Need more 12v Triggers from Reciever - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Need more 12v Triggers from Reciever

Is there some sort of trigger expander? My receiver has 3 trigger out puts on it, the 3.5mm kind. I have 5 devices that I want to turn on when my receiver powers up. How would I go about that? Each of the 5 devices has a trigger input. The last thing I would like to power up is my pro amp for my sub. It looks like people are building relays to do this. I could do this but would need some instruction on how this is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Why not just buy a remote controlled power strip and plug everything, including your receiver, into it.
post #3 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Better than remote controlled, any of the power strips offering "master-slave" type outlets will do. The caveat being that some AVRs are not truly "off" when in standby, especially when using features like HDMI-passthrough or network standby.

I'm currently using one of THESE with my Yamaha AVR to power on amps and subs, woks fine as long as I don't use HDMI-passthrough on the Yamaha.
post #4 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
If you calculate the various amperage requirements of the input devices and the max amperage of the output ports, you may be able to use a "Y" on two of the outputs to trigger all five.

John

FS: Lumagen VIDEXT HDMI Cable Extender
Maybe FS: Sony BDP-CX7000ES (3)
FS: Quantum Data 780 Pattern Generator/Analyzer
post #5 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 10:48 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9753 Post(s)
Liked: 4537
Consider also the 12v trigger switch by Emotiva ....

https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/et-3

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #6 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 104
None of your trigger input devices have their own trigger output?
post #7 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Its never a good idea to "daisy-chain" trigger lines, and in some cases it can even damage the trigger circuit. Usually a device maker can tell you if it can be used that way.
The Emotiva switch is a decent alternative.
post #8 of 48 Old 07-10-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Most audio components that utilize a Trigger Out circuit have low current capability so they can only drive 1 or 2 components..
IMHO..
The best way to turn on multiple components is to utilize a smart AC outlet strip..
Here is a link to the 1 I am using..

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr.../dp/B0006PUDQK

Just my $0.02...
post #9 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Most audio components that utilize a Trigger Out circuit have low current capability so they can only drive 1 or 2 components..
IMHO..
The best way to turn on multiple components is to utilize a smart AC outlet strip..
Here is a link to the 1 I am using..

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Pr.../dp/B0006PUDQK

Just my $0.02...
Either I am confused or just misinformed, but power strips like this shut down the AC completely. When activated many microprocessor based components go into a boot up stage and in most cases followed by a standby mode. Never actually going to a functional state. How does this help turn on a system?

John

FS: Lumagen VIDEXT HDMI Cable Extender
Maybe FS: Sony BDP-CX7000ES (3)
FS: Quantum Data 780 Pattern Generator/Analyzer

Last edited by netroamer; 07-11-2015 at 08:31 AM.
post #10 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
Either I am confused or just misinformed, but power strips like this shut down the AC completely. When activated many components go into a boot up stage and in most cases followed by a standby mode. Never actually going to a functional state. How does this help turn on a system?
I always thought this too, I guess enough things (subs etc) aren't like that so the powerstrips are useful some of the time.

I used Y-splitters (soldering two bits of wire into one if you want the technical description) on 12V trigger outs many times, never any problems.
post #11 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 627
I bought this. Does it all. Sequencer. Powers up all your pieces in a sequenced order. Tripped by your trigger. Just plug in components, leave powered on and this will power all up and down.

http://www.furmancontractor.com/cn-2400s.php

trx250r87 likes this.

It's back!! Wine of the Week! Clos Martinet Tinto, Priorat DOCa, Spain ~$60. If you've not had a good Priorat, you've not truly tried Spain's smallest, yet most unique terroir.
My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon
post #12 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm using a Panamax 4320 pro to power on my amps. It takes the trigger from the pre/pro and then turns on the rest of the devices. I run my console and Blu ray off a different power conditioner
post #13 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Here is a list of various Furman power conditioners and sequencers from Sweetwater Sound (a place I have used a lot).

http://www.sweetwater.com/c960--Furm...r_Conditioners

I think for the OP the simplest solution is the little Emotiva ET-3 trigger repeater as jdsmoothie suggested above. I have used one for about seven years now without problems. It is not a sequencer, however. Emotiva is having a 10% off summer sale now (I think it is still on).

