AVS Forum banner

Overdue upgrade: my beloved preamp to current technology. Advice please!

364 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulG 
#1 · (Edited)
I love my home theater...it sounds terriffic! Unfortunately, my projector and preamp are both old and overdue for upgrade to more current technologies. My pre/pro is an Anthem AVM 20 v.2. It sounds spectacular, but does not pass HDMI and lacks much of the current crop of AV signal processing and DSP capabilities. My projector is an old Marantz DLP (VP12-S2). I have decided to replace the PJ later this year, so that is "forcing" me to look at preamps as part of the upgrade.

Objective:
Starting my hunt for a pre/pro that will suit my rig and sonic needs but won't break the bank since I'm going to bite off the PJ at the same time.

Room:
Dedicated HT with 2 rows of leather cinema seats. Row 2 on riser. Some acoustical treatments with front wall and ceiling painted black.

Video:
Projector: Marantz VP12-S2 DLP & 110" Stewart Firehawk.
DVD: Oppo Blue Ray player with wifi

Audio:
Anthem AVM-20 v.2 processor
Parasound 2x250w for main L and R
Parasound 5x220 for center, surrounds L, R, and rears L, R
Main speakers: Paradigm Studio 100 v.2(?)
Center: Paradigm Studio (model?)....the biggest in that line
Sides/Rears: Paradigm Studio ADP 570 dipoles
Subs: 2 SVS passive 12" down firing cylanders (I forget the model) powered by a 2ch. 350w pro amp (the one SVS sold at the time).

System Use:
85% movies (both DVD and streaming), 10% audio listening, 5% gaming (occasionally dragging the XBOX into the theater). 0% TV (cable boxes elsewhere, but not here...theater only).

Functionality:
Needs: a couple of A/V ins with HDMI out and 7.1 audio channels out. Currnet DSP offeings and flexible setup/calibration.
Preferences: 12v triggering and pass through preferred but not required. 4k future compatible. I put 4k as a "Preference" vs. a "Need" b/c while I'd like to be 4k capable in the future, I have decided with the PJ and this purchase that I'll be happy to spend less on the back side of the 1080p/HDMI life cycle curve than to spend more to be on the front side of the 4k curve. This is a firm tenent for my PJ search, so 4k becomes less relevant for the new processor. Whatever I buy (in video for sure) will be a big step forward from what I've now got.
Don't Need: Multi zones, more than 3-4 inputs and (I think) 4k.

Sound:
The current Anthem + Parasound + Paradigm Studio + SVS sound is amazing. Consistently blows guests away. Full, rich, BIG and dynamic. Front sound stage is very nice and full while surround FX move through the room. I want to keep these qualities with whatever replaces the Anthem, so it must pair well with the rest of my system.

Preamp Budget:
$1k to $2k
Budget footnotes:
a. I'm open to knowing what I'm missing >$2k.
b. I'm open to buying pre-owned (much of my gear is/was pre-owned by folks who were on their own upgrade paths).

Thanks in advance to anybody with suggestions as I start moving on this. Timing for PJ will be around October, so I've got a few months to vector in on the right processor.

See less See more
#8 ·
Try looking at the Yamaha Aventage CX-A 5000 Pre Pro...prices approaching your budget.

Reactions: philmike21
#10 ·
You are waiting on the projector, why not wait on the pre-pro too? The chips for 4K have not been out that long and I would probably wait and see what comes out for both items. I know Anthem announced an AVM60 will be coming out but no pricing or when it will be shipping yet. I am pretty sure there will be others too;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.