HDMI Out On Receiver Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaddie
post #1 of 21 Unread 07-11-2015, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 34
HDMI Out On Receiver Question

Anyway to make a one HMDI out on my Onkyo to two HDMI out on receiver? I tried a HDMI splitter but it did not work. I'm trying to connect both my TV and Projector. Anyway I can do it cheaply? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Unread 07-11-2015, 09:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4757 Post(s)
Liked: 2485
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post
Anyway to make a one HMDI out on my Onkyo to two HDMI out on receiver? I tried a HDMI splitter but it did not work. I'm trying to connect both my TV and Projector. Anyway I can do it cheaply? Thanks.
An HDMI splitter should work just fine as long as the TV and PJ have the same resolution and HDMI cert.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective? Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times.
post #3 of 21 Unread 07-13-2015, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks JD The TV is 1080 and the PJ is 720 I guess that's why it won't work, darn. I did try the TV alone on the splitter and it didn't work either.

post #4 of 21 Unread 07-13-2015, 08:09 AM
585-645-1006

It should still work ... rather only 720p video would be passed to either PJ or TV. Try another splitter. Check forum sponsor Monoprice.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
post #5 of 21 Unread 07-13-2015, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

I have 2 splitters and neither worked on my Onkyo. I have the monoprice HDS-201 and a HDMI ST01. HDMI cable plugged in HDMI out on the Onkyo and out on both separately on the HDS-201 and HDMI ST01 and no dice.

post #6 of 21 Unread 07-13-2015, 10:25 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
I have 2 splitters and neither worked on my Onkyo. I have the monoprice HDS-201 and a HDMI ST01. HDMI cable plugged in HDMI out on the Onkyo and out on both separately on the HDS-201 and HDMI ST01 and no dice.
Does the splitter work when just one display is connected? Have you called Monoprice?

------------------
Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #7 of 21 Unread 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Does the splitter work when just one display is connected? Have you called Monoprice?
I think it's just an Onkyo thing. Maybe a restriction thing with them. The Monoprice and the other one work fine in other applications.

post #8 of 21 Unread 07-13-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Put this matrix splitter between receiver and tv/projector.The stereo brand won't matter.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #9 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Put this matrix splitter between receiver and tv/projector.The stereo brand won't matter.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
Thanks Kik I think I'll stick to just unpugging it. I only use the PJ on the weekend anyway so...

post #10 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Your Monoprice splitter is defective. It's not an "Onkyo thing". With a properly working splitter, EDID handshaking will cause the HDMI source to pick the highest resolution and format both displays can use, which should be 720p in your case. EDID handling is what separates HDMI splitters from HDMI junk.

However, I've found many Monoprice HDMI products are junk. If they work, they die an early death. I find this odd since the chipsets used for HDMI-anything are made by only a very short list of manufacturers, so it's apparently about the design execution.

I've moved on. I'll use some Monoprice HDMI cables, but the ones I need are usually out of stock anyway. I steer clear of their splitters and switchers.

I now use Wyrestorm and Knoll Systems products. Yes, you pay up, but they work, and stay that way. Keeps customer service calls down, and my sanity up.
afterlife2 likes this.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." -- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.
post #11 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
OP... your description "doesn't work" does really provide much information. What is the display (TV / projector) indicating? What does the receiver indicate on its display. Some issues might be that you have select a display option "upscaling" or otherwise that isn't "compatible" with the setup. More information might help the forum help you.

What models of receiver, projector, and tv?

What "initialization" sequences have you tried especially important after you have "interrupted" the hdmi signal path.
post #12 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post
OP... your description "doesn't work" does really provide much information. What is the display (TV / projector) indicating? What does the receiver indicate on its display. Some issues might be that you have select a display option "upscaling" or otherwise that isn't "compatible" with the setup. More information might help the forum help you.

What models of receiver, projector, and tv?

What "initialization" sequences have you tried especially important after you have "interrupted" the hdmi signal path.
Thanks.
Onkyo TX-NR 708, Acer 5380 and Samsung 51inch F5300

I used both splitters separately. I turn off the Onkyo before I make the connection. I used the out on the Monoprice HDMI switcher and into the Onkyo out then in for the Samsung and Acer. Same with the other splitter. Am I doing it right or is there something I'm missing?

post #13 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you are a "little confused" about how this works.... or maybe I misunderstand. The signal for your sources comes OUT of the onkyo's single "OUT" hdmi. It goes IN to the switcher/ splitter on the hdmi INPUTS. The signal then goes OUT of the splitter / switch to the hdmi "INPUTS" on the projector and TV. That's why you are using a splitter / switch... to connect more than one display to your ONE hdmi OUTPUT on your onkyo. At least, that my read. I think you will find there is nothing wrong with any of equipment. You just have them hooked up wrong.
post #14 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post
I think you are a "little confused" about how this works.... or maybe I misunderstand. The signal for your sources comes OUT of the onkyo's single "OUT" hdmi. It goes IN to the switcher/ splitter on the hdmi INPUTS. The signal then goes OUT of the splitter / switch to the hdmi "INPUTS" on the projector and TV. That's why you are using a splitter / switch... to connect more than one display to your ONE hdmi OUTPUT on your onkyo. At least, that my read. I think you will find there is nothing wrong with any of equipment. You just have them hooked up wrong.
This is the setup:

post #15 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

although some "switchers /splitters" are reversible, I suspect this one is NOT although I don't know that for sure. Best test, plug your onkyo (output) in to one of the inputs and then either your tv or projector to the "Out" and see if it works... it should. In this particular box's case, it is likely a "switch" for switching between two inputs to a common display.
post #16 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ok I'll give it a try. Should I set the onkyo settings to anything to make it work better?

post #17 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 483
So your HDMI switcher has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output? No wonder it doesn't work.

If you're trying to connect a TV and Projector you need a matrix switch with two HDMI outputs. You have the wrong device.

You're Onkyo receiver connects to one of the HDMI inputs on the switch and then your TV and Projector connect to the HDMI outputs on the switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monoprice HDMI Switch.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	833098  

Afro GT
post #18 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
So your HDMI switcher has 2 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output? No wonder it doesn't work.

If you're trying to connect a TV and Projector you need a matrix switch with two HDMI outputs. You have the wrong device.

You're Onkyo receiver connects to one of the HDMI inputs on the switch and then your TV and Projector connect to the HDMI outputs on the switch.
lol I just found that out. budwich thanks for the help. Darn I'm just gonna unplug on the weekend. Thanks all for the help. Money is tight so...

post #19 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
lol I just found that out. budwich thanks for the help. Darn I'm just gonna unplug on the weekend. Thanks all for the help. Money is tight so...
Got this cheap enough. Will report back once it's here in 2 weeks or so: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x2-Port-HDM...item20fd7e841b
Thanks again for the help guys.

post #20 of 21 Unread 07-16-2015, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Got this cheap enough. Will report back once it's here in 2 weeks or so: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1x2-Port-HDM...item20fd7e841b
Thanks again for the help guys.
Should work better than the 2 in 1 out. That's why I like the 2x2 matrix switcher.
It works either direction and displays don't have to be mirrored. More than $7 though.
post #21 of 21 Unread Today, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hooked it up today and it works so far. Thing is tiny too. Thanks Fellas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors