New build/my requirements/lower end budget, advise needed - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old Today, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New build/my requirements/lower end budget, advise needed

Hey everyone. Currently I have the following AV stuff:

HD25e projector
Onkyo
HT-S3200
HTIB with 7.1
Xbox one wired to projector (optical audio going to AVR)
Gaming PC in other room with 50ft hdmi cable to projector and 15ft Optical to receiver
PC components: ASRock-Z87E Motherboard, R9 290 Video card

What I primarily do:
1. Watch movies, TV, and game on Xbox 1 using DTS.
2. Game with my PC using long USB cable and XB1 controller.
3. use my PC as PLEX server and watch movies on XB1.
4. Random music etc through XB1 app or whatever else.
5. Play PC games on my 23 inch monitor with some logitech 5.1 setup in office.

What isn't working great:
Everything works/looks great with the PC gaming except for audio. My Optical/out from PC does not allow 5.1 or DTS for games, yet movies streamed via PLEX or movies watched via HDMI and optical out have DTS and 5.1 working great. It comes down to my motherboard's on-board sound not being able to encode/decode DTS signal for games. Most games don't have actual DTS I don't think but do use multiple channels.

Requirements for new AVR:
HDCP 2.2 is/will be important,4k/60hz(not needed now but will be before I upgrade AVR again), decent android app to control AVR, at least 7.1/possibly Atmos down the line, and various DTS certifications for things like my PC games. I also NEED to be able to have HDMI inputs actually carry/process audio which my current AVR cannot do(SO frustrating). I am ready to retire my optical cables if this works easily. Sound quality is always important but I am not an audiophile and will likely keep using these speakers for at least another year, upgrading from the center channel outwards

Budget and brand loyalty:
Under $1000 for sure and closer to $600. I am not set on a specific brand but I do like this Onkyo even though it is considered a HTIB. I checked out a review on the Onkyo TX-NR636 which seems around my ball-park for price and features.

So guys, what other AVR's will get me where I need to go or should I wait for something?(I do have patience)
I wouldn't mind some extra audio channels if the cost isn't too high, multiple zones isn't much of a demand for me because I can only be in one place at a time Wife cares not about this stuff.

~Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page