maybe?

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Any amp will do including the ones included in your receiver. Just buy whatever makes you happy.
post #3 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Ignore him

XPA are in a higher class to UPA. If you're looking for internet direct, there's also Outlaw. You have options of monoblocs, two, three, four, five, six and seven (depending on amp make) what you settle with is up to you.

A single 7 channel is ideal if you want a single box. However, if you have a decent AVR you may just use the side and surrounds with external amps, and then use a 3 channel external amp. Or if you're into pure 2 channel then obviously you'd want a 2 channel.

I personally use a 3 channel and two 2 channel power amplifiers.

With the XPA or similar you'd never need another power amplifier.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Ignore him

There you go. That should strengthen your case.
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayzur View Post
Obviously new to the forum (1 post!). I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1700, Paradigm Mini Monitors v5, and Definitive Technology PF15TL+ Subwoofer. I want to add a power amp to my system. I have been looking at the Emotiva UPA-200, XPA-200, XPA-2, XPA-3, and XPA-5. I plan on adding Monitor 9's and a Center 1 or 3... My understanding and lack of knowledge on audiophile has quickly hit a wall. I use my system for music, movies, and games.

So my questions: What amp pairs best with the Mini Monitors? I was looking at the XPA-2 because it would be better to power Monitor 9's(thinking ahead)? And the XPA-3 for the Mini's and Center. Or would the UPA-200, XPA-200 be enough for Mini's or the Monitor 9's.

I hope that makes sense... Need an amp to power Mini Monitors but will be enough to switch on Monitor 9's.

Also, open to amplifier suggestions as well as tower speakers comparable to Paradigm's Monitor 9's! A well taken care of used maybe?

B
The issue is overall power capability. The Yamaha claim to be able to provide 130 watts per channel from that receiver is a bad joke that should not be taken seriously. There is a huge difference between driving a resistor on a test bench and actually driving the complex electrical load of a loudspeaker system without significant distortion.

Most HT receivers, including yours, do not have enough total power available from the power supply to run all the channels at once when the speakers need peak current. With all channels driven, I will bet that your receiver can't provide much more than 40 watts per channel without the speakers distorting audibly.

Just adding a power amplifier for the front speakers shifts that load away from the receiver, and then it should run the remaining channels reasonably well.

I suggest the Marantz MM7025 amplifier to power your front channels; that should be all you need. IMO it sounds better than the Emotiva amps and has enough power for almost any speakers.

At only $599 each the Paradigm Monitor 9 is a good value. The Monitor Audio Silver Series 6 is IMO definitely a better speaker, however, at $750 each. PSB also has excellent speakers in that price range.

Last edited by commsysman; Yesterday at 04:46 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 212
someone on av had anthem AVR, added emotiva xpa5 for Kef LS50's. Kefs are low impedence, and low sensivitiy so need decent amplifiers. Very noticeable improvement.

I'm using 4 ohm speakers on both systems (amps are 300W and 175W into 4 ohm)

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 187
As a former Owner of Paradigm Mini-monitors,
Titan Monitors, Monitor 11's and the CC-190
(All version 5) I can confidently state that no
External amp is need with these speakers.
Your Yamaha will do just fine.
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post
Ignore him

XPA are in a higher class to UPA. If you're looking for internet direct, there's also Outlaw. You have options of monoblocs, two, three, four, five, six and seven (depending on amp make) what you settle with is up to you.

A single 7 channel is ideal if you want a single box. However, if you have a decent AVR you may just use the side and surrounds with external amps, and then use a 3 channel external amp. Or if you're into pure 2 channel then obviously you'd want a 2 channel.

I personally use a 3 channel and two 2 channel power amplifiers.

With the XPA or similar you'd never need another power amplifier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
The issue is overall power capability. The Yamaha claim to be able to provide 130 watts per channel from that receiver is a bad joke that should not be taken seriously. There is a huge difference between driving a resistor on a test bench and actually driving the complex electrical load of a loudspeaker system without significant distortion.

Most HT receivers, including yours, do not have enough total power available from the power supply to run all the channels at once when the speakers need peak current. With all channels driven, I will bet that your receiver can't provide much more than 40 watts per channel without the speakers distorting audibly.

Just adding a power amplifier for the front speakers shifts that load away from the receiver, and then it should run the remaining channels reasonably well.

I suggest the Marantz MM7025 amplifier to power your front channels; that should be all you need. IMO it sounds better than the Emotiva amps and has enough power for almost any speakers.

At only $599 each the Paradigm Monitor 9 is a good value. The Monitor Audio Silver Series 6 is IMO definitely a better speaker, however, at $750 each. PSB also has excellent speakers in that price range.

I actually just started looking more into the Studio series Paradigm offers... The Mini's fit into my price range 7-8 years ago while I was getting myself through college and was looking at the Monitor 9's to match. I have a local dealer that has a set of Monitor Audio Silver 8's I should see what they are like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page