AVS Forum banner

The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread

1M views 11K replies 722 participants last post by  maestreaux 
#1 · (Edited)
#2,479 ·
Something annoying happened that hasn't happened before. Sometimes when I put in a blu-ray, I'll get nothing but static on the screen. Usually I just cycle the inputs, come back to the blu ray player and the picture is there. This time I got the static, and wasn't able to cycle through the inputs. After trying I realized the whole processor froze, I couldn't adjust the volume, the power button wasn't working or anything. I had to unplug it and plug it back in. Has this happened to anybody before? Is this something to worry about or just ignore it and hope it doesn't happen again?

#2,481 ·
I've ordered an AVM 60 that will be delivered on Tuesday. Can someone comment on the volume control smoothness? By this I mean does it slowly ramp up or down, or is it more aggressive. I had a Marantz Pre/Pro that seemed to jump up quickly which I didn't like. Not a deal breaker, but something less aggressive would be better. Also, does anyone know when the Mic for the ARC ios app will be available and the procedure to procure one.

Thanks.

#2,482 ·
Can someone comment on the volume control smoothness? By this I mean does it slowly ramp up or down, or is it more aggressive. I had a Marantz Pre/Pro that seemed to jump up quickly which I didn't like.
It is smoother than the Marantz AV7703 that I have, but not as great as Yamaha volume control.

It takes a second before acknowledging that you are holding the button to go up/down and then it goes pretty quickly. It doesn't seem like it is jumping.

#2,484 ·
I listed the av7703 as Marantz is in demand here. I'll probably list the avm 60 also and keep whatever doesn't sell.

Each function a bit different and I like different things about each one.

Room eq aside I'd probably give the sound quality edge to avm. But only because it's more what I like. It's a bit brighter sounding compared to a bit warmer sounding Marantz.

Arc is better than Audyssey in my room. But both are a child's toy compared to Dirac and Audiolense XO.

Both eq solutions need custom target curves. Audyssey is supposed to get that with their mobile app. We'll see.

Limiting correction with arc is great. I limit to around 1khz and that works pretty well in my room.

For two channel music I prefer no room eq with both processors.

My center channel could really use some time domain correction for clear dialog.

I'll probably pick up an XMC-2 mid 2017 when it's available and then an RMC-1 in 2018 if that's available by then. Nothing else stands out as interesting.

#2,486 ·
Thanks for the review Dan. I may have to watch for your AVM 60, assuming Anthem permits warranty transfer. I agree with you on 2-channel music and playing direct, though I have only had Audyssey over the last 5-10 years. I think I might have a change of heart with Dirac EQ. Hoping more products start to show up with Dirac in the future.

#2,487 ·
Trying to understand ARC. Can someone please explain:

What happens if I adjust the Max Eq Frequency?
What happens if I adjust the High Pass?
What happens if I adjust the Min. EQ Frequency?
What the "First Order" dropdown is? Is it only for the subwoofer?

Room Gain I have read about in prior posts. Thanks so much!

#2,489 ·
UPDATE: After the firmware update, I thought my problem was fixed, but it is not. I'm still getting a ~1 minute delay from when the AVM-60 is turned on until music starts playing. It's not all the time, but it happens maybe 50% or more of the time. I've been trying to figure out a pattern, but can't seem to figure out why it's happening. It happens with optical or coax.

On another note, I completed a little project a week ago that makes playing music on the Anthem a bit easier. The system is used to play music throughout the whole upstairs in my house and it's a pain to go find the Harmony remote just to turn on the system, just to put it down to grab a tablet or phone to find music to play. I made a little device that simplifies everything and you just play music to that zone, and it takes care of the rest, here's the video I made for it:

#2,490 ·
UPDATE: After the firmware update, I thought my problem was fixed, but it is not. I'm still getting a ~1 minute delay from when the AVM-60 is turned on until music starts playing. It's not all the time, but it happens maybe 50% or more of the time. I've been trying to figure out a pattern, but can't seem to figure out why it's happening. It happens with optical or coax.

