AVS Forum banner

I Just Noticed This...Oh What, Oh What Has Onkyo DONE!?

6K views 132 replies 49 participants last post by  IntelliVolume 
#1 ·
I know aesthetics are purely subjective, but UGH!!

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Receiver

The RZ receivers coming from Onkyo -- aside from the quasi-sexy large, open faceplate design -- are downright horrifying, especially in the volume knob area...Christ, Onkyo, what have you done!? That knob, set inside the concave-like "shell" of sorts, as seen on the RZ900 here:

just screams YAMAHA AVR to me...and that's NOT a good thing IMO. The faceplates themselves may be kinda sexy and fetching, but those volume knobs have GOT to go...:mad:

Subsequently, I've been saying Onkyo needs to get back to the angular, inverted faceplate design of the 605/705/805-era AVRs rather than the all-flat look they took on since the 609; even those smallish volume knobs encased in the whitish light ring scream "cheap" to me compared to the solid knobs on the 705, 805 et al (my 605 came with a complete waste of a cheap, flimsy knob that in no way hints at the power this AVR puts out; the 8555 stereo receiver in my two-channel setup boasts a REALLY nice, heavy, machined aluminum knob that feels great in the hand)...

I don't know; anyone else think these receivers look a bit Yamaha-esque, with the "double ring" volume knob look?

See less See more
#5 ·
Yamaha? I immediately thought it was a blatent Denon rip-off...;)

#6 ·

just screams YAMAHA AVR to me... anyone else think these receivers look a bit Yamaha-esque, with the "double ring" volume knob look?
Denon FTW! ;)

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Wow, lots of varied feedback on this one, huh fellas? Well, as we know, looks are completely subjective, but I don't care for the volume knob design one bit...to the gentleman who asked what's wrong with Yamaha's aesthetics, I must wholeheartedly disagree there -- though, of course, it's all just personal opinion -- as I think those five-legged Aventage AVRs are some of the ugliest pieces of gear to be forced on the public in some time.

What caught my attention about the new Onkyo volume knobs on these series, and what lead me to compare them to Yamaha and not Denon, as was suggested, was that they remind me of Yamaha's "double ring" volume knob design which I think is a bit of an eyesore; the way the new Onkyos' knobs sit in that "cocoon" of sorts reminded me of this element...

Note the DESIGN of the volume knob areas...

As an extreme enthusiast and fan of this brand, it struck me as offputting; I, for one, don't like to bury my gear in a closet or closed rack so the pieces can't be seen...I actually like to look at the gear as a film is playing on screen, so aesthetics is a deal breaker for me in SOME sense. I think Onkyo's older faceplate designs were more fetching -- I'm referring to the 605-era receivers they made...

Interesting discussion, though!

#15 ·
Absolutely, totally 100-percent agreed, LD -- I had a few of their stereo receivers, and the amber is always what set them apart...:)

The newer, cold-white-ish hue they use on their more modern gear doesn't compare IMO.

#16 ·
I like a simplistic design. The front of this is way too busy for me. My current Onkyo 806 isn't great looking, but it's better than the new ones, IMHO:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=onkyo+806&safe=off&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CUqUVb_4N87WoASq8q3ADw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=s57hsLRkD8jogM%3A

Doesn't matter, though, I won't go back to Onkyo anyway. I had to send it in for a new HDMI board. It still messes with my image even though it's set to passthrough. Oh, and no Audyssey...

#32 ·
I like a simplistic design. The front of this is way too busy for me. My current Onkyo 806 isn't great looking, but it's better than the new ones, IMHO:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=onky...q8q3ADw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#imgrc=s57hsLRkD8jogM:

Doesn't matter, though, I won't go back to Onkyo anyway. I had to send it in for a new HDMI board. It still messes with my image even though it's set to passthrough. Oh, and no Audyssey...

