Any sub $1k 7.1.2 atmos receivers? Keep 7.1 or move to 5.1.2 with Atmos?? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Old Today, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any sub $1k 7.1.2 atmos receivers? Keep 7.1 or move to 5.1.2 with Atmos??

I've currently got a 1080p Pioneer Elite receiver, running 7.1. I'm getting a new 4K TV so I need to update the receiver too....

I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-90 but I don't think it will do 7.1.2. So should I move to 5.1.2 or is there another receiver that would let me add Atmos enabled speakers and keep my 7.1? The $800 of the VSX-90 was pretty much at the top of my budget.

TIA,

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Today, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
I've currently got a 1080p Pioneer Elite receiver, running 7.1. I'm getting a new 4K TV so I need to update the receiver too....

I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-90 but I don't think it will do 7.1.2. So should I move to 5.1.2 or is there another receiver that would let me add Atmos enabled speakers and keep my 7.1? The $800 of the VSX-90 was pretty much at the top of my budget.

TIA,

-Dave
IDK of anything in your price range at the moment. The rumors indicate more Atmos / HDCP 2.2 receivers will be released over the summer and early Fall, so if you want 7.1.2, you should probably wait.

This might be a dumb question, but what 4k source do you have that will require you to upgrade your AVR immediately? I would keep your 1080p AVR for now, let your TV upscale to 4k, then upgrade your AVR in a few months once there is one better suited to your needs / budget.
post #3 of 7 Old Today, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor15 View Post
IDK of anything in your price range at the moment. The rumors indicate more Atmos / HDCP 2.2 receivers will be released over the summer and early Fall, so if you want 7.1.2, you should probably wait.

This might be a dumb question, but what 4k source do you have that will require you to upgrade your AVR immediately? I would keep your 1080p AVR for now, let your TV upscale to 4k, then upgrade your AVR in a few months once there is one better suited to your needs / budget.
Thanks for the response! I didn't think about keeping my current receiver. 4k content that we could stream would be netflix, amazon... same as everyone else. However we do have a pair of the new Phantom 3 drones that shoot 4k. We don't have anything to watch our beautiful 4k video on though.
post #4 of 7 Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopokdave View Post
4k content that we could stream would be netflix, amazon... same as everyone else.
There aren't too many streaming devices that output 4k ATM, so you would likely want to use your TV's built in applications, which would not be passing video through your AVR.

As far as your captured video, how do you currently connect it to your TV? I'm assuming the sound isn't 5.1 anyways so you can probably just connect it directly to the TV.
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor15 View Post
There aren't too many streaming devices that output 4k ATM, so you would likely want to use your TV's built in applications, which would not be passing video through your AVR.

As far as your captured video, how do you currently connect it to your TV? I'm assuming the sound isn't 5.1 anyways so you can probably just connect it directly to the TV.
Dang I didn't think about that either. We use Chromecast (on the AVR) to stream right now, but can use the TV apps like you mentioned. But then I need to audio-out from my TV to my AVR (would need to change source??).

Last edited by slopokdave; Today at 12:21 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The Pioneer VSX-90 AVR will do 7.2 DTS HD MA /DOLBY TRUEHD and 5.2.2/ATMOS
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 04:47 PM

Your Chromecast is only 1080p, so the video is unlikely to benefit from a new AVR. Yes, you will need audio out from your TV. Your setup will look something like this:

Current 1080p sources should remain connected through AVR, just like before
Code:
 --------------             -----           ----
 |1080p Source|   --------> |AVR|  -------> |TV|
 --------------             -----           ----
When using 4k Apps on your TV, the Video is already on your TV and you can send 5.1 back to your AVR either via HDMI ARC or an Optical Digital Cable, so you will just switch to the proper input

Code:
 -----                                   ----
 |AVR|  <--[HDMI or Optical Digital]---- |TV|
 -----                                   ----
For your drone, you didn't mention what device you use for playback or how it connects. If your TV can play 4k video files, you just plug a USB stick into the TV to playback in 4k, and it will pas the audio back just like above. If your drone has HDMI, you can also just plug it right into the TV.

When you upgrade to a new AVR (make sure it supports HDCP 2.2) everything will work exactly the same except future devices like your 4k blu-ray player can be plugged directly into your AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page