DTS ES 6.1 Discrete being selected on a 5.1 system? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 2 Unread Today, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DTS ES 6.1 Discrete being selected on a 5.1 system?

Hi, this is my first post as I have something I can't figure out and hopefully you guys would be able to help me. So I'll get right to the point...

I have a vsx 520 pioneer receiver with 5.1 hooked up to a PS3 via optical cable for audio and hdmi for video. PS3 settings are as follows: bitstream direct over optical cable with just dts 5.1 checked in audio settings (two pcm settings have to be on by default 2 ch 44.1 kHz and 176.4 kHz). I was going to watch the film Ghost in the Shell 2.0 that is 6.1 DTS-ES Discrete. However when starting the film, the display on the receiver scrolls by saying DTS ES discrete. If I change to bitstream mix (in the ps3's settings while playing the film) it says just DTS, however in both cases what remains on the display is just DTS no ES or other specific variants under DTS. Well my question is it actually discrete, is the display just wrong? Shouldn't my receiver just automatically switch to DTS-ES Matrix or is it actually already that? Or is my PS3 or receiver incapable of properly handling this? Reading on bitstream mixed I heard it can make the audio worse sounding because there is more processing taking place but I haven't really tested as this is a newly put together 5.1 setup and I am really new to audio equipment. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Unread Today, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It also appears I am only able to get linear pcm 2.0 via hdmi for audio but also through hdmi for audio dts-hd master audio, is this better than just regular dts or the two dts es variants for 5.1?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Dts , dts-es , pioneer vsx-520 , pioneer vsx-520k , ps3
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page