The trigger output is pretty low-power. Wiring several inputs in parallel is probably OK; one person used it to drive a relay and blew the trigger circuit in his Denon. be cautious.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #14 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have wired for 5 Emotiva amps, each with its own dedicated circuit to an equipment room subpanel. The adjacent a/v rack for the remainder of equipment is wired on its own 6th dedicated circuit. I have several Emotiva ET-3 trigger modules and plan to daisy chain them together from the projector. But, I don't want the surge of an estimated 30amp inrush all at once during start up. How or what can I do or buy to stagger/delay the start up among the amps and components?
post #15 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. Good options. The Furman I purchased (see above) is true 20 amp rated (as opposed to 15 amp).

It's back!! Wine of the Week! Clos Martinet Tinto, Priorat DOCa, Spain ~$60. If you've not had a good Priorat, you've not truly tried Spain's smallest, yet most unique terroir.
post #16 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by netroamer View Post
Either I am confused or just misinformed, but power strips like this shut down the AC completely. When activated many microprocessor based components go into a boot up stage and in most cases followed by a standby mode. Never actually going to a functional state. How does this help turn on a system?

Check the submitted link & respective product options..
Ther are 3 types of AC outlet.
a. Control component
b. POWER ON/OFF
c. POWER Always ON

One needs to determine what type of component for each, if the product needs a hard power ON/OFF use b, if they are coming ON from Stand-By mode use c. Keep in mind, this is assuming one is using a universal remote like Harmony/Logitech and the appropriate system macro power ON/OFF sequence has been programmed. Also the Harmony/Logitech has the capability for sequence and delay that may be required.

Just my $0.02...
post #17 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
I have wired for 5 Emotiva amps, each with its own dedicated circuit to an equipment room subpanel. The adjacent a/v rack for the remainder of equipment is wired on its own 6th dedicated circuit. I have several Emotiva ET-3 trigger modules and plan to daisy chain them together from the projector. But, I don't want the surge of an estimated 30amp inrush all at once during start up. How or what can I do or buy to stagger/delay the start up among the amps and components?
If you are a techie you can add a little RC delay circuit in-line to delay the signal to the trigger units, or to individual triggers. You could also add the circuit in the trigger boxes; I had planned to do that but turns out I am OK as-is. The problem with that is it may delay turn-on and turn-off; typically you want a delayed turn-on but want all the amps off immediately so they can bleed down a bit before the preamp shuts off. In the past I built a little circuit to do that and drive a set of power relays (homemade sequencer). When I last looked, a few years ago, I did not find a commercial trigger sequencer (seems like something I could make some money on, had I way more time than I have now!)

If you are not a techie, then the best option is probably one of the power sequencers referenced above. Sequencers in general range from basic units with fixed sequencing and delay for maybe $200 up to fully-programmable units (that can cost a couple of thousand dollars; nice, but...) I used a cascade of two sequencers (there was a trigger output so they could work together) for our church sound system (multiple sources, mixers, and amplifiers). I did not look closely at the various units Sweetwater stocks; hopefully one has trigger input, or you can just run everything off the sequencer. Most likely the only things you need to delay are the power amps, but you'll probably want to ensure the amps are off before the AVR so may have to put everything on one sequencer (or a series cascade). Most of them are first-on/last-off designs.

HTH - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #18 of 48 Old 07-11-2015, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Don, thanks for the information. Really useful. I hadn't really thought about the importance of a shutdown sequence before. I'd probably opt for a commercial product solution. Lot to think about.
post #19 of 48 Old 07-13-2015, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, great information everyone! I think the emotiva unit will probably work out great for me. Still not sure how I am going to switch on my one pro amp though. There is not a "trigger" on it. I want to run that amp on its own circuit I have for it as well. Does that Furman power own via a trigger?
post #20 of 48 Old 07-13-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel 48 View Post
Wow, great information everyone! I think the emotiva unit will probably work out great for me. Still not sure how I am going to switch on my one pro amp though. There is not a "trigger" on it. I want to run that amp on its own circuit I have for it as well. Does that Furman power own via a trigger?
Yes, I run 6 amplifiers... none that have triggers via the Furman Contractor piece. A trigger signal powers it up (in a sequence that is programmable) and powers down sequencing as well. All of my amplifiers are power ON. The Furman piece simply lets in power at the outlet.

