UPDATED ON MARCH 21, 2017
Please scroll down to "Update on the cause of the UE22 Error" and Onkyo/Pioneers New Program
I’m starting this thread to document and track the UE22 error that is occurring on affected 2011/2012 Pioneer and Pioneer Elite Receivers.
It is hoped that by bringing it to the attention of Onkyo/Pioneer Electronics that they will be committed to quality and customer service by addressing this issue in a timely and fair manner for affected owners.
This thread is not meant to trash Onkyo/Pioneer or be sarcastic which may take away from finding a solution to the problem. Instead it is hoped that affected users and knowledgeable people can bring a better understanding to what is going on with this error code and possible causes and solutions. In other words please be civilized and respectful in your choice of words…(Please read AVS forum rules for more information)
Background Information about the problem:
Affected users have reported that when this problem occurs it does not happen suddenly but over a period of months before eventually the receiver completely fails and will not work. Reports of users getting the error code multiple times and then having to reset the receiver by applying the factory reset or unplugging the power and eventually months later the receiver produces no sound and simple knob and button commands does not respond. Also, the UE22 error usually happens at the worst time…just after your warranty has expired according to many owners comments on the internet. Just Google UE22 error and you will see all the comments and frustration of affected owners. I got tired of reading the posts of the many owners who spent good money on their Pioneer receivers only to walk away and move on from Pioneer because they got burned with this issue when they could not afford the out of pocket repair costs because the warranty had just expired.
For owners impacted with this issue while under Pioneer warranty, they have been fortunate and had their DIGITAL MAIN ASSY board (or main digital board) replaced free of charge and they received their receiver back with no more problems. However, the problem with this is that its the most expensive part of the internal boards ($400-$500 plus labor) and when you have to pay out of pocket it becomes hard to absorb that kind of a cost. It is hoped that Onkyo/Pioneer will find a fix for owners by isolating this issue to a specific defective chip and help affected owners by having that chip replaced instead of replacing the most expensive board from the internal electronics. This would be the most logical fix and cost effective approach to dealing with this problem for Onkyo/Pioneer.
Forum members posting criteria:
Please state the following:
- Pioneer receiver model/number
- Build date (MFD: month & year),
- Purchase date
- UE22 Error display date
- Receiver positioning/placement statement
- Indicate if your Pioneer receiver saw low, medium, or high usage in your set up
- Description of your experience with the UE22 error and the events that led up to your Pioneer receiver eventually failing.
You may also have some insider or technical knowledge that can shed light on the UE22 error and that would be most welcome.
This thread will be updated as the information comes in and will be compiled to better understand the problem and find possible solutions.
Hopefully someone senior at Onkyo/Pioneer will see this thread and respond in an appropriate manner for their fan and customer base.
Update on the cause of the UE22 Error
After researching, analyzing, and hypothesizing the cause of the UE22 Error and through a diligent community effort here on AVSForum the cause of UE22 Error has been found. It has been isolated to defective Texas Instruments DSP chips that globally affected Pioneer and Pioneer Elite receivers made in 2011/2012. See post# 100 and 848 in this thread for the background that identified the cause of UE22 Error. See post# 16 where the defective DSP chips are located.
Onkyo/Pioneer in the United States and Canada has a new program in place to help Pioneer and Pioneer Elite affected receiver owners by offering a discounted refurbished Pioneer receiver (USA only)
or have Onkyo/Pioneer replace the main digital board with updated Texas Instruments DSP chips that does not have the defective TI chip set (USA and Canada)
. Pioneer UK/Europe/Asia position on helping affected owners is unclear at the moment.
Thanks to AVSForum member zone33 for posting a step by step repair procedure on how your claim will be handled. See below:
Onkyo/Pioneers New Program
Step by step repair
Hi everyone I just wanna give a few tips on how to make sure your effected receiver gets set up for a repair or replacement through onkyo/pioneer.
- This isn't technicaly necessary but is a useful start. Go to onkyousa.com. Click the support button. On the page that comes up next click "Email Us" on the left side of the page. Fill out the information and mention your UE22 problem and that you heard there is a program to resolve it and would like more information. I got a response within 2 days. You will be told about the program and to send the photos to pioneer/onkyo parts department email (receipt, UE22 pic, Serial # pic) . The useful part about step 1 is the replier is a technical specialist and his name is provided at the bottom which we'll use as a reference when sending photos to pioneer parts dept.
- Make an email. Headline the email with your name and Model number. Parts department email is (( parts @ us . onkyo . com )). Mention your technical specialist's name and explain you have the UE22 error which you are trying to get repaired. Info required in this email are photos of purchase proof from an authorized dealer, photo of the receiver showing ue22 and a photo of your serial number on the back. 3 photos. Also need to provide phone number and home address. No receipt? If you purchased from store or card where you can pull up purchase history and screen shot that, it will be usable determined by parts dept. Review and send email.
- After the 3rd day of no reply I called the pioneer/onkyo parts department. You may want to expedite by calling sooner. Expect to wait 10-15 min to answer. Business hours are 9:00 am - 5:00 pm weekdays. The number is 1-201-785-2399 . Tell them you are waiting on a response to email. They will search by your name you put in the headline. They will put you on a short hold while they review the email. You will be given the verdict. If all is clear you will be given the option of a free repair (USA & Canada)
or 2 choices to buy at discounted price trade (USA only)
. You choose right then. After chosen you will be given a return number to track and file.
- get the return box and follow directions. You will have a working receiver within the next 3 weeks and you will feel like companies actually care about their customers still. good luck!
- Enjoy sound.