On another note, I completed a little project a week ago that makes playing music on the Anthem a bit easier. The system is used to play music throughout the whole upstairs in my house and it's a pain to go find the Harmony remote just to turn on the system, just to put it down to grab a tablet or phone to find music to play. I made a little device that simplifies everything and you just play music to that zone, and it takes care of the rest, here's the video I made for it:

Very nicely done! I'm wondering whether your Harmony Remote system works with the Harmony app, so that you could accomplish the same using your tablet and the Harmony app. I don't know whether integration of the app with the physical remote works, such that the physical remote could pick up on the changed state of the system sufficiently to make the integration seamless.

#2,493 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Trying to start an ARC session. Using a Win 7 laptop. AVM60 on a wired connection, laptop on wifi. I launch ARC, select my calibration file for the mic, AVM60 shows on the list, select, measure.. then I get this: (see image)

Anyone see this before? or know how to correct it?

Attachments

#2,495 ·
With you on the whole remote thing... I still have an MX850 (10+ years now) and it just simply works and is super easy to modify any time I change out equipment. I tried a Harmony remote once and ended up returning it after a couple weeks due to many of the reasons you cite. I think it is difficult for anyone to switch to Harmony if they started with a URC remote. It's a case of ignorance is bliss.

#2,501 ·
Well, I took my new AVM 60 out of the box today and hooked it up to my main 7-channel amp, using the same balanced interconnects I've been using for several years. Unfortunately, I've got major staticky hiss on all channels with the AVM 60 connected to the amp, even when the AVM 60 is turned off. It is not hum, but scratchy hiss like that caused by an RF problem. The amp and preamp are both connected to a Monster Power HTS 5000 power center, along with the other devices in the system. I tried running a wire between the ground terminals of the AVM 60 and the Monster Power HTS 5000, but it did not help. When the wire was hooked up only to the AVM 60 ground terminal the hiss would change when I moved around the other end of the wire in the air, suggesting, perhaps, that the AVM 60, which has only a two-pronged plug, is prone to RF problems. I'm not sure what to try next. The amp and interconnects worked fine with my previous processor(s). Any suggestions?

#2,514 ·
I moved from the D2v3D and can tell you that I am pleased but this is not going to make a lot of sense (It's hard to explain), the sound is different but not in a bad way, separation between channels seems greater and more prominent but in a good way (everything still comes together nicely). The "Dolby Surround" preset sounds wonderful on everything and I am happy with my purchase.

#2,510 ·
Well, I tried plugging the AVM 60 and the amp into the same wall outlet, but the staticky buzzing noise is still present. I can't find my 1/4"-to-3.55mm headphone adapter jack, so I guess I'll have to make a trip to Best Buy.

#2,512 ·
Well, the saga so far: I put the AVM 60 in my system and got staticky buzz from all seven speakers. I tried connecting a ground wire between my Monster Power HTS 5000 and the AVM 60, and I tried plugging the power amp and the AVM 60 into the same wall outlet, with and without the ground wire, but the buzz persists. I have now put my old processor (an Integra DHC-9.9) back into the system, and there is no buzz, just silence. I have yet to try headphones, since I can't find my plug adapter. But I'm starting to suspect that the AVM 60 may be defective.

#2,513 ·
Yeah, all else being equal, sounds like it could be the AVM. I'd sure be interested to know if you get buzz in the headphone jack. In my case, I had the noise on all channels, banged my head a while, then got the *bright* idea to try the headphone jack with nothing else connected - BUZZZZ. There it was. Had to be the AVM. Sure enough, went to my dealer, tried the same thing - BUZZZ. Caught them off guard. Got the new one, buzz-free ever since. :) This was all reported to Anthem, but not sure if anything ever became of it.

#2,519 ·
Don't forget about AnthemLogic - Music mode either. It's my fav for expanding stereo music to additional channels. It uses all channels except the center channel and it isn't very aggressive with the heights.

Reactions: Kris Deering
#2,520 ·
I was listening to some of 2ch SACD's in DTX mode and they sounded pretty good to me!

#2,522 ·
Steve,

You might want to pick up one of these to test your cables:
https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-CT...id=1483578696&sr=8-1&keywords=behringer+ct100

I just discovered that 5 of 7 of my Emotiva XLR cables would produce an intermittent signal on the Behringer CT100 cable tester. So I purchased 7 new Ethereal XLR cables and none of these would produce an intermittent signal. I think an intermittent signal can indicate poor contact due to tolerances or iffy solder joints, and I suspect could produce some unusual noise (ie buzzing) in a system. I did consider purchasing the Blue Jeans cable but the connectors looked to be somewhat on the large/heavy side.

#2,525 ·
I do have a soldering iron but I would need to do a lot of practice before I would be comfortable relying on my soldering skills for critical audio cables. In theory, robotic/automated soldering should produce a better and more consistent result if a company has good QC. I am a little disappointed with Emotiva at this point and not sure I will buy any more cables from them... probably just stick with Blue Jeans from here on out.

#2,526 ·
Yeah, that's the big IF - QC.....

BlueJeans should be fine. Don't know which cable you selected, but I've used the Belden 1800F that they use (it's the only actual in-wall rated mic. cable I could find), 35 foot in-wall run to a subwoofer - no issues whatsoever - I really liked working with that cable, nice shielding and easy to work with. I don't like the Canare cable, it's good cable no doubt - but harder to work with for me is all. I really like the Mogami quad-mic. Neglex cable - also really easy to work with. And BJC uses Neutrik connectors, these are the only ones I'll use. They really are little pieces of art when you dissect them and play with them, let's you appreciate the engineering.

Anyway, hope the new cables solve your problem!! :)

#2,533 ·
I made this video if anyone is interested. I find ARC to be extremely flexible and powerful compared to what I was used to (Audyssey). I was able to clean up a dip in my subwoofer response using the quick measure feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp-K25exp9E

Charles, thanks very much for your informative video. Helps me, an ARC novice, very much. A discussion on what the "1st Order" drop down box does would also help.

#2,535 ·
It'll do plain old DD and DTS.

Reactions: RobDec
#2,542 ·
Gotcha. Anyway, mine don't quite flatten out after 500Hz, so until/unless I do some listening tests and comparisons, there is not much perceived change below 500Hz in these two graphs (first one has Max EQ @ 500Hz, next one @ 5000Hz):

#2,545 · (Edited)
Hi
Gonna get the AVM 60! I have a few questions though. How is the quality with CDs and vinyl? The D2v 3D converted to 24/192. Just wondering if the AVM 60 is close to that quality?
Also if I wanted to have a separate inputs for cd, phono and 6 channel (such as SACD and DVD-A), do I simply highlight "Add Input" and go from there? Or am I missing something?
On my D2v 3D when using NEO 6 the front panel reads "5.1 plus NEO 6" does the AVM 60 also have this type of info on the front panel?
If I disable the height speakers will the info be channeled to the other respective speakers (no lost information)?
When listening to SACD or DVD-A can I channel the sound from 5.1. to 7.1 or will I just have to listen to these audio formats in just 5.1?

Thanks Rob

#2,546 ·
Hi,

My approach is to listen CDs and vinyl without sound processing. In fact, pass through AVM 60. The DAC for CDs is done in OPPO and for vinyl is not applicable (pure analogue signal). The cables are RCA, followed by XLR - copper ones; amazing sound preservation of Anthem.

Regarding to SACD/multichannel - limited to stereo due to lack of 6 channel entry; again no processing here - pure pass through; if you want multichannel the only one way is HDMI (processed sound).

By far, for music the right choice is pass through via high quality cables. IMO

#2,552 ·
I wanted to ask experienced users an honest question about the AV60 vs MRX520 for home theater 5.1 use. I would be using a separate Amp with the Receiver

Can people hear any sound difference ?

the 520 is less than half the price of the AV60 with the Same Room Correction

these Sales Idiots at stores will always say the higher profit margin one is better even if they Never tested or compared