Adcom GFA 545 II and Polk Audio SDA 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adcom GFA 545 II and Polk Audio SDA 2

Hello

I got Polk Audio SDA 2 speakers set, Which I would like to connect via their special interconnect cable that requires COMMON GROUND amplifier.
Right now I am using Yamaha DSP A2 amp which sounds great, But I was recommended to replace it to a true stereo amp with lots of power (I mainly listen to stereo at moderate volumes - around 40 watts per channel max).
I am considering getting an ADCOM GFA 545 II power amplifier, And wanted to know if it works as a COMMON GROUND amp, So I won't kill it when I'll connect the special interconnect cable.

Thank you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have a set of SRS-SDA 2.3 speakers driven by an av receiver feeding a separate power amp. In my system, the separate amp does substantially improve the sound quality.

I believe the Adcom amp you referenced is a common ground amp - most are.

You will run into issues if you try to use separate mono amps.

You might get more specific information on the Polk forum, as there is a lot of information on the SRS-SDA speakers over there.

I'm using a Crown X1000 amp with my speakers and it has really opened the sound quality up, especially at lower volumes.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
I have a set of SRS-SDA 2.3 speakers driven by an av receiver feeding a separate power amp. In my system, the separate amp does substantially improve the sound quality.

I believe the Adcom amp you referenced is a common ground amp - most are.

You will run into issues if you try to use separate mono amps.

You might get more specific information on the Polk forum, as there is a lot of information on the SRS-SDA speakers over there.

I'm using a Crown X1000 amp with my speakers and it has really opened the sound quality up, especially at lower volumes.
Thank you Aydu for the reply.
Other forums confirmed it's a common ground amp, So I'm good to go once I get the amp and schitt sys preamp
post #4 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Schitt headphone amp and one of their DACs. I think you'll be impressed with the performance of their products.

Good luck with your set-up and happy listening.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Aydu
post #6 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish72 View Post
Hello

I got Polk Audio SDA 2 speakers set, Which I would like to connect via their special interconnect cable that requires COMMON GROUND amplifier.
Right now I am using Yamaha DSP A2 amp which sounds great, But I was recommended to replace it to a true stereo amp with lots of power (I mainly listen to stereo at moderate volumes - around 40 watts per channel max).
I am considering getting an ADCOM GFA 545 II power amplifier, And wanted to know if it works as a COMMON GROUND amp, So I won't kill it when I'll connect the special interconnect cable.

Thank you !
How did you figure out it was 40 w/ch max? Why do you need different power? Both your Yamaha and the Adcom amps are 100w/ch amps....
post #7 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Lovin'

I wrote that I listen in moderate volume and meant that I don't use all the amp power potential.
Hope I'm more understood now.

Source : M-Audio Audiophile 192
Preamp : B&k Reference 20
Power Amps : Meridian 205 dual mono power
Speakers : Polk Audio SDA 2
post #8 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just curious how you pinpointed that it translated to 40w. If you're not using the current amp's potential then why change it? I could see if you were playing at very loud levels and were running into clipping or something but that's doubtful at moderate volume levels. If you do change amp, why step sideways instead of increasing power substantially? Even a 200w/ch amp is only going to give you 3dB more....
post #9 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm....Well, I think this is mostly psychological decision.
I read in lots of forums that the polk audio SDA set LOVES power and can never get enough of it, And I think that a preamp + stereo power amp will have a better channel seperation and better sound and reliability in general, But maybe I'm wrong.
From all of my experiments during the last few years (I had audiolab 8000s integrated amp that I bought new and it broke 3 times in about 3 years, Also had TWO Yamaha V995 that wasn't 100 perfect (Had problems with dial volume and low volume levels and keeping setting in memory), I understand that part of it is luck.
I had an opprotunity to sell the DSP A2 today, So I could use the money I got to get the power amp, But the seller wasn't serious and I'm stuck with some weak power Yamaha rx-v397 amp for now that sounded nice on a bookshelf jbl speakers but unable to push BASS on the polks.....
I am searching for some second hand 100W rms/channel @ 8ohm recievers that will replace the DSP A2 I sold until I'll find a nice power amp.
Actually I have a friend that offered me AMC 25100 power amp that is usually a 5 channel power amp that only 3 of his channels work for the price I sold the Yamaha, So I'm considering that too....
But you might be just right, And I needed to leave the Yamaha as long as it worked ok for my needs....

Thank you for your insights.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Your speakers use as much power as you dial up with the volume control. They don't magically utilize unused power in the amp, or somehow gain sound quality because of an amp's potential. Either you need the amp power for your goals or you don't. The amp that Aydu mentioned he uses has significantly more power, and is readily available for $230; I have a couple of its slightly bigger brother, the XLS1500. What are you using for preamp if you get a power amp?
post #11 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered Schitt sys passive preamp which supposed to arrive next week.
I saw that the crown's power amps have internal fans which is a big NO NO for me because i don't listen in high volumes usually.
It is true that the speakers will use as much power as you set the dial, But more powerful amps move the speakers more easy at low volumes (At same low levels the yamaha 397 barely moves the bass of the polks while the dsp a2 pushed much more bass and both amps are set with disabled tone controls).

post #12 of 14 Old 06-18-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Heard little about Schiit (and what an unfortunate name), thought that was mostly headphone/silly dac stuff. What led you to pick the Schiit?

The Crown amps are extremely quiet, you literally have to put your ear up to the amp to hear the fan and even then its very quiet. Some electronics hum louder.

I've not had that experience with my various avrs and amps, i.e. that amps setup with the same level have different amounts of bass output. That sounds like magic...or a defect.
post #13 of 14 Old Today, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I love both the Schitt and the Crown equipment.

Schitt produces great gear at reasonable price points.

Same for Crown and the fans on my amp are dead quiet while the amp is running.

The "amps are amps" argument is a valid one - if you can't hear a difference, why buy additional equipment.

I have always found that adding an amp to a system does more than provide increased volume headroom, it improves the quality of the audio.

No need to argue, or do double blind test in outer space.

Just listen and you'll have your answer.
post #14 of 14 Old Today, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hahahha @ Outer space
Just got a meridian 205 dual mono power amps and the sound is AWESOME !
I can ditch the interconnect until I get an answer from meridian about common ground. But it's worth it !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page