AVS Forum banner

The **Official** Yamaha RX-V779 Thread(2015 HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2 Receiver)

103K views 675 replies 141 participants last post by  DigitalDJ 
#1 · (Edited)
I got my Yamaha RX-V779 Receiver last night and set it up. Here are some links to its specifications and some observations about the receiver. I will keep this first post up to date with all of the latest information and issues(If those come up) for the receiver.

Yamaha RX-V779BL 7.2-Channel Wi-Fi Network AV Receiver with Bluetooth. MSRP = $849.95. Current Street Price = $799.95.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v779_black_u/?mode=model

User Manual:
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=64778

Full Support of HDMI 2.0a Spec: 4K Ultra HD Video Upconversion, HDCP 2.2 and High Dynamic Range (HDR)
Bluetooth® for wireless music streaming and Compressed Music Enhancer for Bluetooth
Built-in Wi-Fi and Wireless Direct
AirPlay®, Pandora®, Rhapsody®, Spotify®, SiriusXM™ music streaming service and AV Controller App
DSD 2.8MHz / 5.6MHz, FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit, Apple® Lossless 96 kHz / 24-bit playback
YPAO™ - R.S.C. with multipoint measurement
HDMI Zone B for audio / video streaming to another room (same content as main room)
Aluminum front panel for enhanced rigidity
Binding posts for all speaker terminals
7.2-channel surround sound

7.2 Channel Pre-outs for use with an external amplifier
Built-in wireless.
YPAO™ - R.S.C. with Multipoint Measurement
YPAO™ Volume to Ensure Natural Sounds Even at Low Volume
SCENE for One-touch Start
CINEMA DSP 3D and Virtual Presence Speaker
Advanced Multilingual GUI On-screen Display

Considerations:

1. It can connect to 2.4 Ghz wireless connections but not 5.0 Ghz connections
2. The default 4K video Mode is 4:2:0. You must change to Video Mode 1 to pass 4K @ 60 FPS 4:4:4 video.
3. There is only a single power button toggle switch on the remote. It does not have discreet commands to turn power on and off on the remote. This can present issues with CEC HDMI control if not setup properly.
4. The Default Speaker Impedance is 8 Ohms. It can be configured to handle 6 Ohm speakers and 4 Ohm speakers for the front channels.
5. Only HDMI 1-3 are HDCP 2.2 compliant
6. The receiver already has a firmware update available. It took about 20 minutes to complete last night.
7. Harmony has not added the Yamaha RX-V779 to their list of supported devices yet. I had to manually configure my receiver to work with the Harmony remote.
8. The Yamaha TSR-7790BL is an identical clone with the same MSRP
9. The receiver does support true 60 FPS. It will only allow 59.97 FPS from my computer at 1080p. This does not always appear to be the case. I was able to get 1080p @ 60 FPS 4:4:4 to work by switching to HDMI output 2 only. It will probably work with output 1 only as well.
10. The receiver did not appear to support UHD/4K @ 59 or 60 FPS at all. When I connect my computer directly to the TV it will allow 4K @ 60 FPS. However, when I connect it through the receiver it only allows 30 FPS. That was even with changing the 4K video mode to Video Mode 1 which should allow 4K @ 60 FPS 4:4:4 but it does not appear that it does allow that. It will probably need a firmware update to fix this.

UPDATE: 4K @ 60 FPS started working all of a sudden. It is not 4:4:4 but that is because my video card does not support it. However, 4K/UHD @ 60 FPS is now working properly as well as 1080p @ 60 FPS 4:4:4. The only thing I changed is that I was outputting over HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs before. I am only outputting over HDMI 2 only now.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a Yamaha RX-V663 and a RX-V775 setup in the same location with the same speakers before I got the RX-V779. I use a 5.1 channel setup with ERA Design 4 speakers and an SVS 10 inch sub. I have to power the inefficient low Ohm ERA speakers with an external 5 Channel amp so I need a receiver with pre-out connections.

I also use a pair of ERA Design 3 speakers as presence speakers above and behind the TV. Those are connected directly to the receiver.

The RX-V663 really could not utilize the presence speakers properly. With that receiver you almost never would get sound out of the presence speakers. With the RX-V775 you could configure a dialogue lift of +3 or +4 and the presence speakers would be fully utilized.

