ARC on a Panasonic ZT60 - PCM 2.0. Is 5.1 "straight" possible? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2015, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ARC on a Panasonic ZT60 - PCM 2.0. Is 5.1 "straight" possible?

Hey All,

Home theater noob here. I'm having trouble understanding and finding an answer to my question: Can my Panasonic ZT60 take in Linear PCM from a Playstation 4 and output it as 5.1 to my receiver? Please understand I'm not even sure if this question makes sense logically, as I don't have a grasp on the difference between straight, raw 5.1, dolby 5.1, and pcm

My devices (ps4) are plugged directly into my TV, and I'm using ARC to send their sound out to my Yamaha RX-377 receiver. My receiver is telling me it is receiving PCM. When I choose "straight" it is only 2.1 sound. Is this normal?

Is there anyway to get 5.1 sound out of a "straight" signal through ARC? Does this even make sense? The ps4 has options to use Dolby digital and another output format instead of Lienar PCM, but is this any different than selecting a surround sound decoder on my receiver?

At the end of the day I'm trying to figure out how to get the purest 5.1 signal I can get.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 01:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3967 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
If you want 5.1 audio from the PS4, connect it directly to the RX-377.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Most TVs will only output stereo from external HDMI inputs. The best some will do is DD 5.1, which is lower resolution than the TrueHD or dts-MA tracks on Blu-rays. So, as jdsmoothie posted, you need to attach your PS4 directly to your receiver in order to get the purest 5.1 signal.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. DD 5.1 is working via ARC.

My tv (Panasonic ZT60) does indeed output PCM signal over HDMI ARC which can is then converted by Dolby Digital into 5.1 on my receiver. Pro logic, Movie, Music and Game mode all work in 5.1, though it's not direct or raw like you mentioned.

I noticed it worked because I had a youtube video that was only outputting in stereo (tv app). Dolby Pro logic output it in stereo no matter what setting I had it on (it was a low quality video). When I switched it to the PS4 which I had to set to PCM Liner, Dolby Pro logic worked from all speakers.

For those curious on getting the the zt 60 to work consistently with ARC, you need to go to APPS then pick Viera Link and change the option from TV to Home Theater. Also of course, you'll need to turn on HDMI control and ARC to ON on your receiver if necessary.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:05 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3967 Post(s)
Liked: 2248
^^
Dolby Digital Pro Logic means the TV is simply passing a PCM 2.0 signal which is being simulated into 5.1 by the AVR (but in fact is not the same as DD 5.1). As suggested, the best audio quality will only be achieved by connecting the PS4 via HDMI directly to the AVR.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Old 05-19-2015, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ah ok. I'll switch the ps4 output from PCM to DD and see if it comes through as that instead of PCM still
Old 05-19-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a reason you don't want to connect your PS4 directly to your receiver instead of routing the audio through the TV?
Old 05-19-2015, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, 90% of this tv's time is spent gaming. Video delay is my number one concern.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Video games don't have high res multichannel sound tracks. So, using the TV to route audio may be OK.

But, when it comes to Blu-ray disc playback, you will never get the same quality as a direct audio connection to the receiver.

Perhaps an HDMI switch is in order. Attach it to the PS4 output. Send the signal to the TV for gaming and to the receiver for movies.
Old Today, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Reporting back with a finding. Using the Amazon video app on my tv, it sends out this "decoder" - "Dolby Digital 5.1", to my receiver via ARC. This is NOT the same as the Dolby pro logic modes, or PCM.

This is really good unless I'm missing something. I've yet to test the ps4 in non PCM modes.
Old Today, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

All TVs will output DD 5.1 from sources they acquire themselves - from Smart TV apps and off air antennas, for example. However, most will not passthrough encoded multichannel sound from HDMI inputs.
Old Today, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Ah yes of course! Duh.