Denon AVR-591 with odd problem - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon AVR-591 with odd problem

I have a Denon AVR=591 Receiver with a very odd problem. While watching TV the sound switches to a very low level such that I can barely hear it mostly when the TV switches content to commercials. It does not do this always but most of the time. Sometimes the sound will return to normal in the middle of a commercial set run, but only when the screen goes to black between commercials. When the content goes back to normal programing the sound comes back up to normal. If I turn the sound up to hear it when low it blasts me out when it goes back to normal. If the Denon is in sound very low mode and I switch the (Sony) TV to play through its internal speakers the sound is normal even while the Denon sound is abnormally low.

The HDMI cable to from the FIOS STB goes through the Denon and then to the TV.

You may wonder why I care about low sound during commercials. This problem is always with commercials. Especially, when playing DVR programs (FIOS multi-room DVR) the sound may remain low all the way through the program. I've switched the FIOS set top box and the problem remains.

This is a true mystery to me. Has anyone encountered such a problem? I'm not making this up. The Denon, mostly seems to know when commercials are on and turns down the sound LOL.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 03:19 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3061 Post(s)
Liked: 2006
Possibly an issue with the cable box. Try using an optical or coax digital cable from the box to the AVR instead and change the INPUT MODE to "Digital" and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVS - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Also, does the receiver display show a change in audio format when the sound level drops - for example, going from DD 5.1 to stereo PCM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page