The "Official" Pioneer VSX-830-K Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 67 Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The "Official" Pioneer VSX-830-K Owner's Thread

Hi All,

Did not see a thread on the 2015 model VSX-830-K. Very interested in this model and would love anyone who has picked one up to post some comments!

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 05-01-2015, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I picked up an open box from bestbuy.com. It arrived yesterday. The list price is $399 but they have had open boxes for $335.00 . Plus you can use a movers coupon. I They say its open box but as suspected, mine looked brand new. I don't believe it was ever taken out of the box much less plugged in. The box had been opened before but everything was brand new. If you wish to go this route you wont be disappointed.

Overall impression. This is a great little unit. Very easy to set up. I like it a lot.
This is my 5th pioneer receiver. All have been Elite models up to now. I needed a unit that could pass 3D, ARC and was hdcp 2.2 & hdmi 2.0 to go along with my 4k tv in my bedroom.
This replaced an Elite VSX 23 receiver which sounds great but don't have those features. I was really looking top get the Elite VSX-45 but Best buy listed it a $100 more than the $450.00 msrp. I had to make a choice the VSX45 for $550 or this for about $320.00. This model has the same internal parts but excludes things I don't need like speaker B terminals. Elite version has 3 year warranty . this comes with one. Both with Amex to extend warranty another year. I really hated the idea of replacing my Elite 23 because it sounds so good. This unit also has a smaller footprint that what I am use to & makes a good fit for a bedroom receiver.

My greatest fear was that I would be downgrading my sound by getting a non-Elite receiver. This was exactly the case after I ran mcacc I was not impressed with the sound. auto mcacc may set your speakers to large. You may have to get into manual setup & set them back to small. I'm running a 2.1 stereo setup in my bedroom with a pair of Polk RTi6. What really helped was the Pioneer app ICONTROLAV5. This app is easy to use an gives you access to every sound control & equalizer on the receiver over wifi. I was able to tweek the sound to my liking. So yes, this little bad boy can put out good sound if you spend the time to tweek it right. I did a quick test on a few 3D blu-rays and they look good. Have not done any real viewing yet. This is hooked up to a Sony XBR 65X850A 4K tv.

What I really like about this receiver is that everything works as stated. Pondora, Spotify and Internet stations all sound great. The wi-fi and Bluetooth works flawlessly with no dropouts so far. & was very easy to set up. The new GUI makes setup a breeze. Belive me I know how difficult Elites are to set up. I also have an Elite SC-65 that was not fun to set up. The remote is not the best but still better than those horrible pioneer remotes. This was a quick post but hope it helps.
post #3 of 67 Old 05-09-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Yardy, could you tell me if it is normal to hear a slight pause/click when adjusting the volume? I JUST hooked up my 830K an hour ago and I noticed that while watching videos that when I adjust the volume you can hear the adjustment (not just the loudness) . I'm thinking it has something to do with ARC but I'm pretty new to this A/V stuff.

By the way my other equipment is: Vizio M60-CS3 4K TV, stereo Polk Audio RTi10s.
post #4 of 67 Old 05-21-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My four-year-old Pioneer VSX-1021-K finally died this morning. It had been having serious problems over the last few months with a bunch of UE22 errors, which I fixed by updating the firmware with a USB drive, but this morning, even that didn't work, as the updates would freeze 20% of the way through and result in an Update Error 1 message. I was left with the options of either taking it in for service or buying a new receiver.

I had been looking at the Pioneer VSX-830-K ever since it was announced in January, and long before it was available on Amazon (where it still doesn't have any reviews, and, curiously enough, does not show up when you specify that you're searching for 2015 models). Given my circumstances, I bit the bullet and put in an Amazon order for it, which is due to arrive on Saturday with Prime delivery. I'll post more when it comes.
post #5 of 67 Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 AM

Liked: 10
Low Volume!!

Hi, just set up this pioneer vsx-830 with 2 klipsch reference floor speakers and 1 sub. I am primarily interested in using it for music now. I am getting absolutely no volume from the lowest (-80db) to about -50db and then I just barely hear anything. Fully cranked the sound is minimal. I must have something drastically off? I followed the simple setup and like I said, am just running a simple system...any help as to what i am overlooking? Did the auto home theatre set up screw the levels up maybe?
post #6 of 67 Old 05-25-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demmue View Post
Hey Yardy, could you tell me if it is normal to hear a slight pause/click when adjusting the volume? I JUST hooked up my 830K an hour ago and I noticed that while watching videos that when I adjust the volume you can hear the adjustment (not just the loudness) . I'm thinking it has something to do with ARC but I'm pretty new to this A/V stuff.

By the way my other equipment is: Vizio M60-CS3 4K TV, stereo Polk Audio RTi10s.
I don't hear any pause/click & I also have ARC coming from a Sony XBR 65X850A 4K.So that's not normal. Have you tried swapping hdmi cable?
post #7 of 67 Old 05-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arond24 View Post
Hi, just set up this pioneer vsx-830 with 2 klipsch reference floor speakers and 1 sub. I am primarily interested in using it for music now. I am getting absolutely no volume from the lowest (-80db) to about -50db and then I just barely hear anything. Fully cranked the sound is minimal. I must have something drastically off? I followed the simple setup and like I said, am just running a simple system...any help as to what i am overlooking? Did the auto home theatre set up screw the levels up maybe?

That is not unusual. Your channel levels are too low. Easy way to fix is to press receiver button on receiver, then hit the channel level button (chlv) beside the mute button. Use the up/down arrow keys to chose all channels. Then use right arrow key to increase volume. This can also be done from the home menu. Go into manual speaker setup sub menu.
post #8 of 67 Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM

I'm having problems already. I set up my VSX-830-K over the weekend, connected to a new LG 49UB8500. It took a while for me to figure out how to get ARC to work on both of them, but I did it. The issue is that the HDMI handshake has a problem every time I switch sources to use one of the apps on the LG TV (Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc.) and then try to switch back to my TiVo. The LG UHDTV doesn't recognize the source, and I've discovered through trial and error that the way to fix it is for me to switch the receiver's input to Blu-Ray, and then switch it back to my TiVo. Once I do that, everything is fine again.

So I've found a work-around, but it's annoying. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the receiver or the TV. Do I just have to stop using ARC and go to a digital optical input?
post #9 of 67 Old 06-03-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardy View Post
That is not unusual. Your channel levels are too low. Easy way to fix is to press receiver button on receiver, then hit the channel level button (chlv) beside the mute button. Use the up/down arrow keys to chose all channels. Then use right arrow key to increase volume. This can also be done from the home menu. Go into manual speaker setup sub menu.

Hi Yardy, I, too, have the same TV as you. I want to run my Shield TV through this Pioneer receiver. The Shield TV outputs 4K but right now, I am getting the beautiful picture without the 5.1. I am curious - once I run the Shield through this receiver, I should be able to get 5.1 along with 4K?

Thank you for your help!
post #10 of 67 Old 06-04-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanlivedit View Post
Hi Yardy, I, too, have the same TV as you. I want to run my Shield TV through this Pioneer receiver. The Shield TV outputs 4K but right now, I am getting the beautiful picture without the 5.1. I am curious - once I run the Shield through this receiver, I should be able to get 5.1 along with 4K?

Thank you for your help!
That depends on the app you are using. You will get 5.1 surround from apps like Netflix, Amazon, Vudu etc . Most apps don't support it and will only output stereo . I don't have a Shield box.
post #11 of 67 Old 06-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just not liking the sound from this. What I can't figure out is why my sw hardly kicks in. When I had my Onkyo, the sound was superb right off the bat. I have messed around with this and still I don't seem happy. I set it for auto and it keeps defaulting to stereo for some reason. What is going on?
post #12 of 67 Old 06-17-2015, 07:53 PM

Was getting nothing from the SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
Just not liking the sound from this. What I can't figure out is why my sw hardly kicks in. When I had my Onkyo, the sound was superb right off the bat. I have messed around with this and still I don't seem happy. I set it for auto and it keeps defaulting to stereo for some reason. What is going on?
I was having trouble getting anything from my SW! After some playing around, I figured out that when the auto MCACC ran (when you initially ran the setup), it set the speakers as LARGE. If you go in and manually set those to SMALL and make the SW PLUS, you'll get your bass in high gear.

Check out page 106 in the online manual: pioneerelectronics[dot]com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1130-K_OperatingInstructions032715.pdf (I guess I'm not allowed to post links yet...)
post #13 of 67 Old 06-28-2015, 03:56 PM

Wondering about analog->digital upscaling

I just set up my VSX-830, and it certainly took a while. I was replacing a Sony STR410 (I think) and faced a few unexpected challenges...

- my PS3 only seemed to be sending through stereo via HDMI, not HD / 5.1 sound as it had to the Sony. Finally after trying all sorts of things, different HDMI ports, redoing the setup, changing the PS3 from LPCM to Bitstream, etc...) I realised that I simply had to update not only the blu-ray output but also the sound settings on the PS3 (way at the bottom of the settings menu). Hope this simple tip will save someone else hours of head-scratching.

- my Wii had been connected via component cables, and of course (not that I thought to check before buying, because I wrongly assumed it would obviously have component ports) the VSX-830 has no component ports. So I dug out the composite cable originally provided with the Wii, dusted it off and connected it up, diligently following the setup process to ensure the DVD entry was not assigned to HDMI or to any digital audio; the RCA cables are correctly in the right (DVD) sockets on the back of the receiver... and I can get the audio, but no video. Aargh!

I tried resetting the video on the Wii (because perhaps the Wii had been set to 480p, which the composite cable doesn't support), both by pressing Reset while no video output cable was connected, and also using a trick I found that involves pressing the down button on the Wiimote, while pressing the Reset button. But all this to no avail. And it's tough to do anything with Wii settings when you can't see what you're doing...

So I got to thinking... does this receiver actually upconvert analogue video to digital for the HDMI output? Prior models apparently didn't. There's a diagram on page 42 of the manual that suggests it ought to work without running an RCA video cable to the screen. But I am currently stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

By the way, I also had plenty of problems with the wired network connection. It worked fine at the start, but didn't make it through the setup. I went through my router configuration and found that it said the port was active, but there was no MAC address at the end of it. Ended up activating wireless instead and that mostly works fine. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else comes up with a similar network issue.
post #14 of 67 Old 06-29-2015, 06:52 PM

On page 43 of manual it clearly states that "The signal input from the analog (Composite) video input of this unit will not output from HDMI OUT terminal" . So the answer is NO. There is no component or composite upconversion on this unit.You could try some kind of component to HDMI converter but they are expensive.
post #15 of 67 Old 06-30-2015, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and have been very pleased with it. Replaced a receiver over 10 years old. Just using in 2.0 mode now with my old tower speakers, music and TV sounds great.
post #16 of 67 Old 06-30-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
On page 43 of manual it clearly states that "The signal input from the analog (Composite) video input of this unit will not output from HDMI OUT terminal" . So the answer is NO. There is no component or composite upconversion on this unit.You could try some kind of component to HDMI converter but they are expensive.
Thanks Yardy for the answer. Interestingly, my manual doesn't say that or anything similar on page 43.

The manual on the CD-ROM clearly shows a diagram connecting a DVD player without HDMI output to the player, and outputting it via HDMI. This is on page 42. (Sadly I haven't posted enough here yet so I can't attach the capture.)

However, following your helpful answer, I checked on the pioneer.eu web site, and found a different version of the manual which has the text you mentioned (but on page 42). So the two versions of the manual DIRECTLY CONTRADICT each other.

The version with the misleading diagram is on the supplied CD-ROM, and the one saying 'no upscaling' is here:
pioneer.eu/eur/support/manuals/VSX-830-K/page.html

So the message to everyone here is clear:
  1. Despite anything you hear, and despite what the supplied manual shows, this receiver does NOT upscale composite output to HDMI, and it has no component input either, so if you have any non-HDMI equipment, you will need to output it to your monitor with a composite (i.e. crap quality) cable.
  2. Disregard the CD-ROM supplied with your device because it has a misleading manual on it - simply visit the link above to get the latest manual (and by the way, do get it because there's a lot of useful info in it).

So in effect, because of this issue, this receiver is a step DOWN from my years-old Sony model. It doesn't really help to tell my kids how fantastic the sound is if they can't play their Wii games any more! And since my monitor has no composite input, I am stuck with having to buy an HDMI adaptor for my Wii (if I can still find one) - and all because Pioneer did not clearly advertise that this receiver fails to upconvert composite signals, and even says that it DOES in its supplied manual. And how many hours did I waste trying to make this work based on their supplied manual saying that it should...

Sorry Pioneer, the sound quality is great but stop supplying misleading information!
post #17 of 67 Old 06-30-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Booth View Post
I was having trouble getting anything from my SW! After some playing around, I figured out that when the auto MCACC ran (when you initially ran the setup), it set the speakers as LARGE. If you go in and manually set those to SMALL and make the SW PLUS, you'll get your bass in high gear.

Check out page 106 in the online manual: pioneerelectronics[dot]com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1130-K_OperatingInstructions032715.pdf (I guess I'm not allowed to post links yet...)
I had the same situation, and the same fix works fine for me. In fact I just set the front speakers to SMALL, then I can set the SW to ON - and it sounds great without even needing to set it to PLUS. I get very little sound below -50dB but that's no problem for me since I get plenty of sound when I need it.
post #18 of 67 Old 06-30-2015, 06:13 PM

vimesrules.
Even if this receiver upconverted composite video, it would look no better than if your monitor did it. Your monitor will convert all signals to its native resolution by default. Might even do a better job than a receiver at this price level could. Test and see is picture quality is acceptable to you.

Just run a separate RCA cable between your monitor and the composite output on the receiver. I'm assuming your monitor is 1080p. Composite will look crappy on a 1080p monitor either way. The bigger the monitor the worse it will look. Or look around for a cheap/used component/hdmi converter. I was not aware that a Wii did not have hdmi. They probably figure that kids are not too particular about their picture quality.
post #19 of 67 Old 07-03-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
vimesrules.
Even if this receiver upconverted composite video, it would look no better than if your monitor did it. Your monitor will convert all signals to its native resolution by default. Might even do a better job than a receiver at this price level could. Test and see is picture quality is acceptable to you.

Just run a separate RCA cable between your monitor and the composite output on the receiver. I'm assuming your monitor is 1080p. Composite will look crappy on a 1080p monitor either way. The bigger the monitor the worse it will look. Or look around for a cheap/used component/hdmi converter. I was not aware that a Wii did not have hdmi. They probably figure that kids are not too particular about their picture quality.
The Wii comes with a composite output, but you can buy other outputs. I had bought component output cables because it does give better quality even if it will only output 480p or 576i. As mentioned before, my 55" monitor does not have a composite input so sadly your workaround won't work for me. But I ended up buying a (thankfully cheap) Wii HDMI adaptor on Amazon, and I hope that will work when it arrives.

Thanks @Yardy for your advice. Still really think someone screwed up with the manual on the CD-ROM though... attached the offending graphic for reference (as now at last I can!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 22.07.49.png
Views:	570
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	809882  
post #20 of 67 Old 09-06-2015, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can anyone post a picture of what the on screen display looks like? I need something that shows volume, input, etc on the screen.

Thanks
post #21 of 67 Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Unhappy Vsx830 remote control

my vsx830 works great but it seems the remote is not programmable. I cannot imagine using 3 remotes to control the satellite box, the receiver and blue ray player. Any solutions before I return this newly acquired unit?
post #22 of 67 Old 09-16-2015, 11:26 AM

Liked: 11
Cable box quality and no blu ray picture

I just set up the Pioneer VSX-830-K and I am having a few issues, any help would be hugely appreciated. I have updated the firmware to the Aug 2015 update.

1.) My Time Warner cable box dvr has lost the dvr functions and the program guide functions, it seems like the dvr has been reduced to a basic digital cable box when I hooked it to the receiver. I would assume this has something to do with the hdmi setting but I cannot figure it out.

2.) My LG blu ray player will not show video - it flickers for 1 sec and then goes black. I do get audio.

Please not I am using redmere HMDI cables so I do not think the cables are the issues.

Thank you very much,
Paul
post #23 of 67 Old 10-02-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimepcalero View Post
my vsx830 works great but it seems the remote is not programmable. I cannot imagine using 3 remotes to control the satellite box, the receiver and blue ray player. Any solutions before I return this newly acquired unit?

I too was surprised that there are no instructions on how to program the remote. I find it strange that they would include buttons on the remote that won't function with devices that aren't preset.

I saw this in a review on Amazon:
"so I finally decided to put the instruction CD in my computer and there is a 137 page instruction manual, don't be like me take a look at this before you set up the receiver. The instructions contain things you will need like how to pair the remote with your TV which you would never figure out on your own. For example, to mate a Samsung TV you have to press the TV and CD buttons at the same time, other brands of TVs use other buttons"

I didn't see anything in the manual regarding this.

I have a request into Pioneer support.
post #24 of 67 Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM

Programming VSX-830-K Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by drehbein View Post
I too was surprised that there are no instructions on how to program the remote. I find it strange that they would include buttons on the remote that won't function with devices that aren't preset.

I saw this in a review on Amazon:
"so I finally decided to put the instruction CD in my computer and there is a 137 page instruction manual, don't be like me take a look at this before you set up the receiver. The instructions contain things you will need like how to pair the remote with your TV which you would never figure out on your own. For example, to mate a Samsung TV you have to press the TV and CD buttons at the same time, other brands of TVs use other buttons"

I didn't see anything in the manual regarding this.

I have a request into Pioneer support.

This is what I received from Pioneer:

Unfortunately, programming signals from other devices isnot available for on this model. This feature is only available on the VSX-1130Receiver.
post #25 of 67 Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm setting up a VSX830 for my folks and I'm in the process of programming preset radio stations. The manual (the one that is on the included CD) includes two models; 830-K and 1130-K. Saving an FM station into one of its memory banks seems to be only for the 1130-K as the 830-K remote does not have the "D/ACCESS" or the "CLASS" buttons on it. I can't find anywhere in the manual how to save radio stations on the 830-K. Can anyone help?
post #26 of 67 Old 11-03-2015, 06:34 AM

I also picked up an open box vsx-830-k. I wasnt as lucky with accesories. No remote or microphone. Pioneer website is out of stock on remote and microphone is listed at $43. Do I need a specific mic or will any do? Also, do you have any suggestions on a remote replacement?
post #27 of 67 Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcosym View Post
I also picked up an open box vsx-830-k. I wasnt as lucky with accesories. No remote or microphone. Pioneer website is out of stock on remote and microphone is listed at $43. Do I need a specific mic or will any do? Also, do you have any suggestions on a remote replacement?
Im fairly certain any would do, i got my vsx90 open box and came with a mic from denon.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
post #28 of 67 Old 11-07-2015, 06:25 PM

Just bought one this afternoon...and now dead?

Hello all. My family and I picked up a VSX-830 this afternoon because of what I'd read here (and the price point was right). We got it home, did everything exactly as instructed and were quite happy with the results. Both my wife and I downloaded the iOS app for the receiver to our respective phones and after setting up the Wired LAN settings, the app informed us there was an update available. The update indicated that it had begun on the front panel of the receiver and was at 0% completion. My wife and I were looking through the instruction PDF and then noticed the receiver had shut off. Because the update instructions indicated that the receiver would turn off upon completion, we assumed this was normal behavior. We also noticed that the "FL OFF" light on the front panel was flashing. When we attempted to power the receiver back on, however, the front panel read "Power On" and then promptly the receiver switched back off.

And that's where we are now. There no longer seems to be any way to turn this thing back on and after a whopping 45 minutes worth of use, it appears as if the receiver's software upgrade from Pioneer has fried it. After thoroughly searching via Google, I can't find any information on how to come back from this, and given the situation we are now dealing with, the manual simply says to bring the receiver in for service. Obviously, since it was only purchased today, I should be able to swap it for another one at my local store, but I can't figure out how this could have happened. On the off chance any of you have encountered this before, is there anything else that can be done?

Thank you so much for your attention.
post #29 of 67 Old 11-08-2015, 11:42 AM

So i bought the VSX 830 some weeks ago, connected my ps4, htpc and sat to it and i was super happy
Sound was perfect, DTS HD MA ect worked perfect from my HTPC

But while playing ps4 i noticed that my blacks on the TV was very gray, so i tried my HTPC and yeah same there
The black levels witch used to be perfect on my TV (Perfectly calibrated Panasonic TV) is now gray and looks to be honest quite ****ty
Ive read the BIG manual but cant find anything related to this.
My tv is a 1080 LED panasonic, if i connect my PS4 or HTPC directly to the TV the picture is perfect
When i connect the PS4 or HTPC to my VSX-830 the black goes gray

I would be so happy if anyone could help me with this, is there any image processing you can turn of in the VSX-830 or something like that ?
post #30 of 67 Old 11-09-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Hausmanis View Post
So i bought the VSX 830 some weeks ago, connected my ps4, htpc and sat to it and i was super happy
Sound was perfect, DTS HD MA ect worked perfect from my HTPC

But while playing ps4 i noticed that my blacks on the TV was very gray, so i tried my HTPC and yeah same there
The black levels witch used to be perfect on my TV (Perfectly calibrated Panasonic TV) is now gray and looks to be honest quite ****ty
Ive read the BIG manual but cant find anything related to this.
My tv is a 1080 LED panasonic, if i connect my PS4 or HTPC directly to the TV the picture is perfect
When i connect the PS4 or HTPC to my VSX-830 the black goes gray

I would be so happy if anyone could help me with this, is there any image processing you can turn of in the VSX-830 or something like that ?
20usd reward for the person who helps me fix this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

taboola here