AVS Forum banner

Audio Speach Problem

266 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  M Code 
#1 ·
I purchased a complete home 5.1 system back in 1997 that worked great till the receiver died about 10 years later.
I replaced the receiver with a Denon AVR 684 to match the power of the speakers but we noticed that it was much harder to understand what people were saying on TV so we had to use the CC.. A few years ago I bought a Yamaha RX-V567 and we still have the same problem.
I know my speakers are good and better than most I've heard at friends.
The old system was connected Optic audio and component cables . Now everything is HDMI and Optic for audio.
I tried just HDMI but couldn't get any Audio.
Any Ideas?

#2 ·
I'd get a better center speaker. ( I know you don't think speakers are your problem, but I can disagree.)

Wanting a new center, you can experiment with pointing your existing center more directly toward the listening positions, or adding sound absorbent material near the center speaker to control first reflections.

#4 ·
I'll see if i can find a good center channel speaker that matches my system. Thanks For the info.

#5 ·
Some DVD audio tracks (e.g. DD; not sure about DTS) have dialog flags that will boost, or attenuate the dialog. My RX-V775 (and surely other similar Yamahas) have an option to turn up the dialog to counteract this.

But I concur with others, if dialog isn't intelligible, get a quality center speaker. The Center channel does more work than most other channels.

#6 ·
Before going out and buying a new center channel, I would suggest checking your current center speaker to make sure that all the drivers are working properly.

#9 ·
It sounds like the people are holding there hands over there mouths when they speak.

#10 ·
Just a suggestion.. :rolleyes:
Take 1 of ur surround satellites and connect to the center channel from the AVR..
Take a listen..
Does it sound any better?
a. YES, then this indicates a bad center channel speaker
b. NO, then the issue is either the AVR (internal) and/or setup

Just my $0.02... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.