The best receiver for under $500 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 13 Old 01-23-2015, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The best receiver for under $500

The new receivers I am looking are below. What receiver would give the best sound or is it totally subjective. I do like the Airplay function. but would have to buy a wireless dongle for the Yamaha. If I went with one of the Onkyo receivers I could just connect an Airport Express to my receiver and get Airplay. Does anyone have any of these receivers or can add some more into the discussion. Not sure that it matters, but would be pairing a new receiver with the Samsung 65” Class UHD HU8550 Series TV. Appreciate any advice or tips on this topic.

Onkyo TX-NR626

Onkyo TX-NR636

Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A receiver adds a little bit of audio colorization, but not much. Speakers add far more, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Beyond that, I'll add that I've had both Onkyo and Yamaha in the last 4-5 years and I think they sound similar. (Just comparison purposes, I didn't like the sound of a Marantz I tried out; so I think if you like one of Onkyo/Yamaha you'll like the other.)

My experience with the brands is that you'll get more bells and whistles in the Onkyo, but the Yamaha "feels" sturdier and more stable. Based on that I'd say if you are a swapper and will be changing the receiver in a couple of years, get the Onkyo; if you're going to keep it for a while, get the Yamaha. (Full disclosure, I've switched over to all Yamaha receivers.)

Between the two Onkyos, if you're going to use zone-2, I'd get the 636 for the digital to analog conversion.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-23-2015, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like yammy. 675 gets my vote.

■ Samsung (PN51F8500)
■ Sony (BDP-S590)
■ Yamaha (RX-V475)
■ Pioneer (BS22□C22)
■ SVS (PB-1000)
SVS (PC12-NSD)
■ PS4□PS3 Slim 120gb□Xbox One
post #4 of 13 Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap2587 View Post
The new receivers I am looking are below. What receiver would give the best sound or is it totally subjective. I do like the Airplay function. but would have to buy a wireless dongle for the Yamaha. If I went with one of the Onkyo receivers I could just connect an Airport Express to my receiver and get Airplay. Does anyone have any of these receivers or can add some more into the discussion. Not sure that it matters, but would be pairing a new receiver with the Samsung 65” Class UHD HU8550 Series TV. Appreciate any advice or tips on this topic.

Onkyo TX-NR626

Onkyo TX-NR636

Each uses a different kind of calibration software as well: YPAO vs AccuEQ
post #5 of 13 Old 01-23-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 58
There are other options so don't limit yourself to just those 3. Here is another option you could consider. It has Audyssey Multi EQ XT which in most opinions is better than AccuEQ http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

Last edited by TCARCIO; 01-23-2015 at 12:43 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-23-2015, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the great information so far. This is what I am gathering from the replies and reading about the products.

Onkyo has more bells and whistles - WiFi, Bluetooth. Would love to know any other extra features that it has that maybe not on the Yamaha RX-V675. I think the Onkyo's run hotter and maybe a greater chance of something going wrong due to over heating, board failure and is not built as sturdy.

The Yamaha is a solid choice and a better chance to last longer. Is it as future proof as the Onkyo receivers (4K, HDMI 2.0 etc). I think the Denon suggested maybe a little more than I want to spend. What receivers include the Audyssey Multi EQ XT? Is this just a specific type of set up or does it offer better sound.

Thanks for any additional information.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Well Onkyos problems with the HDMI boards are well documented but I have the Onkyo TX-nr809 and I love it. I have had it for 2.5 years now with no problems. As far as heat goes mine doesn't run hot at all. It gets warm but not hot like some people have said. Audyssey XT is great and it really helps EQ the sound to my room and makes a really big difference.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Onkyo will have a much more user friendly setup menu.
I think Yamaha has trained monkeys designing their menus or something? Can't stand them.

I have Yammy and Onkyo and have had problems with both, but would probably buy them again.

I agree that they sound very similar but I do think Yamaha does sound brighter with the highs accentuated a bit more.

VIDEO: JVC DLA-RS57U Projector / 106" Grandview fixed frame screen - Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PlayStation 3 AVR: Onkyo TX-NR3009 SPEAKERS: Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains - Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center - Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4 SUBWOOFERS: SVS PB2000 / Velodyne DPS-12
post #9 of 13 Old 01-26-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Is Atmos worth picking up if i have no plans to purchase new speakers in the near future? $499 for Atmos seems downright inexpensive compared to other models. Will Atmos improve existing 5.1 to sound better or nothing noticeable?

Last edited by Adam2001; 01-26-2015 at 11:47 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-27-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

If you can find a receiver within your budget that has Atmos then go for it, if not then I wouldn't worry about it. Myself I would rather spend the money on a receiver with better room EQ like Audyssey XT or better yet XT32.
post #11 of 13 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
If you can find a receiver within your budget that has Atmos then go for it, if not then I wouldn't worry about it. Myself I would rather spend the money on a receiver with better room EQ like Audyssey XT or better yet XT32.
Do you have any opinions on Yamaha's YPAO vs Onkyo AccuEQ?
post #12 of 13 Unread Today, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't used them but acuueq doesn't do anything at all for the front speakers so that for me is a deal breaker. I found some info that may be helpful for you about some of the options. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...cunpkhePhrFhGg
post #13 of 13 Unread Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap2587 View Post

Onkyo TX-NR626

Onkyo TX-NR636

If you want lots of bells and whistles and the worst possible sound quality, be sure to stick with Yamaha and Onkyo; they are right at the bottom of the barrel.

If you want something that has very good sound quality, a receiver made by NAD or Cambridge Audio is the answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page