Audio setting: pcm or bitstream (dolby dts) - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio setting: pcm or bitstream (dolby dts)

Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, but I still have a question.

Ik bought the logitech z906 (5.1) which can process dolby and dts. It is connected to my ps4. It is connected with an optical cable.
Ps4 setting: pcm, dts or dolby. I understood that I need to select dts or dolby, when using an optical cable (pcm is stereo). But when using pcm I still have surround, granted less noticable than dolby or dts.

Ok, so I need to select dts or dolby. I understood that it doesn't matter which one. But why? My games can support both, but most of my dvd's only have dolby. So isn't is bad when I use dts in this example?

Furthermore, when playing a dvd, I have the option to select pcm or bitstream mix or direct. Why can I select this again in the ps4 dvd menu? I don't understand why I can select pcm while watching dvd, and still have dolby selected in the ps4 settings?

So I ask the question again, what is the best selection? Pcm and dolby/drs sound quite different from each other.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abupa View Post
Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, but I still have a question.

Ik bought the logitech z906 (5.1) which can process dolby and dts. It is connected to my ps4. It is connected with an optical cable.
Ps4 setting: pcm, dts or dolby. I understood that I need to select dts or dolby, when using an optical cable (pcm is stereo). But when using pcm I still have surround, granted less noticable than dolby or dts.

Ok, so I need to select dts or dolby. I understood that it doesn't matter which one. But why? My games can support both, but most of my dvd's only have dolby. So isn't is bad when I use dts in this example?

Furthermore, when playing a dvd, I have the option to select pcm or bitstream mix or direct. Why can I select this again in the ps4 dvd menu? I don't understand why I can select pcm while watching dvd, and still have dolby selected in the ps4 settings?

So I ask the question again, what is the best selection? Pcm and dolby/drs sound quite different from each other.
Thanks.
I would select PCM. You’re using an optical cable so it’s going to be compressed regardless.

Onkyo TX-NR636 (5.1.2) | Proficient Audio AW525 (L&R) | Proficient Audio CC550 | Proficient Audio GS10 (LFE) | Yamaha NS-IC400 (Surrounds) | Harmony Ultimate | Apple TV (3rd Gen) | Denon BDP-1611UD | Sony BDP-S580 | Xbox One | Sony Bravia 46"
post #3 of 6 Unread Today, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 146
You want to set the player to a bitstream output. Then, when you select either DD 5.1 or DTS on the source, you will get discrete 5.1. If you are getting surround when set to PCM, your processor is extracting some content from the stereo input to produce sound from the other channels. That is seldom going to be as good as discrete 5.1.
post #4 of 6 Unread Today, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterAudio View Post
I would select PCM. You’re using an optical cable so it’s going to be compressed regardless.
Not compressed. Optical supports high resolution stereo PCM.
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
You want to set the player to a bitstream output. Then, when you select either DD 5.1 or DTS on the source, you will get discrete 5.1. If you are getting surround when set to PCM, your processor is extracting some content from the stereo input to produce sound from the other channels. That is seldom going to be as good as discrete 5.1.
Agree. The PCM option will cause the PS4 to decode the audio and pass uncompressed stereo - this option is for receivers that don't support multichannel audio. The bitstream option will cause the PS4 to pass compressed multichannel audio which should give you the best sound.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks BIslander and Lils Roro. I tried all the settings and this seemed to work the best and correspond with what you said.
Now the right rear speaker of my z906 give a tweeting noise sometimes. But this must be the fault of my crappy system. Read that some people have this problem too. Now it's gone, hope it stays that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors