AVS Forum banner

The Official Anthem AVM 60 thread

1M views 11K replies 722 participants last post by  maestreaux 
#1 · (Edited)
#8,528 ·
In the "DD Dynamics" settings when Dolby Atmos is active, there is an option for "Auto". What does that mean? The only settings listed in the manual are for normal, reduced, and late night.

#8,533 ·
So I finally got ARC to work and ran it last night. (Should I be running it more than once? I noticed some people do that.) I generally liked the results, BUT my Fathom F113 sounds super flat now... sort like a dull thud. Any suggestions? My crossovers for each speaker in the AVM60 are set at 50hz. I just know nothing about subs; I’ve always connected them using the balanced outs for the fronts and used natural roll-off, so using the LFE channel is new to me. Definitely not successful so far, but all I did was run ARC and upload. Thanks!

#8,535 · (Edited)
How did you decide on a 50 Hz crossover? That sounds really low. Usually it is set around 80 Hz. The reason you would set it lower was if you wanted your speakers to be doing more of the low end work. Were you listening to music or movies when you say you don't like the results? As I mentioned a few posts ago, I definitely prefer using the AthemLogic Music setting for listening to music.

I would say one of the things that ARC does really well is how it integrates subs into the overall sound to make them blend in seamlessly. That being said, I created a separate custom "input" where I bumped up the subwoofer output a few dB for listening to music. For movies I just kept it how ARC set it. Unless you had a specific reason for using a 50 Hz crossover, I would be curious to know if you like it better if you use something like a 80 Hz crossover.

#8,534 ·
It would help to see your ARC results. Can you post it?

Did you take all the defaults, i.e. 5k Hz for MaxEQ? If so, you might try dropping that down to 500 Hz as an experiment to see if you like how that sounds. (No need to rerun ARC -- Load the file you're using into the ARC software, manually set the MaxEQ, let it calculate the new file, and upload the results. Might be a good idea to save it under a different name first.)

My old speakers sounded best with MaxEQ @ 11k Hz. My current speakers sound best with MaxEQ @ 500 Hz. Lots of people here go higher and lower, some turn off ARC completely because they don't like the results.

#8,538 ·
^Just noticed you have a Lyngdorf. How do you like that? Clearly it's in a different price tier than the AVM 60. How would you compare the two processors?

Just curious...

#8,543 ·
I plan to use my AVM-60 in my media room using both a projector as well as my LED TV. First, is there any special settings I need to set to be able to switch between the 2 outputs of the AVM-60 and second, should I run output 1 to the TV and output 2 to the projector or use the outputs in the opposite direction? Sorry if I've made this complicated in advance.

#8,544 · (Edited)
problem with height speakers

Hi
I have come across problem with my height speakers. I have come to the conclusion that I don't prefer ARC. So I disabled ARC. Then right after I disabled ARC and listened to some music (DTS neural X) I noticed no sound coming out of height speakers. What I did was enabled ARC then right after I disabled ARC, then I got sound. Now it has happened again. Not to alarmed because its just a 3 button tweek and only happened twice. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

#8,545 ·
Hi
I have come across problem with my height speakers. I have come to the conclusion that I don't prefer ARC. So I disabled ARC. Then right after I disabled ARC and listened to some music (DTS neural X) I noticed no sound coming out of height speakers. What I did was enabled ARC then right after I disabled ARC, then I got sound. Now it has happened again. Not to alarmed because its just a 3 button tweek and only happened twice. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Anyone??

#8,549 ·
Happy result, confused process

Ran into weird circumstance. Level matched 4 sealed subs and phase matched them at 15'. ARC showed perfection in subs. REW showed a 7 db null at 50hz. Changing sub distance setting in Anthem to 11' fixed the problem. When I then tried phase adjustment with the Anthem set to 11', only got an additional 10.2 db going from 1 to 4 subs. However, at 15' setting, got 10.8 db. When I ran ARC with the 11' phase settings, the results were poor. So, adjusted phase with Anthem sub distance at 15', ran ARC, changed sub distance to 11'.
REW now shows a 7 db rise from 20 hz down to 10hz. From 20-80hz, +/-3.
Very happy with results. Just don't understand reasons or process.
My wife now says my months long obsession was worth the result. High praise indeed.
Anyone understand the reasons for requiring this peculiar process?

#8,557 ·
Hi, I'm hoping for some help.
I have two HDMI input cables, one from an OPPO bluray the other from the cable box and oneHDMI output to a projector. When I try to listen to a CD and select the bluray input I don't get any sound unless I turn on the projector. Then I can turn the projector off again which cuts out the sound for two seconds while its powering off. Do I need to change a setting in order to allow me to simple turn on only the bluray and anthem when I want to listen to music. ??
thanks, steve

#8,558 ·
Hi, I'm hoping for some help.
I have two HDMI input cables, one from an OPPO bluray the other from the cable box and one HDMI output to a projector. When I try to listen to a CD and select the bluray input I don't get any sound unless I turn on the projector. Then I can turn the projector off again which cuts out the sound for two seconds while its powering off. Do I need to change a setting in order to allow me to simple turn on only the bluray and anthem when I want to listen to music. ??
thanks, steve
Sounds to me like you are using some sort of ARC (Auto Return Circuit).
Check the back of the Anthem's HDMI out and I also turn all that stuff off in the Anthem and the OPPO.

Hope this helps

#8,560 ·
This is something I've always been a bit puzzled about.

Why is the bass button on the remote above the treble button?

Seems backwards to me.

#8,563 ·
Lol. @major T I remember reading all your posts and the trouble you had getting things right... so I bet you're right with your prediction of the new update.

Given Antem's history of numbering their past pre-amps, I'm willing to bet itll be a 70..ha ha

Reactions: MajorTendonitis
#8,567 ·
And just to think, i got rid of my avm60 due to all the issues i was having, and the flat sound i kept getting. But after the emeotiva rmc1 being a flop, and the integra drc r1.1 producing what sounds like white noise at reference levels, i am back to the avm60. So maybe this new arc will bring what is missing

#8,568 · (Edited)
For my companion experience for AVM60, it never had '' flat sound''. I tried Anthem P5, Lexicon LX7, RX7, Proceed AMP5 (better use bridged mode) even QSC DCA1644, It's performance of create huge sound stage, surround effects, sound quality/ thickness, density...etc., never let me down. Dirac Live would never had the advantages for an user who don't have quite knowledge base for acoustic calibration. On the contrary, it may cause users to get wrong operation much easier.

I am quite impressed by it's algorithms of ARC's bass management and phase alignment. I used REW to double check each channel after running ARC. The result is so good than I could image. And ARC for now is my best choice of Auto-cla.

You should get it back once again and you will love it.

#8,570 ·
WOKNROX

Yea the issues i had with the first 2 avm60's i had were horrid. I will say with this one i have now, everything seems to work much better. But i still hold my same comment as before, with arc turned on when listening to music, i am not impressed. Hopefully this new arc will adress those issues. Also, a nice quality dac is a must, i have been using a rega dac with the avm60 now, and talk about music actually sounding like music now. But i guess my past complaints were mainly due to faulty units, and after the issues other companys are having witb their products, i guess thats just a part of high end audio.

#8,571 ·
Hi everyone. I have a question about the subwoofer outputs on the AVM60. Currently, I have a rather long room with leather furniture and rather limited placement options for subwoofers. I have a Velodyne subwoofer in the back of the room which does a great job in itself but if you're seated near the front of the room it seems the furniture drowns out the low frequencies. If i turn it up, it sounds great up front but gets rather boomy in the back. I did place a small subwoofer temporarily in the front, ran thru ARC and it sounds great both front and back. Unfortunately, I can't leave the subwoofer in the front as it's in the way.

I'm picking up two Mythos ST-L speakers from a local estate sale which will replace the Mythos One speakers I have currently. They have built in subwoofers and their footprint is not too much bigger than my current speakers (IOW, wifey signed off). My question is the subwoofer input. The AVM60 has two RCA subwoofer outs. I'd like to use that to feed the ST-Ls. Can I still use one of the XLR subwoofer outs on the AVM60 to feed the subwoofer in the back of the room?

