Receiver turning off with half volume... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By FMW

post #1 of 9 Old 05-24-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Receiver turning off with half volume...

I have what is probably a pretty simple question to answer. I just setup a small outside audio system for the summer that consists of a Nakamichia RE-10 receiver, 4 Polk Audi Atrium 4 speakers, and 2 OSD Audio OVC300 volume knob controls (2 speakers on each control). Both VCs are set to 1/2 for impedance matching. When I push the receiver volume close to half way it will begin to turn on and off... going into a protection mode, I assume.

Do I just not have a large enough receiver to push these four speakers? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,
Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-24-2015, 09:07 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 1239
Rewire the speakers in series. My guess is that you have an impedance problem.
Shadowed likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Try a different setting on the control. Try the 4x setting. The higher setting should be more protective of the amplifier. But you may get less volume at the speaker, and have to turn up the amp, and be back where you started.

Or, aim a fan at the receiver if it is heating up. You won't hear it if you are outside.

https://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst...rol-Manual.pdf

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot

Last edited by RayDunzl; 05-24-2015 at 09:32 AM.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-24-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 198
The OSD components are inexpensive and unreliable...
Also their power handling spec is bogus..
These type of cheaper, lower quality attenuators present a very strange load to the amplifier, and in certain instances can actually damage the amplifier.. The RE-10 is a good stereo receiver but does not like low impedances, so if the loudspeakers (Polk Atriums) are wired in parallel the impedance would be 4 Ohms. The suggestion for wiring the loudspeakers in series and maybe worth a try, however IMHO as an installer I don't like to wire loudspeakers that way. As then the impedance would be 16 Ohms and the RE-10 would have very limited power output...

In my experience since we do AV commercial & home installs, we stay away from the cheaper, lower quality brands as in the long run they are unreliable. And if I have to send one of my techs back out to troubleshoot/fix the system the profit has just been tossed out.. Note that the better brands of the volume attenuators are SpeakerCraft, Niles..

I hope that helps clear things up for U...

Just my $0.02...
post #5 of 9 Old 05-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmman View Post
I have what is probably a pretty simple question to answer. I just setup a small outside audio system for the summer that consists of a Nakamichia RE-10 receiver, 4 Polk Audi Atrium 4 speakers, and 2 OSD Audio OVC300 volume knob controls (2 speakers on each control). Both VCs are set to 1/2 for impedance matching. When I push the receiver volume close to half way it will begin to turn on and off... going into a protection mode, I assume.

Do I just not have a large enough receiver to push these four speakers? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best,
Travis
Disconnect the speaker wires from the receiver and make sure A) only 1/2" of insulation has been removed and B) no strands from + or - is touching the other. Do this at the volume control, too. Doesn't matter which end, it's a problem.

While the speaker wires are off of the receiver, measure the resistance on the speaker wires. I doubt that receiver likes 4 Ohms, regardless of the name on it.

I connected one of these to a six pair Niles speaker selector with volume controls and it never cut out. It didn't really sound great at mid-high level with all speakers playing, but that was never the intended configuration, anyway- we always planned on using a bigger power amp.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 37
If all Wiring is ok, increase the impedance matching to 4 or 8. This should help, though it will limit your max volume level

I suspect FMW is right as to the problem

Last edited by dkfan9; 05-24-2015 at 03:39 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. I just found out that the speaker wire that was run is 18 gauge. Could having this small of a wire be causing these issues?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmman View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. I just found out that the speaker wire that was run is 18 gauge. Could having this small of a wire be causing these issues?
No, if anything, it may help slightly if the wires are very long. If you have audio in all speakers, nothing is shorted. I'll go along with the impedance suggestion...get it up to 8, or at least higher than 4. Don't worry about the limited maximum volume just yet.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-10-2015, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post
No, if anything, it may help slightly if the wires are very long. If you have audio in all speakers, nothing is shorted. I'll go along with the impedance suggestion...get it up to 8, or at least higher than 4. Don't worry about the limited maximum volume just yet.
Thanks... I will adjust the VC's to do so and see if it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page