AVS Forum banner

Problem with sound over HDMI and pioneer

272 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 · (Edited)
Ran into a strange problem.

I have a dish network STB (VIP722). It is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer 1021 AVR. AVR is connected to a Samsung TV. Everything works fine. Video shows on the TV and sounds comes throught the speakers attached to the receiver.

I also have a projection setup in another room. Pioneer 1523 AVR with a Sony HW-40ES projector. A blu-ray player connected to that works fine.

Last night I took the dish STB and moved it to the projection room. Connected it to the 1523 and no sound.

Picture plays fine, but I can't get any sound. Tried several settings (including turning up the volume) and nothing.

What's really odd... I left the system running and turned off the projector while I went to another room to do something else. As soon as the projector turned off, there was sound.

So basically...
Projector off or HDMI out cable unplugged = sound.
Projector connected and turned ON = no sound.

Tried different settings. Tried different hdmi inputs on 1523 and no change.

Ended up moving the STB back to the original AVR/TV... All working fine.

Any ideas why I can't get this to work with the 1523/Sony projector?

See less See more
#3 ·
STB and blu-ray are in the same location, using similar length cables. Blu-ray player has no trouble with sound and video.

STB is next to AVR. Sound cuts out when projector is turned on and works when projector is turned off or sis connected. Sound is gone when projector complete handshake for signal.

Strange that this would be distance related. If anything, I would expect picture to be affected since that is the longer HDMI run.

#6 ·
Thanks for the idea. I will pick one of those up and give it a try. Hopefully, that will solve the problem.

You suggest using it between the AVR and the projector. Does that have the potential to cause any issues with the (working) BD player? If the STB is the only device with an issue, would this work just as well between the STB and the AVR?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.