I totally agree about the 806, Blaster; I would have loved the 805 when I got my 605 but we couldn't afford an AVR in that class at the time...plus, the 605 was the big thing when it was released! (First AVR to decode the TrueHD and Master Audio formats)...

Sorry to hear about your Onkyo endeavors, though; luckily, I have had no such issues with my 605 in all the years I am running it...and this model is notorious for HDMI board failures...

Seems to pass through 1080p video (and upscaled DVD video) from my Oppo BDP-83 just fine, and I don't use Audyssey so that isn't a factor to me...

#17 ·
after my last onkyo w/hdmi board failure it will be a while before i try them again...same can be saif if this marantz dies early. im just not a fan of stuff that fails early even if it is just bad luck.

i dont care for the look either.

Reactions: IntelliVolume
#18 ·
I just wish the volume knob was larger ;). Must have been all guys on that design team. What is really needed is a matching knob the same size on the left side. Then change the model name to RZ900DD :D.

Bill

Reactions: Dark Matter
#33 ·
I just wish the volume knob was larger ;). Must have been all guys on that design team. What is really needed is a matching knob the same size on the left side. Then change the model name to RZ900DD :D.

Bill

I actually don't care for the "two big knobs" design on other manufacturers' units, a la the older Denons and the newer Yamahas; I still prefer one nice machined, heavy volume controller and the rest buttons...I don't even like the "Input" knob to cycle through...

#19 ·
Haven't cared for Onkyo asthetics since the 702 I had (in silver) way back...Integra's have looked OK but they just didn't seem very high-end looking.

My first thought was the old Onkyo NR-TX 1000, until I googled it. I agree the new Onkyo looks more like a Denon then a Yamaha, which quite pleasing to look at IMO. The white display is easier to read but I understand those who prefered the old orange display instead. My two favorite looking receivers are the H/K's from the early 2000's (8000, 7200, 520, etc) and the Pioneer Elites with the shinny black faceplates (94, SC-27, etc).

#20 ·
My two favorite looking receivers are the H/K's from the early 2000's (8000, 7200, 520, etc) and the Pioneer Elites with the shinny black faceplates (94, SC-27, etc).

Regarding the HK AVRs...
What many may not be aware of...
The USA based HK AVR team in Northridge, CA actually did the product development, software, hardware and industrial design. Whereas the majority of the AVR competitors outsourced the development and industrial design from the Orient. The HK AVRs always had their own kool ID design, along with clever DSP software and great sounding high current amplifiers. Sad to say for the last 5 years, all of their AVRs are now designed/sourced from the Orient...

Just my $0.02... ;)

#21 ·
I'm thinking of a particular line from Spaceballs. Perhaps you can guess what it is. ;)

#23 ·

The RZ receivers coming from Onkyo -- aside from the quasi-sexy large, open faceplate design -- are downright horrifying, especially in the volume knob area...Christ, Onkyo, what have you done!? That knob, set inside the concave-like "shell" of sorts, as seen on the RZ900 here:

just screams YAMAHA AVR to me...and that's NOT a good thing IMO. The faceplates themselves may be kinda sexy and fetching, but those volume knobs have GOT to go...:mad:

Subsequently, I've been saying Onkyo needs to get back to the angular, inverted faceplate design of the 605/705/805-era AVRs rather than the all-flat look they took on since the 609; even those smallish volume knobs encased in the whitish light ring scream "cheap" to me compared to the solid knobs on the 705, 805 et al (my 605 came with a complete waste of a cheap, flimsy knob that in no way hints at the power this AVR puts out; the 8555 stereo receiver in my two-channel setup boasts a REALLY nice, heavy, machined aluminum knob that feels great in the hand)...

I don't know; anyone else think these receivers look a bit Yamaha-esque, with the "double ring" volume knob look?
I like them too. Little different looking which isn't a bad thing, has a little old school look to it. Gotta open up your mind a little bit. Not a bad thing to look different.