#8,572 ·
You can use Y splitter on any subwoofer output because that's basically how multiple subwoofer outputs are made on Anthem MRX and AVM.

#8,592 ·
@nevets77
I run my cable box into the OPPO-203 then into the Anthem. I output to the PJ...JVC. Everything works as it should.

Not sure what PJ you have but you might want to give it a try.

#8,595 ·
Sadly , my projectors HDMI CED is already turned off. I tried to create a new input on the Anthem using the Oppo HDMI input but disabling the video but when I select no video option the Anthem does not allow me to keep the HDMI input, forcing me to select an alternative audio such as coax. I tried using another Anthem HDMI input slot just in case , but no luck. I was forced to connect a Coax from the Oppo to the Anthem and that seems to work. Disappointing that I can't simply use the one HDMI cable but there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in sound quality for a CD so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

#8,600 ·
Hey guys, if you are running multiple subs, what's a good way to test for phase for each sub to make sure there aren't any cancellations?

Thanks
Dan

#8,601 ·
I think I kept adjusting the phase on the subwoofers while taking continuous dB readings at the MLP and picked the phase that gave the highest dB reading. I'm not an expert though and it's been a while since I messed around with those settings.

#8,607 ·
I am looking to set my subs up using the Earl Geddes approach which requires the duplication of LF content to the subs with the mains running full range. ARC seems to be full-range or bass managed. Is there any way to do this using the AVM 60?
You'd have to wire the Sub so that the full range signal for Left Front/Right Front also goes to the Sub -- i.e., via a Y adapter into stereo inputs on the Sub. LF/RF would play full range, and the Sub would *ALSO* play the bass portion of LF/RF as determined by its own low pass filter setting. Wiring the Sub this way would mean you lose LFE content (the .1 of 5.1 or 7.1 tracks) since that does not go out on the signal to LF/RF. Some Subs include a THIRD input which you would wire from the Sub output of the Anthem to carry LFE to the Sub -- with the Sub then being responsible for mixing that into the bass it is extracting from the separate LF/RF channel inputs.

I doubt you'll be able to get a good solution from ARC when wired this way, so you'd likely have to forego room correction.
--Bob

#8,609 ·
Any former Lexicon MC owners here? I've held onto my Lexicon MC-8 and MC-12 for the last 15 years due rto Logic7. I've been told Anthem Logic is a pretty close DSP to logic 7. Does anyone have direct experience comparing Logic7 to AnthemLogic and the MC-12 to the AVM 60?

The AVM 60 seems like a decent upgrade path but the key points would be how how AnthemLogic handles 2 channel to MC conversion for music and how well the AVM60 sounds overall for music.

#8,615 ·
Anyone have experience trying to use both software to get better bass from multiple subwoofers? I have dual JTR Cap S1 subs hooked up from my Anthem Avm60 to a MiniDSP 2x4HD. But after I got good PEQ settings from REW into my MiniDSP 2x4HD, I ran ARC and then frequency response turned horrible.

Does having MiniDSP 2x4HD negate the benefits of Anthem’s ARC for multiple sub calibration? Can ARC correct for only above my crossover point so I can keep the peq settings in the MiniDSP? Should I sell the MiniDSP and just use ARC to calibrate my 2 subs? I assume I need to turn off my peq settings to have ARC run effectively and vice versa?

How best to utilize the benefits of both ARC and a MiniDSP at the same time?

Thanks for any help on the two software. Am confused how to get them both working in harmony.

#8,616 ·
How best to utilize the benefits of both ARC and a MiniDSP at the same time?.
I raised the Min EQ Frequency to 120 Hz for the Subwoofer in the ARC targets for each Profile (then compute and upload). That prevents ARC from applying any EQ to the subwoofer. I use a MiniDSP to perform all the subwoofer EQs.

#8,622 ·
Does anyone use PlayFi to play Tidal music from the AVM60?

Today I try the first time, and found that it lags on every 5-6 second, (no sound in between).

I choose HiFi quality or normal quality,both have same lagging issue.

My Anthem is connect on 1G LAN cable, and my mobile is on 5G wifi .

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk