Sony STR-DH740 Protection shut down - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2015, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Sony STR-DH740 Protection shut down

So I've had this Sony STR-DH740 receiver for about half a year now. Worked great during that time, and I cranked it pretty high (routinely getting in the 40s and 50s in volume level.) I never actually mounted my back speakers in my 5.1 Surround system, so I never bothered to calibrate my system yet. I finally mounted the speakers and decided to auto-calibrate the system last night. I tested it after but it was pretty late so I don't think I listened to it that loud.

Today I had a movie night and decided to test out how much better the speakers sounded when played loud. For some reason the Sony would not let the volume get too high and would shut down and "Protection" would show up on the receiver screen. As I said before this never happened before I mounted and calibrated my speakers, and I've played it at much higher volumes for much longer.

I looked up how to reset my receiver to factory defaults and did so, which helped, but it would still shut down if I got over 35 on the volume. I managed to watch for 3 hours keeping the volume under 30, but I'm nervous to listen any higher. This has never happened before and am wondering what would cause this? I have the Andrew Jones 5.1 Pioneer Surround Sound system, and I use a BenQ HT1075 projector if that matters.

Also, this happens with the receiver plugged into a surge protector or the wall outlet. Anyone able to help with this? I'm finding no fixes online.
godzillinois is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-15-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RayDunzl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: near Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Does it get hot?

I don't see very much mass in the heatsinks, the area isn't too bad if there's some airflow to evacuate the heat.


I'll be back later...


System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot

Last edited by RayDunzl; 07-15-2015 at 11:09 PM.
RayDunzl is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It didn't feel hot, it never really does. When I got up super close to the vents it did 'smell hot' but nothing too alarming, and I'm not sure if it always smelled like that or not since I don't really ever get that close and sniff my receiver
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I did keep a Sony Bluray player on top of it and it covered about 25% or less of the vents, would that have perhaps caused a problem over time that is just now coincidentally happening after I calibrated it?
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RayDunzl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: near Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Calibration adjusts power levels at different frequencies, so, maybe related. More power output creates more heat in the power transistors.

Restricted ventilation is not the best practice.

The Heat Sink (finned aluminum thing) takes heat from the individual output transistors (which can create a considerable amount of heat) and (1) conducts it away from the transistors and stores it in the sink, then (2) loses that heat to the air.

Small mass sink has less storage ability, restricted ventilation doesn't let the sink lose the heat it has stored, and if the device has a thermal shutdown, it can be triggered.

---

Put the player someplace else, or elevate it a couple of inches. As a test, aim a fan at the receiver and play at a level that would trigger the shutdown. See what happens.

---

The second thing Sony mentions is speaker impedance and speaker wire shorts.

---

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...5,66/related/1

---

AVR power sections seem designed to a minimum:

Sony STR-DH1040



As opposed to a 'proper' power amp:



Heat sinks - about 3 times the total area, and much more thermal mass - ability to absorb momentary temperature peaks

I'll be back later...


System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
RayDunzl is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 10,794
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
So I've had this Sony STR-DH740 receiver for about half a year now. Worked great during that time, and I cranked it pretty high (routinely getting in the 40s and 50s in volume level.) I never actually mounted my back speakers in my 5.1 Surround system, so I never bothered to calibrate my system yet. I finally mounted the speakers and decided to auto-calibrate the system last night. I tested it after but it was pretty late so I don't think I listened to it that loud.

Today I had a movie night and decided to test out how much better the speakers sounded when played loud. For some reason the Sony would not let the volume get too high and would shut down and "Protection" would show up on the receiver screen. As I said before this never happened before I mounted and calibrated my speakers, and I've played it at much higher volumes for much longer.

I looked up how to reset my receiver to factory defaults and did so, which helped, but it would still shut down if I got over 35 on the volume. I managed to watch for 3 hours keeping the volume under 30, but I'm nervous to listen any higher. This has never happened before and am wondering what would cause this? I have the Andrew Jones 5.1 Pioneer Surround Sound system, and I use a BenQ HT1075 projector if that matters.

Also, this happens with the receiver plugged into a surge protector or the wall outlet. Anyone able to help with this? I'm finding no fixes online.

Those loudspeakers are 6 Ohms and low sensitivity (<87dB)...
The Sony AVR doesn't have enough current/power to push those @ higher volume levels..
Also 8" subwoofer has limited power and significantly bass energy than a 10" or 12".
A couple of suggestions.

1. Remove any restriction for the top cover for the best air flow
2. Set the bass/treble controls at neutral position
3. Set all loudspeakers to Small
4. Install small blower fan over the AVRs' heat sink area
5. Turn it down..

If it still shuts down U better upgrade the AVR..

Just my $0.02....
M Code is online now  
Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Those loudspeakers are 6 Ohms and low sensitivity (<87dB)...
The Sony AVR doesn't have enough current/power to push those @ higher volume levels..
Also 8" subwoofer has limited power and significantly bass energy than a 10" or 12".
A couple of suggestions.

1. Remove any restriction for the top cover for the best air flow
2. Set the bass/treble controls at neutral position
3. Set all loudspeakers to Small
4. Install small blower fan over the AVRs' heat sink area
5. Turn it down..

If it still shuts down U better upgrade the AVR..

Just my $0.02....

Thanks guys! If I try all those suggestions and still get a shut down, can you guys recommend a better power received in the $200-$300 price range?

This is really strange considering that I've played this system at much higher volumes before without this problem
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RayDunzl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: near Tampa, Florida
Posts: 3,263
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
I have no AVR recommendations, and have no AVR.