#35 ·
It's not about "opening one's mind"...it's simply about sharing opinions about the aesthetics, which we're all doing; it's such a subjective thing, as I have been saying, that we're all going to have different opinions about the looks...I personally don't care for it, and my mind IS open about many things...was just looking to have a lighthearted discussion with fellow electronics enthusiasts who would value such things as AVR faceplates (though, as I said in my previous post, this isn't really turning out too well).

Reactions: philmike21
#36 ·
Take it easy -- there's no need to get that way (and please fix your spelling if you're going to insist on yelling at someone for starting a thread about AVR faceplate designs). I merely wanted to engage a lighthearted discussion about these new AVRs and their likeness to (in MY opinion) Yamaha receivers. No, I don't "sit around and stare at my AVR all day"...that ISN'T why I started the thread. But I do like to LOOK at my gear, and I know others do too (though they would probably never admit it in a thread like this to avoid being "sucked into" the argument this is all inevitably leading to)...sure, there's an argument that can be made that EVERY piece of gear is merely a black (or silver) box and all look the same...but I was discussing and pointing out SPECIFIC ELEMENTS on the faceplate design such as the volume knob, and how it seems to be a negative departure (again, in MY opinion ONLY) from the previous-generation Onkyo AVRs.

#29 ·
It's pretty much guaranteed that there will be a 1030 & 3030 replacement. The question is, will they be the 1040 and 3040 with the same old chassis, or will Onkyo use the new chassis like the 800 & 900 for everything going forward and call them the RZ1000 & RZ3000, or something similar to that.

I have seen JD mention the 1040 specifically a few times, so he may have already received "insider" info that they will be the 1040 & 3040.

#26 · (Edited)

What do you mean by "open face plate design".......the picture shows the receiver with it's door in the open position. Man that thing is ugly to me.......I love my 3009.......and the Yamaha orange of old too !!

Now I have several Yamaha units (cd changer, cd recorder etc) with the orange display but my remaining Yamaha receiver is the RX-V1075 (RX-V1075 ='s RX-A1030 missing the all important 5th foot!) with the blue display.

#38 ·
What do you mean by "open face plate design".......the picture shows the receiver with it's door in the open position. Man that thing is ugly to me.......I love my 3009.......and the Yamaha orange of old too !!

Now I have several Yamaha units (cd changer, cd recorder etc) with the orange display but my remaining Yamaha receiver is the RX-V1075 (RX-A1030 missing the all important 5th foot!) with the blue display.

Well, what I mean is -- and no, I wasn't referring to the (you are correct) open door that covers the controls -- the way the faceplate looks so overwhelmingly large, boxy and...well..."open"...the faceplate elements don't look as "cramped" as the AVRs from previous lines a la the 605/606/607/608/705/706/707/708/805/806/807 et al...

As for your Yamaha's display -- is it really a "blue" hue in the newer models, not white? I never really saw one in person (that I can recall) and the display graphics always look whitish to me...

#39 ·
Well, the enthusiasts I'm targeting with my discussion and observations do in fact care about aesthetics; I happen to look at my gear even while I'm watching a disc.

Reactions: GLBright
#40 ·
I personally think it looks alot better cosmetic wise, hate the green display letters though!

Ill never buy another. Hope they fixed the hdmi board issues, and are using Better Guts! But, I doubt it...

#41 ·
I personally think it looks alot better cosmetic wise, hate the green display letters though!

Better compared to what -- which generation?

The green display letters, in that italicized-esque "font," has been an Onkyo staple since the beginning; some say it looks elementary and boring, while some (like me) happen to like the italicized approach to the readouts...all subjective, I suppose. :)

Ill never buy another. Hope they fixed the hdmi board issues, and are using Better Guts! But, I doubt it...

This seems to be a consensus with so many Onkyo owners of the past; fortunately none of the models I have experience with have broken down or given me any issues...and I run both my 8555 and 605 DAILY for many hours...

Sorry you left the Onkyo clan; hope your next experience is better!

Reactions: toddman36
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.