Trouble Deciding on new Receiver (Marantz vs Denon vs Sony vs ?) - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 9 Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Trouble Deciding on new Receiver (Marantz vs Denon vs Sony vs ?)

Marantz sr5900 - $899
Denon x4000 - $799
Sony DN1050 - $523

Just bought a new home and to make a long story short, I need to buy a new receiver ASAP.

Currently have an Onkyo 606, so of course Onkyo is ruled out.

Speakercraft Series one speakers for the time being, rear in ceiling and front two bookshelf monitors and an LCR. If the budget allows, I will upgrade in the future. (stepping down from 7.1 to 5.1, but may add additional surrounds in the future)

Important to me:
- Sound quality of course.
- A receiver that will take advantage of better speakers if I decide to invest in them.
- The Spotify connect and other bluetooth options will appeal to my wife.
- Zone 2 functionality (though it doesn't need to be powered)
- HDMI source down conversion to analog stereo out for zone 2. (Is that feature labeled stereo pre-outs?) I can't believe that option isn't in every single HDMI equipped receiver.

Options I'm considering
- Marantz sr5009, probably the best sound, but I read a lot about its issues with HDMI and I simply can't stand that again, so that's why I started looking around more and found last year's Denon x4000 discontinued and dropped in price, but lacking a few options I think I'd like, and the Sony may just work, but may leave me lacking when and if I want to upgrade my speakers.

Anyone have any thoughts or would like to push me in another direction? I'm a researcher and this is a process that normally takes me months to learn all the new terminology so I can make an informed decision, but I simply don't have the time this time and would love some help.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked: 1966
X4000 should provide best audio quality using Audyssey XT32 and can pass PCM 2.0 HDMI to Zone 2; however, does not have built-in Wifi/bluetooth nor Spotify Connect. HDMI down conversion to Zone 2 is likely only available on <5% of all current model AVRs, and doing so with Marantz requires upgrading to the SR6009.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
X4000 should provide best audio quality using Audyssey XT32 and can pass PCM 2.0 HDMI to Zone 2; however, does not have built-in Wifi/bluetooth nor Spotify Connect. HDMI down conversion to Zone 2 is likely only available on <5% of all current model AVRs, and doing so with Marantz requires upgrading to the SR6009.
jdsmoothie thank you. So, the x4000 can pass through PCM 2.0, which I believe my 606 can also, but actually converting the hdmi to stereo out will take a price jump to the Marantz sr6009? Yes, the Audyssey XT32 was grabbing my attention, but that's not available with Marantz until you go to the sr7009. However, the Denon x4100 has XT32 and wifi/bluetooth with Spotify connect for comparable price to the 6009. Does it have the hdmi "down conversion" to stereo pre outs for zone 2 and if so, what feature am I looking for by name or does every manufacturer hide it under a slightly different name?

Again, thank you for the information. It is sincerely appreciated. I'm trying to learn as fast as I gain while still working through a major work project with a fast approaching deadline and packing for my impending move.
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

I gather I could go with this add on until such time as I have a digitally based second zone setup.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium...ereo+audio+out

Or more likely, this one. http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital...AEPBSR01XY0WXX

The reason I've skipped this options before is wanting to avoid passing the HDMI through any unnecessary conduits and possibly losing some signal clarity. But, if $30 resolves my issue, rather than a $500 jump up in receiver, I should probably risk it and buy a receiver considering all other features.

Last edited by revbambam; Yesterday at 08:16 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The X4000 should handle HDMI to analog zone2/3 out (zone3 is only analog out, it has to), I think it was the first year Denon did that. If not, the X4100 is $899 refurb. This series is actually more comparable to the Marantz 7xxx series. If nothing else, the Audyssey XT32 is superior to the XT in the Marantz 6xxx.

But you shouldn't lose any signal with that little device, either.
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for helping cut through the tedium of some of the the details. I think I'm going with the x4000 and just setting up my Harmony 650 so it can quickly and simply take my wife to her music options. Again, thank you.

Last edited by revbambam; Yesterday at 10:53 PM.
post #7 of 9 Unread Today, 07:18 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiky View Post
The X4000 should handle HDMI to analog zone2/3 out (zone3 is only analog out, it has to), I think it was the first year Denon did that. If not, the X4100 is $899 refurb. This series is actually more comparable to the Marantz 7xxx series. If nothing else, the Audyssey XT32 is superior to the XT in the Marantz 6xxx.

But you shouldn't lose any signal with that little device, either.
AFAIK, there are no AVRs on the market that can pass HDMI--> Zone 3 to include Denon and Marantz.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #8 of 9 Unread Today, 07:28 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbambam View Post
jdsmoothie thank you. So, the x4000 can pass through PCM 2.0, which I believe my 606 can also, but actually converting the hdmi to stereo out will take a price jump to the Marantz sr6009? Yes, the Audyssey XT32 was grabbing my attention, but that's not available with Marantz until you go to the sr7009. However, the Denon x4100 has XT32 and wifi/bluetooth with Spotify connect for comparable price to the 6009. Does it have the hdmi "down conversion" to stereo pre outs for zone 2 and if so, what feature am I looking for by name or does every manufacturer hide it under a slightly different name?

Again, thank you for the information. It is sincerely appreciated. I'm trying to learn as fast as I gain while still working through a major work project with a fast approaching deadline and packing for my impending move.
AFAIK, the 606 does not have this feature as it is only implemented on the higher level Onkyo AVRs. On the Denon X3000/X3100W and Marantz SR6008/SR6009 and higher models, the feature is called "HDMI Audio (Zone 2 only)" as noted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbambam View Post
I gather I could go with this add on until such time as I have a digitally based second zone setup.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium...ereo+audio+out

Or more likely, this one. http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital...AEPBSR01XY0WXX

The reason I've skipped this options before is wanting to avoid passing the HDMI through any unnecessary conduits and possibly losing some signal clarity. But, if $30 resolves my issue, rather than a $500 jump up in receiver, I should probably risk it and buy a receiver considering all other features.
Yes, using an external device would work for as many HDMI devices as can be connected to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	546833  

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Okay jdsmoothie. Thank you very much. That's a clear feature that I wish was not just in every receiver, but also as clearly labeled. Again, thank you. Ordered the Denon x4000 last night.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
denon x4000 , marantz 5009 , sony dn1050
Gear in this thread - dn1050 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page