The sound from the rear speakers was too localized with the RX-V775 even after I used the YPAO automated calibrated routine. With the RX-V779 the rear speakers came alive and fill the rear of the room with sound. I could always directly pin point where the speakers were with the RX-V775 but that is not the case with the RX-V779 and the exact same speaker placements and sound programs. I believe the YPAO calibrations and the sound field programs of the RX-V779 are superior to the previous models.

The YPOA volume and A.DRC are extremely useful in the RX-V779. They worked reasonably well in the RX-V775 but they are exceptional in the RX-V779. I can easily listen to full surround sound at night without waking everyone in the house up. Then if I want more volume and a less compressed dynamic range for the audio during the day I can achieve that simply by turning it up louder.

The YPOA volume and A.DRC are the biggest reasons why I choose Yamaha over other brands. Those functions are critical for my needs and they work extremely well now with the latest Yamaha receivers.

I originally had planned to buy the new Yamaha Aventage RX-A1050 receiver to get Dolby ATMOS support. However, I really wanted 7.1.2 support and I believe I would have to step up to the RX-A2050 at $1600 in order to get that capability. Twice as much was not worth it for me to get the newer speaker configurations but that may be reasonable for someone else.

Let me know what other questions you have about the receiver.

#8 ·
I use an external amp for everything except for the presence speakers. The whole point of this receiver is that it is the least expensive Yamaha receiver with HDCP 2.2 and 7.2 channel pre-outs. There would not be much of a point in buying this receiver if you didn’t plan on using the pre-outs for at least the main channel speakers.

You could save hundreds of dollars with a lower model if you don’t need the extra pre-out connections.

I can tell you that the processing for this receiver is much better than previous generations. I have had many Yamaha receivers in the past and this is the first one that I was truly satisfied with its surround sound processing.

I am not looking for ultimate quality. If I wanted that then I would have one of the Atmos receivers and I would have spent 4-5 times as much on my equipment. I just want a good receiver to reliably do all of my HDMI switching and also provide excellent surround sound that won’t wake up the house.

The RX-V779 is the first receiver that I have bought that can truly deliver the “night listening” surround sound that I need. My daughter’s room is right next to our theater so I really need it to have clean clear vocals without earth shattering bass.

Using the dialog lift and the dialog gain settings I was able to achieve that. However, it wasn’t at the expense of surround sound. I left the Adaptive DSP turned off so that it wouldn’t adjust the surround sound with changes in volume. That allows me to still hear surround sound at low volumes and still boost just the vocals from the center channel.

Really when combined with the multi-position YPOA calibration this receiver delivers a balanced surround sound experience.

I would love to have been able to afford a good Atmos setup but I simply couldn’t in the end. This receiver gave me the next best thing in my opinion.

#9 ·
I'm curious why you say that the surround sound channels are less "localized" with this receiver over the 775 (which I have). I haven't noticed any difference from my 663 that I upgraded from.

Did you use specific content for A-B comparison? same decode mode (or if STRAIGHT with lossless, multichannel audio tracks), same speaker levels, same speakers, etc?

#10 ·
Same speakers. Same Content. Same Processing mode. However, the YPAO is different. I used the multi-point only with the newer receiver despite the fact that the older one had it. Therefore, it wasn't 100% 1:1.

The surrounds seem to create a better sound field in the rear with the newer receiver. It may just be the multi-point YPAO gives that? Not sure. However, the new receiver definitely was easier to get to a point where I could just let it be and stop fiddling with settings.

#11 ·
If you were using the YPAO PEQ settings, then it's not A-B. Go into Manual Configuration and put PEQ to Through. ;)

#13 ·
It is in the advaced menu. Do a search on how to change the ohm impedance in the manual and it will tell you how to get into the advanced menu of the receiver and how to change the video mode.

#15 · (Edited)
For those that haven't purchased yet compare the Yamaha A850 for only $100 more street price July 2015.
The extra $100 gets you longer warranty, almost exact same chassis with 2 more hdmi inputs, phono input,
independent speaker crossovers, dolby atmos surround, ypao auto eq of the subwoofer output and a 4 band
manual parametric eq on same subwoofer output.

Pick from 31hz, 39hz, 50hz, 63hz or 79hz. No other mainstream brand offers the last feature. And best of all the
rear panel doesn't share most inputs so the remote control has 20 input buttons! The most of any receiver made.
This model supports a massive amount of simultaneous video and audio inputs. All for $100 more!

#18 · (Edited)
Hello RX-V779 owners. Do any of you still have the promotional stickers which are often placed on the unit for showroom purposes, or at least a photograph of them, showing the power measured in watts?

I know exactly where to find this spec. but that's NOT my question. What I am trying to establish is if the rumor I heard in an Audioholics video is true, namely that the sticker on some 2015 releases of Yamaha and Denon, such as the RX-V*79 units, shows the overly optimistic JEITA standard which allows for a whopping 10% THD [at 1 kHz]:eek: in order to brag about having a rather inflated power spec. Under this "standard" the RX-V779, for example, is described as being, gulp, 160 watts/ch!

Bonus points for anyone who can direct me to an actual image which shows exactly what the promotional stickers say.
THANKS! [From a long time owner of several Yamaha receivers over the years]

#19 ·
Hello RX-V779 owners. Under this "standard" the RX-V779, for example, is described as being, gulp, 160 watts/ch!
Two channel is about 147 watts/8ohm 1% distortion. Where they really fall off is in multichannel load.
I have seen subwoofer amps rated to 10%, but for main speakers that is a joke. Once these amps hit
the elbow the distortion goes up fast. Ten percent doesn't even raise the number much. lol
That graph in the link stops at 2% distortion. Good for them.

#20 · (Edited)
RX-V775WA:
Channel 7.2 Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven)110 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)95 W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)140/180/210/250 W
source: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v775_black_u/

RX-V779:
Channel7.2Rated Output Power (1kHz, 2ch driven)110 W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD)
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven)95 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 160 W (8 ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)130 / 170 / 195 / 240 W
source: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v779_black_u/

If this new JEITA "standard" (160W figure) is truly making it to the store promotional stickers as a bullet point to attract shoppers, we need to speak up and tell Yamaha, Denon, etc. that we won't put up with this deceptive advertising!

The whole point of stating that a power spec is within "X %" distortion is because it means the figure is promised to be below that critical level, hence inaudible, but guess what? 10 % is audible!

#21 ·
(tongue in cheek) So the A850 is the "more cow bell" variant. Color me envious. But depending upon street price after they've been out a few months, the 779 may pull ahead as an economical alternative (more than $100 difference).

Reactions: greatartiste
#22 ·
I purchased a 779 last week.

Is there any playback option for including the subwoofer for 2.1 playback from a 2-channel audio source? My main speakers don't go as low as the music, and I've got this subwoofer sitting there doing nothing...

I don't want to fancy everything into 7.1. I don't want to play with the DSP to achieve this. I just want to know if there's a simple way to playback the original 2 channels with the subwoofer picking up the low frequencies.

Thanks!

#24 · (Edited)
I don't want to play with the DSP to achieve this. I just want to know if there's a simple way to playback the original 2 channels with the subwoofer picking up the low frequencies.
99% of modern gear, at least AVRs like our Yamahas, do all manipulations, even L vs R balance, bass, treble, etc. digitally. Separating out only the low bass and sending it to the sub while maintaining the higher frequencies for the main two or more speakers (called "bass management") is also a digital process. Bottom line: if you want to use the unit's subwoofer out for incoming, stereo, 2ch music, you have to generate a third ".1" bass signal and that's done using digital processing (in modern gear).

Many subwoofers, especially older designs, have circuits built in to separate out the low bass on their own. You could use that circuit instead of the sub out jack on the receiver if you insist on this "avoid digital processing" stance, which I think you should drop.

Reactions: greatartiste
#23 ·
For proper 2.1 playback of stereo music verify all speakers are set to small in manual
speaker configuration menu. That will activate the crossover to the subwoofer. At that
point 2 channel stereo will play as 2.1. From there using stuff like pure direct mode will
turn off the subwoofer, but most audio modes will leave subwoofer active.

#25 ·
For proper 2.1 playback of stereo music verify all speakers are set to small in manual
speaker configuration menu...
That uses digital signal processing. [Not that I have anything against it but the other poster seems to want to avoid it.]:
I don't want to play with the DSP to achieve this.

#27 ·
^Also digital signal processing.

#30 · (Edited)
Unfortunately different audio brands often use different terminology for exactly the same thing. This makes things confusing even for a seasoned expert not familiar with a particular brand's lexicon.

Yamaha (as one example), at least on my receiver, uses a mode called "Standard" which means "Ignore the incoming standard, including its number of channels, and instead apply manipulations to the sound to modify it to our standard". Oy.

Their terminology for "alter the music as little as possible and preserve the same number of channels as the original incoming source" is: Straight. You are allowed a sub in this mode.

Also be advised that turning on "direct" or "pure direct" dissallows subwoofer output unless the incoming signal itself already had a dedicated ".1" channel meant to go to a sub. Stereo 2ch music, for instance, has to have its sub channel synthesized by the receiver so it wouldn't have any sub out signal if in a "direct" mode.

#34 ·
Hi @All

I got my 779 today and just finished setting it up (including updating the firmware). So far I'm very pleased but I stumbled over a strange behaviour:

Apart from two video sources attached via HDMI, I have two audio sources attached to it:
A CD Player connected via optical cable to AV1 and
a Sonos Connect connected via coax cable to AV2.

When I choose AV1 I can listen to CDs just fine, adjusting the volume, choosing DSP, whatever - everything works as expected.
But when switching to AV2, strange things happen:
Firstly, I nearly blew my ears away! I always keep the volume adjustment feature in the Sonos Connect disabled in order to handle the volume using the amp (previous one was a Onkyo). But with the 779, the volume control doesn't have any effect, I have to use the volume control of the Sonos to stop the earthquake!
Secondly, when the playback on the Sonos is still running, I can hear it on any other AV channel - on AV1 the playbacks of the Sonos and the CD are even mixed :confused:
And when listening to this mix, the volume control of the 779 again does only have an effect on the volume of the CD playback...

Strangely, it does not work the other way round - when the CD playback is running and I choose any other channel than AV1 the CD playback can't be heard anymore (this is what I would expect from AV2 likewise).

I scanned the manual and all the setup options but I can't find any error in my configuration and consequently no way to change this strange behaviour.

Did anyone have the same problems or does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Jake

#35 ·
Hi @All

I got my 779 today and just finished setting it up (including updating the firmware). So far I'm very pleased but I stumbled over a strange behaviour:

Apart from two video sources attached via HDMI, I have two audio sources attached to it:
A CD Player connected via optical cable to AV1 and
a Sonos Connect connected via coax cable to AV2.

When I choose AV1 I can listen to CDs just fine, adjusting the volume, choosing DSP, whatever - everything works as expected.
But when switching to AV2, strange things happen:
Firstly, I nearly blew my ears away! I always keep the volume adjustment feature in the Sonos Connect disabled in order to handle the volume using the amp (previous one was a Onkyo). But with the 779, the volume control doesn't have any effect, I have to use the volume control of the Sonos to stop the earthquake!
Secondly, when the playback on the Sonos is still running, I can hear it on any other AV channel - on AV1 the playbacks of the Sonos and the CD are even mixed :confused:
And when listening to this mix, the volume control of the 779 again does only have an effect on the volume of the CD playback...

Strangely, it does not work the other way round - when the CD playback is running and I choose any other channel than AV1 the CD playback can't be heard anymore (this is what I would expect from AV2 likewise).

I scanned the manual and all the setup options but I can't find any error in my configuration and consequently no way to change this strange behaviour.

Did anyone have the same problems or does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Jake
Well, there IS a volume trim on the Options menu (p. 93 of the manual). That said ... you're describing something I'd consider a manufacturing defect.

1. Can hear one input while selecting another. :(
  2. Volume is maxed out on a digital input. :(
  3. Volume cannot be corrected, sounds like it's ruining your speakers. :mad:
I'd return that to the store/seller, do not pass GO, do not collect $200. Take a look at the troubleshooting section, but I don't think they'll have a common (and user-fixable) description for what you're describing.

#38 · (Edited)
Running two pair of front L/R stereo speakers in the same room is not advised from a sound quality point of view and running them in two different rooms, one set on the amp and one from the pre-outs to an outboard amp, will "work" however there is no way to have independent control of bass management, tone controls, EQ, distance, balance, or even volume. They will be locked to exactly the same configuration for both pairs.

Units like this which have variable level "zone outs" ["multi room pre-outs"] give a bit more independent control of the secondary room, however it is typically stereo only, not surround sound, and YPAO mic tests and calibrations work only for the main room.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
#41 ·
For documentation on firmware updates, you might want to visit the Yamaha website for the product. The link is:

usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v779_black_u/ (I'm too new here to post an actual link)

If you click on the "Support" tab you'll see a PDF file named "Additional Features" that describes the new feature of MusicCast, which seems to be the ability to _transmit_ to a BlueTooth device. There is another guide that seems to be a repeat of the same MusicCast information.

The very sad thing I noticed is that the "Additional Features" document replaced the previous "Additional Features" document, which described how to register "Favorite Item Shortcuts" using the remote. Making me wonder how many other Additional Features documents are lost in time, and how many features I don't know about.

#42 ·
My kingdom for a TV power control!

I would be so happy if I could just power the TV on and off with the remote.

Not merely "On when the receiver is on, off when it is off." I want to be able to turn it on, find my Net station or whatever, and turn it back off. Without a second remote.

I know, I know. "And wouldn't it be great to control the TV volume as well?" And to control.......

But I'd be so happy to be able to control the power. Even a single switched outlet would be great.

#44 · (Edited)
I would be so happy if I could just power the TV on and off with the remote.

Not merely "On when the receiver is on, off when it is off." I want to be able to turn it on, find my Net station or whatever, and turn it back off. Without a second remote.

I know, I know. "And wouldn't it be great to control the TV volume as well?" And to control.......

But I'd be so happy to be able to control the power. Even a single switched outlet would be great.

I want to transmit the LR signal to a pair of ear-protection headphones for mowing the lawn.

I don't see any tape-loop outputs. Or any outputs except speakers, HDMI, and video monitor.
Wow. I hadnt realized until these two questions that some features of my 775 were dropped off of the 777, 779:

- AV OUT
- Source and TV controls on the remote control

:( .... PFFFT! to you, Yamaha.

For the lawn listening, I can only suggest the Zone 2 output, but you are limited in what sources can be played through it. See p. 82 of the manual.

#46 ·
Using a 1/4 inch TRS phone plug to stereo RCA adapter cord, to feed the wireless headphone transmitter using the front panel headphone jack, has an advantage that it turns off the speakers in the main room when in use. Many wireless headphone transmitters even come with such a cord.

#47 ·
Hi all, I'm kind of confused with this receiver by two things:

1. I see pics of it online with and without a phono input. Were there two revisions of this receiver?

2. Compared to my Pioneer 1222K which is now dead, I find the audio or dialogue to be more recessed sounding. I mean not the actual center channel volume which can be raised without really fixing the issue. It seems like during big action sequences, dialogue gets lost or buried where with the pioneer, it was seemingly more intelligible. Has anyone noticed this if coming from another brand of receiver? Is it just the way its decoding? I did find a dialogue level adjustment (I think its three settings). I think I have to take it up one or two notches for it to feel like my previous receiver.

Any suggestions welcome.

#49 ·
1. Check p 12 of your manual. PHONOGRAPH input is only available in certain countries.

2. Use the On Screen, Info display to see if the content has a dialog vol adj flag.

#48 · (Edited)
RXV779s officially sold in the US and Canada do not have phono. Other countries do.

An outboard phono preamp from a third party could be bought for an unused auxiliary input though, should you need it. The are usually $30 or so for ones of comparable quality to what Yamaha receivers with phono might have.

As for the dialog sounding different the only thing that comes to mind is that maybe due to mic placement or room décor YPAO has dialed in objectionable EQ which adversely affects the dialog. Maybe try running YPAO again but using a different microphone placement technique at a slight different "ear height"? Not sure.

Are you aiming the mic straight up? Was there any other noise in the room? If an AC, frig, or fan is running it can change readings slightly.

#50 ·
Oh I see. Yes I did actually check the manual after being confused or a bit and there it said that north American models don't have the phono. I find it odd they did that but oh well. It was more just a wonder more than anything else.

As for the dialogue, I had done the measurement pretty much the same as with the pioneer. Microphone pointing up from the seated position. I have a box that I set it on which lifts it to about hear height. I've even tried bypassing all that and doing the settings manually (ie the distance and using an SPL meter and tones to set the levels). The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the pioneer by default had some dialogue enhancement which was turned on and I didn't know about it. I will play some more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.