Multi-Room setup using Pioneer VSX-1124k - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Unread Yesterday, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Multi-Room setup using Pioneer VSX-1124k

Hello, I have searched far and wide, read about parallel-series configuration, ohms, impedance matching, wire gauges, and now have 20+ other peoples home audio distribution plans embedded in my mind. However, I have not found an answer to my unique setup question.

I recently purchased a house with (2) in-ceiling speakers in 6 rooms, and 2 sets of outdoor speakers. EVERY SET OF SPEAKERS HAS its own Impedance matching volume control mounted on the wall in the respective room and outdoors. After having a professional quote me north of $6,000 while pushing Sonos on me, and telling me the first thing we’d do is remove the volume controls, I quickly began my own research (to no avail).

All the wires come out under the entertainment built-in in the main media room, where the previous owner had a majority of the wires/rooms pigtailed together to go into a L and R source (A hazard from what I have read).

Stay with me here… In the main media room, there are two of the in-ceiling speakers, but also 2 Surround Rear speakers mounted just below that he left…

I have a Pioneer VSX-1124k 7.2 receiver. I have read about designating the receiver to run a 5.1 for the main media room and use Zone B for another room. However since I have 6 other rooms & 2 sets outside, I am running in circles trying to figure out the best (and least costly) way to integrate all the speakers to run from the Pioneer VSX-1124k. I have come to the temporary conclusion to add a speaker selector to Zone B (thinking the Niles HPS-6 Speaker Selector?) but I am concerned about all the fears and warnings about overheating the receiver and not 100% that this would even work.

As far as my goals are of what I’d like to accomplish…..I understand that I’ll lose some power to the speakers throughout the house, which I am fine with. I would like music to run through the 6 rooms (nothing too loud), while still being able to listen/watch sports/movies in the main media room.

Any advice is much appreciated and I thank you all for your time. I hope this explains everything but from reading all these forums I understand there will probably be follow up questions. I’ll be checking in to hopefully get this set up and ready to go, looking forward to your feedback and/or suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread Today, 01:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3060 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
A main zone AVR is not designed to power all of those extra zone speakers. Connect a 2CH amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs on the 1124k and to that amp connect an 8 zone speaker selector.

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-ISS8.../dp/B001YIPCJQ

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks jdsmoothie, I also appreciate the additional advice on which speaker selector. I'll look into that particular one a little further. 2-3 things regarding your response. Do I need to make sure the 2 ch. amp has a min/max of watts and do you have a recommendation on a particular amp. Also, how does the speaker selector you suggested add up to the Niles one I mentioned in the original post. Thanks again!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
multi-room audio , speaker selector , VSX-1124-k
Gear in this thread - VSX-1124-k by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page