AVS Forum banner

*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread

1M views 13K replies 1K participants last post by  MagnumX 
#1 · (Edited)
*Official* Marantz 2015 NR-1506/1606, SR-5010/6010/7010 & AV7702mkII owner's thread

Welcome to the Marantz 2015 receivers and pre/pro thread!

Well it's that time of the year again when Marantz starts to unveil their line up for 2015.

Starting this summer and continuing into the fall, new receivers for their slim line series as well as the full height receivers and revised pre/pro will be announced and become available to purchase.

This is a master thread for the new 2015 Marantz receivers and pre/pro models. Owner's (or potential owners) can post their questions in a single master thread rather than the shot gun approach that's happened for the 2014 products.

To kick start things, the cat's been let out of the bag on what we're going to be expecting courtesy of the June 4 article by What HiFi here: http://www.whathifi.com/news/marantz-releases-five-2015-home-cinema-amps-upgrades-preamps

So what are we expecting for 2015?

Two new slim line receivers with model numbers NR1506 and NR1606. The higher end NR1606 will have Dobly Atmos in a 5.1.2 speaker configuration.:)

Three new full height receivers with model numbers SR5010, SR6010 and SR7010. All will now have Atmos and DTS:X in various speaker configurations. The receiver to watch out for is the SR6010 which is going to have Audyssey XT32 and this means that Marantz now has two receivers with top of the line Audyssey XT32 room correction.

The only new pre/pro for 2015 is going to be the AV7702mkII. The previous 2014 flag ship from Marantz is the AV8802 and for 2015, its essentially the same, just renamed as AV8802A with built in HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 at the factory. The flag ship models are in a two year up-date cycle, while all other models are on a yearly up-date cycle.

As more details of each model are released, the 1st page of this post will be up-dated accordingly.

General notes for posting in this thread.

If this is your first visit to this thread, and you want to ask a question about one of the 2015 Marantz models, either one that you own or one that you are thinking of buying, please provide the following information to allow for better responses to your questions:

(a) Identify the model number in question (eg. SR5010), as there are 6 different models (NR, SR and AV series) discussed in this thread. Also if you have not posted in several days since your initial post, please post the model # again so we don't have to back track to learn which model you are referencing.

(b) Identify what you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue and what the front panel is displaying if an audio issue, (also take a few minutes to review the Troubleshooting section provided in post number 3 of the 2015 Denon thread as the Marantz models are similar in nature and your question may already be answered there),

(c) Unless you indicate what settings have been changed, the assumption will be that all settings are on the factory defaults (ie. usually "Auto"),

(d) If the advice given seems to simplistic or obvious, don't shoot the advice giver as we have no idea of the level of your technical understanding,

(e) If there is no response to your post, it either means no one knows the answer or it has simply been overlooked so please repost if you still haven't resolved your issue,

(f) If you post a question in this thread and are given advice and either it or some other advice (eg. Marantz phone support, Marantz "Ask a Question" email support) resolves your issue, have the common courtesy to post back what solution resolved your issue so others can learn from it as well,

(g) If the issue is not user error or not just a misunderstanding on how the AVR works, please call Marantz support so the issue is registered,

(h) When responding to another post that is providing assistance to you, please press the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of that other poster's response so that response is also listed with your new post to provide some context, and,

(i) If you don't live in either the USA or Canada, please either indicate your country location in your profile or your post as some Marantz models from other regions in the world differ in configuration from their USA/Canada counterparts otherwise responses made will be regarding the USA/Canada models.

See less See more
Reactions: cdx47
#670 ·
So I hear the new StarWars Battlefront game coming out will be the first video game to support Dolby Atmos on Windows 10 which sounds exciting. However, right now my computer is hooked up in my computer room and I have HDMI splitter to the TV and Monitor and analog 7.1 channel splitter from the PC sound card to the analog 7.1 Ch Inputs on the Marants SR5010. In this way, I would believe Atmos PC gaming is not possible because i'm not using HDMI for the audio. Is that the correct understanding?