I'll be back later...


System links::: 1.5RQ > digits from all sources > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
RayDunzl is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
you know I just realized, the other thing that was different before this all started happening was that I finally painted the entertainment stand the receiver sits on. Its just a simple long stand, and I'm wondering if somehow the acrylic-based paint is reflecting the heat back into the receiver more than the bare wood? Or maybe I'm thinking too deep into this?
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 3,024
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Running the setup routine probably turned off the crossover. Go into the setup menu and find the
manual speaker setings. Make sure all speakers are set to small or high pass with crossover engaged.
Then set that number to about 100hz. That will send the bass tones to the subwoofer. This alone will
take 75% of the load off the internal amps. Smaller, less efficient speakers need more power than bigger,
louder models. Make sure no speaker is set to large or full pass. Quit staring at paint drying and report
back receiver crossover settings.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 07-17-2015 at 06:35 PM.
kikkenit2 is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I took kikkenit2's advice and started messing with the crossover frequency settings. I went with his 100Hz suggestion which helped, but the problem persisted. I researched the frequency range of each speaker and changed them accordingly, which helped more but the shut downs still happened. Then I started thinking what else was different from when before this all started happening.

I realized that the back surround speakers were disconnected and reconnected in order to mount them. So I unmounted them and tightened the connections, and I don't want to speak too soon but it seemed to have worked! Could one loose connection on one of the speakers have caused the Receiver Protection to kick in and shut down the unit?
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 3,024
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
I realized that the back surround speakers were disconnected and reconnected in order to mount them. So I unmounted them and tightened the connections, and I don't want to speak too soon but it seemed to have worked! Could one loose connection on one of the speakers have caused the Receiver Protection to kick in and shut down the unit?
Yes a minor short of speaker wires will work fine until volume is cranked and then finally send receiver
into protection. Check both ends of each wire. It doesn't take much. I should have mentioned that too.
I looked up the pioneer speakers before I suggested a crossover level. I found an actual test and went by that.
What did you end up setting them at? Here is the review. Based on figure 3 and the fact that you have your
power back as low as 80hz might be ok. I went higher to stress the amps less.
kikkenit2 is online now  
Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Yes a minor short of speaker wires will work fine until volume is cranked and then finally send receiver
into protection. Check both ends of each wire. It doesn't take much. I should have mentioned that too.
I looked up the pioneer speakers before I suggested a crossover level. I found an actual test and went by that.
What did you end up setting them at? Here is the review. Based on figure 3 and the fact that you have your
power back as low as 80hz might be ok. I went higher to stress the amps less.
I did 50HZz for the front speakers, 60Hz for the Center and 60Hz for the back surrounds. Is that ok or should I bump them all to 80 or try the auto-calibration now that we figured it that it was probably the loose connection?
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kikkenit2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach
Posts: 3,024
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
I did 50HZz for the front speakers, 60Hz for the Center and 60Hz for the back surrounds. Is that ok or should I bump them all to 80 or try the auto-calibration now that we figured it that it was probably the loose connection?
That is too low. Set it higher than the elbow where frequencies start falling fast. Better to go up one notch,
but go too high and the separation and imaging suffer. Go ahead and rerun setup if you want, but go into
manual speaker settings and set all to small or high pass with 80hz or 90hz x/o on all five.
kikkenit2 is online now  
Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
That is too low. Set it higher than the elbow where frequencies start falling fast. Better to go up one notch,
but go too high and the separation and imaging suffer. Go ahead and rerun setup if you want, but go into
manual speaker settings and set all to small or high pass with 80hz or 90hz x/o on all five.
Sounds good, thanks again kikkenit2 and thanks to everyone else that helped too!
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Newbie
 
slong115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have this same receiver and it would get quite hot when my wife and her girlfriends were cranking their dance music whenever they would have their girl parties. It never shut down like your did but the top of the case felt much hotter to me than I though that is should. I was running two Polk Monitor 70's in the front with Monitor 60's for the surrounds with a Polk center channel and subwoofer.

I did two things to help alleviate the heat issue. First, for her dance parties, I set it to run in 2.1 mode instead of 5.1. Then I bought a very cheap laptop cooling pad with a USB powered fans for about $10. Put the laptop cooler on top of the Sony with the fans blowing upwards and really had a dramatic effect on the case getting hot. I suspect that the fan also helped to cool the heat sinks but I never opened it to find out. I moved this amp to another location where it doesn't get played loud so I don't have the laptop cooler in use for it anymore but I think it was a good, simple solution at the time.
slong115 is offline  
Old 07-23-2015, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
yeah after this whole mess started happening I was thinking about installing some cooling fans. Right now my equipment is just sitting on a simple shelf on the floor since I don't have much clearance under my projection screen, but I may just have to make a small cabinet for everything and put some cooling fans where the receiver is.
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-23-2015, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slong115 View Post
... I set it to run in 2.1 mode instead of 5.1.
That's a good tip for playing music!
godzillinois is offline  
Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Newbie
 
slong115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
That's a good tip for playing music!
Yeah, I figured eliminating the surround speakers and the power required to drive them when my wife was only listening to music would probably help the amp use less power and run cooler. It seemed to work but then she stopped having her girlfriends over for dance parties shortly after I made the change so I am not 100% sure how effective it was. I am using that receiver to run just a single pair of Polk Monitor 60's (no subwoofer) on my upstairs TV now and even without the laptop cooler, it doesn't get hot at the levels I play it.
slong115 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
taboola here
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off