• SR 7009

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Wait for the x010 series

Votes: 1 20.0%

Stereo Sound Quality Marantz SR6007 vs. 6008 / 7008 / 7009

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I would like to upgrade my SR6007 and I have the 6008/7008/7009 models on the short-list. The main criteria is stereo sound quality ( pure-direct mode) ... there are of course many other diffs like audissey, atmos, outputs, watts, etc but those are all secondary for me and I wont pay much extra for any of them. There are also quite some price-differences but let's say that those do not play a big role ... i.e. I'll pay for the 7009 if the stereo SQ is indeed much better.

A few questions about the stereo SQ differences:

1. is a 6007-to-6008 upgrade worth the trouble? (the 6008 has extra HDAMs, maybe that's an audible SQ improvement)

2. is there generally an audible SQ difference between the 600x and 700x models?

3. are there any improvements to the DLNA player between the x007/x008/x009 series?

4. Is there an audible SQ difference between the 7008 / 7009 models?
5. in the x009-series thread a few people mentioned that the 7009 is a bit of a departure from the Marantz house-sound: more detailed and aggressive/shrill than the musical/relaxed sound of previous models. That's of course quite relative but anyway, can anyone confirm the sound-signature change?

I know there is a very small probability that anyone has heard/compared all those models and can answer all Qs but any tips are highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Added a first vote for 7008. That would be my hunch-choice for now cause I assume there is a SQ difference between the 600x and 700x models : more space allows for better isolation & electrical regulation, maybe the 700x also have better components like improved HDAMs, DACs, transformers, etc.

Still thinking about the 6008 though because I do not really need the extra outputs & power (standard 5.1 setup with old-school SFaber speakers)

#4 ·
The 700x series has audyssey xt32. That should matter over the 600x series, which only has xt.

#6 ·
I think 2.1 music sounds worse in pure direct than it does with Audyssey (flat) with my older Marantz 6004. I'm looking to upgrade right now as well. Having trouble deciding between the 7008 and the Denon 4520, though. I don't now, nor will I ever need the two additional channels, so that doesn't matter to me. Like you, I care more about the sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.