My configuration at home is a bit complicated but basically I want to avoid plugging the HDMI from my PC directly into the receiver then to TV because of mismatched HDMI black levels (full range compared to limited). The TV is set to limited to handle everything else the receiver is connected to such as game consoles and bluray. If I output my PC limited in the settings, then my computer monitor looks washed out. Thoughts?

#671 ·
So I hear the new StarWars Battlefront game coming out will be the first video game to support Dolby Atmos on Windows 10 which sounds exciting. However, right now my computer is hooked up in my computer room and I have HDMI splitter to the TV and Monitor and analog 7.1 channel splitter from the PC sound card to the analog 7.1 Ch Inputs on the Marants SR5010. In this way, I would believe Atmos PC gaming is not possible because i'm not using HDMI for the audio. Is that the correct understanding?

My configuration at home is a bit complicated but basically I want to avoid plugging the HDMI from my PC directly into the receiver then to TV because of mismatched HDMI black levels (full range compared to limited). The TV is set to limited to handle everything else the receiver is connected to such as game consoles and bluray. If I output my PC limited in the settings, then my computer monitor looks washed out. Thoughts?
Yup ... correct understanding.

#672 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. I have to look into a way to get my PC, Monitor, TV and Receiver to play nice then.

#673 ·
Can the Marantz SR5010 take an HDMI surround sound source, play in surround sound and simultaneously output a stereo downmix (no apparent missing detail) through say stereo RCA? If so how do I set this up? I can't find a clear answer in the manual

#678 ·
It would be interesting to see a simplified block diagram of the signal path of the audio signal for the 7010.
It upsamples all channels to 32 bit, correct?
Then through Dolby/DST/Auro decoding, bass management and Audyssey corrections? What comes next after that?

#681 ·
The SR7010 has a 32-bit DAC. It doesn't have ADCs which can sample or resample inputs; but it should have DSPs which are processing 16/20/24 bit-per-channel input signals with at least 32-bits of precision, and generating 32-bcp PCM format to the DAC.

First, the AVR has input selection (possibly multiple ones in the case for zone 2/3) to choose which digital signal(s) to amplify. The chosen digital signal get processed via the Dolby/DTS decoders, then through the DSP circuitry to perform Audyssey for room correction, level adjustments, etc. The results of that will be a 2-channel to multichannel PCM signal that gets fed into the 32-bit DAC. They produce multichannel analog audio which gets fed to Master Volume and then to the HDAM and then the power amps.

Multichannel analog in skips almost all of the digital processing steps and can be chosen instead of taking the output from the DAC.
Here's a diagram of the last part, also showing how "direct" mode bypass works:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...al-emotiva-umc-200-thread-4.html#post24254494

[ Yes, that's a post to the Emotiva amp thread, but the basic diagrams are going to be the same for D+M or anyone else. ]

#682 ·
Quick question :

For a large (20x30) media room, and a AV budget of ~2k, would you suggest:
- Marantz 7010 or
- Marantz 7702 (mk1) plus outlaw 7125?

7702 are being closed out at around 1k, and 7125 is about 1k as well. Both together will cos about the same as 7010. I'm going back and forth between the two, and can't seem to make my mind up.

#686 ·
^^^ Good point. If the AVR can upmix an analog 2-channel signal, then it must be using a ADC somewhere to feed that into the DSU and DSPs performing Audyssey. However, I don't believe these receivers will process a multichannel analog signal-- those work in direct mode.

#911 ·
Okay - so regarding multichannel inputs, like 7.1 input.

There's two things about this that confuse me.

1) Fancy players like the Oppo can have nicer DACs, so some say to hook them to the 7.1 multi-channel in to get clearer/better sound to those channels.

2) In general, people say that Audyssey room correction makes a very noticeable difference in sound quality

3) In general, people say that an extra 8 bits in your DAC (i.e. a 24 bit on the 6010 to a 32 bit or fancy DAC on an Oppo) is not noticeable to many, and makes only slight difference.

