AVS Forum banner

2015 Pioneer Elite AVR's Owner's thread for VSX-45 and VSX-90

119K views 847 replies 189 participants last post by  PeterK 
#1 ·
#743 ·
@bear123 That one was first run measuring each sub separately. The red line is the sub in the front (wired) and the blue line is the sub (wireless) in the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#744 ·
OK do now you need to do a combined sweep. You might get lucky and fill the null with both subs going. If not, experiment with placement of the 2nd sub until the null is filled. Individual response is close to meaningless as long as the combined response is good.

Reactions: Falconsfan71
#746 ·
2015 Pioneer Elite AVR's include VSX-45 and VSX-90

I wish someone could explain MCAAC Pro Sub EQ.. here's what the manual says...

I've been all through this receiver and can't find anything about dual subs. There's one sub distance setting and one sub EQ in the manual settings...

If you run "Symmetry" then it doesn't account for two subs and the EQ is at 0 or flat on all 5 bands. From what I read "All Ch Adj" suppose to detect and correct dual subs. How? Where? One sub EQ! One sub distance setting! I ran REW again afterwards and it didn't really change going from Symmetry to All Ch Adj but the 5 band EQ was as the picture shows...

#747 ·
Well I managed to get my VSX-90 all hooked up. I had to completely rearrange all of my wiring and get it all re-routed, strapped, and fastened so it took a couple of hours. My outgoing RXV-375 was small and shallow and fit in my built in bookshelves, but the larger and more powerful Pioneer would not fit, so I had to relocate it, probably temporarily, on top of the mantle where the shelf is deeper. I'll add a pic to the thread in my sig if I think about it. Installation looks nice and clean though.

I got out my laptop and fired up REW to get my subs dialed in as best as I can before running MCACC and the nightmares began. I was able to run a few sweeps and just barely got started adjusting things....got the levels set, switched phase on one...but I can't continue running sweeps. I change no settings and suddenly I just can't play or record sweeps....nothing happens. Fought with it for several hours yesterday.

I may give it another shot today because I really wanted to do before and after measurements before MCACC.

#748 ·
2015 Pioneer Elite AVR's include VSX-45 and VSX-90

@bear123 Yea that sucks! Did you shutdown REW and then reopen it and try again?

#749 ·
@bear123 Yea that sucks! Did you shutdown REW and then reopen it and try again?

Well I'm actually having many issues, so I downloaded the newest version, then downloaded the newest version of Java. But, the sweeps were playing through all channels....front left and right, center, and sub. So I unplugged the speakers but then got no sound at all. I'm wondering if the AVR was shutting things down since there were no speakers hooked up.

I think I'm going to delete REW, reinstall, and try again.

#751 ·
@bear123 Any luck on the setup? I'm just exhausted with this whole ordeal for now. I'm staying off of REW... for now. It has only frustrated me. Between this receiver and these subs I have a damn headache! This VSX-90 does NOT have dual sub settings or dual sub EQ.

#752 ·
I don't blame you. This receiver frustrates the hell out of me too. There are so many settings, a lot of which are undocumented, which makes things very difficult to set up. I could never get HDZone out working properly. For some reason in order to get the same source output from all HDMI inputs on HDZone I always have to switch to HDMI 1 first. Don't ask me why- that's just the way it works.

I only wish they still supported it. It still needs firmware updates to iron out some of the HDCP problems. Every so often I lose sound from almost all speakers and have to do a hard reset.

#753 ·
I am new to this forum. Have had the vsx90 for over a year now. Finally got Atmos speakers hooked up and watched a few 4k movies and they are fabulous. My question is, does this receiver support dts x? I see some 4k and bluray releases has this version for the height effects. I know AVR is set up online so I more than likely have the latest firmware update. If not dts x, is there a virtual mode to push sounds through the heights. Thanks for the input.

#755 ·
Yeah I've been all through this VSX-90 receiver and I also called Pioneer. Yes, MCAAC Pro states to have dual independent sub EQ but according to Pioneer this receiver does not. It's like having one sub.

#756 ·
I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 45 with specs at 80 WPC using 2 channels. Most of my listening is stereo and I have a powered subwoofer. It seems that in stereo I should be getting 80 WPC? Is this correct. I am driving the Polk LSiM 703 bookshelves that are new and they have a lower frequency response. I keep reading about separate amps, more power etc. opening the speaker up. Seems like since I am only using 2 channels with LFE to the sub that 80 WPC would be more than enough.

What am I missing here?

#758 · (Edited)
This is about a bluetooth issue with my VSX-90. I have an Echo Dot, an android phone, and a Laptop, all of which I am able to pair with my VSX-90. The issue is that with the Echo Dot and the laptop when playing long tracks of music over bluetooth to my VSX-90, every few minutes, the signal cuts out and comes back, or skips.. Ive tried moving the devices within a foot of the VSX-90 and it still does it so its not a proximity issue. At first I thought it was a problem with the Echo Dot, but since it skips with the laptop too, I thought it must be the receiver, but then, why would the phone be absolved of the problem? The skips can happen anywhere from a few minutes apart to 10 or more minutes. Anybody experience anything like this?

Thanks.

#759 ·
Pioneer VSX-45 loses network connection

I've tried both wired and wireless.
On each, I've also tried using DHCP as well as a static IP address.
It stays connected for a bit and then drops. Unplugging the receiver and then plugging it back in sometimes fixes it but it eventually loses connectivity.

Additionally, I also tried a full reset but that also failed to maintain connectivity after a while.

I called Pioneer and they told me to try everything I had already tried.

The VSX-45 is Elite so it's still under warranty but requires an hour drive each way to take it to the shop and then let them try to fix it. wait a while and then make the trip again.

Has anyone dealt with connection issues on these? Any ideas?

thanks

#760 · (Edited)
Pioneer VSX-90 no video output. What is the issue?

I had my system set up completely fine, and then someone who rented my house hit the wrong freaking button on a remote. Now the video output from HDMI 1 does not work. I can hear audio through the surround speakers, but the LG B6 does not register any input at this time. I can't figure out what the hell is going on. Should I just reset it at this point? I can't even see the OSD to do anything. Thoughts?

EDIT: I reset the system and the output works fine now. For future reference, I suppose sometimes inputs and outputs just quit working? Our devices are not perfect huh?

#764 ·
Pioneer VSX-90 mirroring HDMI 1 & 2 output

I have been through many iterations trying to set up a second zone that exactly mirrors the primary HDMI output. I now have a second HDMI cpabke AVR unit. Reading the manual would seem to indicate you can do this with the OUT P. fu cation but that doesn't seem to,produce any output on the second HDM output port. I can use the HDZONE set but then I have to change the input for the HDZONE manually each time to mirror the main output. I have cable, DVD and Apple TV as my primary input devices. I am now wondering if the VSX90 works as documented. I have tried using the OUT P button to set the HDMI output to 1+2 to no avail. Any ideas?

Ps..how could Pioner make such a simple concept so complicated..I order if the easi st approach may be to use an HDMI splitter before the main signal goes to my 4K TV but I wonder what problems that might introduce. Arrrgggghhh!!!!

#765 ·
Improve voice in 2.1 setup

My VSX-90 is connected with left, right, and a sub speakers. Playing music is great. However, when watching movies/tv, the voices are harder to hear clearly. The only way is to turn up the volume, but when explosion sounds come, it becomes too loud. Is there a way to setup the receiver for better voice in movies/tv without center speaker. The VSX90 is calibrated but that doesn't seem to help.

#766 ·
I'm having an issue with my VSX-90 where using my Harmony Remote, when I turn the TV on to watch my DirecTV box, using HDMI2 on my TV. the receiver keeps switching between devices quickly. I have all of my receiver inputs going into that port on my TV. I don't know if it has anything to do with new speakers for Atmos I just installed. I tried to pull the plug and let it sit for a few seconds to fix it, and that worked for awhile, and I can fix it usually by hitting the SAT input on the remote for the receiver. So I think there are some issue with the receiver switching inputs, any ideas?

#767 ·
Do any of you know the part numbers for a replacement setup microphone and replacement remote? I bought it used and it was missing both. I'm using the iControl app for now, and its just clunky as hell.
I tried searching on parts.pioneer but when i put the model VSX-45 it says its invalid.

#769 ·
3.1 Setup

I have a VSX-90 with a ML Dynamo 700 Sub, BW HTM62 Center, and 4 BW CWM633 for the Front R/L and Surrounds. I am preparing to move to a new house, where having the surrounds is just not practical, so I was wondering if I could use the AVR, Sub, and Center I currently have with a pair of new front speakers to create a 3.1 setup. Would that work? If so, is there anything I need to do to the AVR configuration? I did not see anything in the VSX-90 manual for setups less than 5.1.

Thanks,
Ted

#770 ·
@ncted In the speaker setup you can set it to 5.1 and then select "NO" for the surrounds. So you would have the fronts & center set to Small or Large and Subwoofer to "YES".

Reactions: ncted
#774 ·
Elite VSX45 pre out to EQ to multi ch in ?

I tried running the pre outs to the EQ and then back in through the multi channel input. It does not work. I tried pre out to mutli channel in with no EQ, still does not work. I know the multi channel input is for SACD input but if it is just an analog input why will this not work? Can someone please school me?

#779 ·
Has anyone managed to get DolbyVision pass-through to work on the VSX-90?

I got the new AppleTV HD. I can only get DolbyVision with a direct connection. That is:

aTV -> VSX-90 (DVD input @ 4:4:4) -> Vizio P65-C1, tv reports HDR10.
aTV -> Vizio P65-C1, aTV asks if I want DolbyVision and P65 then reports DolbyVision.

I thought I was buying a future-proof receiver, at least for a couple of years, with the HDMI 2 / 4:4:4 support, but perhaps not?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.