This is a lower cost piece that does the same thing but less outlets. I use this piece to power on my Seaton subs (6). Powered on by Trigger to two outlets. It is also 20 AMPS - I believe the Emotiva and most all others are only 15 AMPs.

Also, the Furman Pieces have No Power Conditioning... That is a bonus for me.

Furman Contractor CN-20MP - http://www.furmancontractor.com/cn-20mp.php

post #21 of 48 Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The Emotiva ET-3 is a trigger repeater, not a sequencer, nor does it provide any AC outlets. One trigger input to generate three trigger outputs.

Diesel 48 -- The Furman unit "the bland" is using would be fine IMO; I'll second his advice. Furman and several other companies make units with a wide range of features and options. Or you can use one of the commercial power strips that have a trigger input available from Amazon etc. Lots of options, probably too many...

post #22 of 48 Old 07-13-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

I do not think there is a reason for a sequencer, I want all of my amps and DSP's to turn on when my receiver starts up. They have trigger inputs on them. The pro amp does not have any sort of trigger. I will need the small furman unit listed above to turn that on. All of my other components are already starting up with my remote and IR repeater.
post #23 of 48 Old 07-13-2015, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, in your first post you stated that you wanted to turn the power amp on last, thus sequencers were discussed. Also, Jim S. piggy-backed on your thread with a similar question, and he does want a sequencer IIRC.

Sorry for the diversion - Don

post #24 of 48 Old 07-14-2015, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

No worries! I guess when I said last I meant the last piece of equipment that I want to power up is the pro amp. I used last as in a list of products not order. Sorry for the confusion!
post #25 of 48 Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Yes, I run 6 amplifiers... none that have triggers via the Furman Contractor piece. A trigger signal powers it up (in a sequence that is programmable) and powers down sequencing as well. All of my amplifiers are power ON. The Furman piece simply lets in power at the outlet.

This is a lower cost piece that does the same thing but less outlets. I use this piece to power on my Seaton subs (6). Powered on by Trigger to two outlets. It is also 20 AMPS - I believe the Emotiva and most all others are only 15 AMPs.

Also, the Furman Pieces have No Power Conditioning... That is a bonus for me.

Furman Contractor CN-20MP - http://www.furmancontractor.com/cn-20mp.php

How are you wiring this to a 12v trigger from your receiver? I do not see a 3.5mm port on this box.
post #26 of 48 Old 07-22-2015, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Adapter to the Phoenix connectors on the box.

post #27 of 48 Old 07-22-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep. But a trigger cable and cut off the one tip and connect. Easy.

post #28 of 48 Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Panamax offers AV surge protectors that combine AC outlets that are always on and separate outlets to power on/off high-power amplifiers via a standard AVR or preamp trigger. I use two such units for convenience and AC surge protection (the latter is a necessity here in lightning-prone central Florida).

Theater room: Panasonic TC-P65S60 plasma television; Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer; Sony BDP-S6500 Blu-ray player.
Music room: McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Audible Illusions (tube) preamp, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 amplifier, Acoustic Research AR9 and Dahlquist Prelude loudspeakers, Onkyo DX-7555 and Melos (tube) CD players, Phase Linear 8000II turntable.
post #29 of 48 Old 07-23-2015, 04:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Panamax offers AV surge protectors that combine AC outlets that are always on and separate outlets to power on/off high-power amplifiers via a standard AVR or preamp trigger. I use two such units for convenience and AC surge protection (the latter is a necessity here in lightning-prone central Florida).
There are many trigger activated power bars. Most have power conditioning (I prefer no power conditioning) yet all are 15 amp max (e.g. The Panamax and others mentioned here).

If 15 amp will do it, then you save some money. But if you're running multiple high power amps, the Furman Contractor power bars I pictured above are the only options I could find at a somewhat reasonable price. I looked for a couple months until I found a 20 amp, trigger activated model (that staggers power up and power down).

post #30 of 48 Old 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed, and most house outlets are only rated to 15 A anyway, but note one poster on this thread has five amplifiers. In-rush current may be an issue if they are all flipped on at once even if the normal current demand is well below the 15-A limit. I have had that problem in the past and it led to my homebrew sequencer; the commercial solutions look prettier and are UL rated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page