My conclusion would be - to use the HDMI in from the Oppo and use the standard path in the Marantz - because giving up room correction will hurt your sound quality more than the better DAC in the audiophile source.

Am I off base? :confused:

#689 · (Edited)
Pete,

The principal of time aligning two subs is the same and is not dependent on actual sub location in the room. Even with your current Sub 1 and Sub 2 location being a bit more spread out, it is still possible to follow a basic method and combine both subs onto a single channel.

Does your subs' plate amp have the ability to adjust the phase delay? If so, then set the furthest distant sub phase delay to 0 deg. Then adjust the phase delay of the closest sub so that it matches up. There is some maths that can be used to work out the approximate delay based on the selected crossover frequency. I would need to dig up the email exchange between myself and Brian Ding of Rythmik Audio to come up with the formula.

The best is to carry out in room REW measurements (15Hz to 300Hz) of the combined Sub 1 + Sub 2 on a single sub channel. Once you have the gains for each sub at the correct level, it's simply a matter of adjusting the delay of the closest sub then measure the in-room response via REW and check the frequency graph.

What you're looking for is a frequency response that looks pretty smooth (i.e. trying to get rid of the room nulls) in the bass region at the Main Listening Position (MLP). Also check for seats next to the MLP. If you can minimize seat to seat variance that would be close to ideal. If the peaks are consistent across the seats, don't worry as Audyssey XT32 will take care of them. It is the nulls that need to be addressed via phase delay adjustment.

Adjust the delay and re-measure with REW again until the 15Hz to 300Hz frequency response is as good as you can get.

The Audyssey FAQ is here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a-1726.html#101top

Technical Addendum on the differences between XT32 and lower versions of Audyssey is here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...thread-faq-post-51779-a-1726.html#addendumtop

I've include both links in post number 8 in the 1st page of this thread.

Reactions: petetherock
#695 ·
ok, so it won't take an HDMI source, such as a cable box and output both HDMI and component at the same time? To do both at the same time, the source of the cable box must be component?

#697 ·
I didn't consider that, makes sense. And just strictly speaking audio for this next quesiton: I have a zone 2 stereo analog output section on the back of the SR5010. Can that output a downmixed stereo from my surround sound source, and play both at the same time? Surround sound in one room, and the down mixed stereo in another?

#699 ·
If I were to use the SR-5010 as a preamplifier/processor connected to external amps, will I still benefit from the HDAMs (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Modules) even though I'm not using the 5010's internal amplification?

#705 ·
Yes, a 5010 should be HDMI 2.0a + HDCP 2.2 spec compliant. (HDMI is the cabling and signal protocol. HDCP is the digital copy protection.)

#707 ·
Well the Marantz USA finally updated their site to reflect a press release for September. Dated September 3 but posted on September 11. I've been watching like a hawk hoping to see an announcement on the new AV7702 MK2 however was disappointed with no mention of a new PrePro this month. I however have noticed a huge price drop in the current AV7702 at retailers like Crutchfield so that gives me hope we may actually see the MK2 in the USA. May not be October for us considering the European sites already have this unit listed and the announcement has been made. Sure hope this forum's intel. is right because it would suck to have to wait till next October for an AV7703

#718 ·
Thank you Fatbottom and Cswiger, your input has been appreciated. Is there a standalone DPLIIx console that I could buy and just place between my 2 -channel music source (iPod via dock) to the AV7702 using either coaxial or HDMI ? It would be nice if the same console could deal with 5.1 channel content from my BDP. Obviously, any content with more than 5.1 channels coming from the BDP would be handed over to the processor to deal with.

#729 ·
Actually I feel the DSP chipsets do matter..

Over the years, better / faster processing has helped in assiting the creation of a more enveloping sound field.

The older ones used in the older AV 8003 and the x002 series did not allow for both lossless coding and Audyssey for example.

I used an old DP 870 Zoran chip equipped DD processor, and it had a wonderful sound.. the first digital processor I ever owned.

There are other variables, but a better chipset can have potential benefits. Cheers