Need help choosing preamp processor - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old Today, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help choosing preamp processor

I have an outdoor theater setup consisting of 16' x 9' screen and am using PA gear for the audio.

I have the following components in a 5.1 configuration:

Yamaha RX-V765
3 JBL 515 powered speakers (L,C,R)
1400 watt Ramsa Power amp
Cerwin Vega 18" folded horn (sub)
100 watt Alesis Power Amp
2 MTX all weather 8" (rears)

Over the last few years I have been having issues with the HDMI boards on my Yamaha and have decided to upgrade.

Being I already have amplifiers for all my speakers I have been looking at pre/pro units. Being I can only really use my outdoor theater for 4-5 months out of the year I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money.

I am probably looking at purchasing something used that is in the 700 dollar range. While I would like something that has the balanced outputs it looks like they might be out of my price range. I am currently running everything unbalanced without issue so maybe it's not that big of deal.

I've been watching Emotiva umc-1's and umc-200's on ebay but I'm not sure what the better choice for me is. I really only use 1 HDMI input (HTPC) so hdmi switching speed is not an issue for me. I'm not really sure the 200 would be any better for what I'll be using it for. I see the umc-1 has it's own processor and I'm not sure if that would do me any good or not. I usually run everything with passthrough. I also don't do room correction not so I ever use EQ settings so none of that really matters to me in this case.

With that said any advice would be great.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by waverz; Today at 10:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Today, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Xlr out is rare and expensive in consumer receivers. There isn't the demand for quick setup
and long runs like pro setups. For bug free, long term reliability stay with last years similar
yamaha v777 for under $550 new. Full rca preouts should work same as last setup. The
biggest problems in recent product is the hdmi board and yamaha rates best there.
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to try a Emotiva UMC-1. The price was right on it and comes with a warranty.

I'm hesitant about going with another Yamaha. I'm on my 3rd HDMI board and finding them on ebay is getting harder and harder.

I just can't see buying another AVR if I'm not needing the amplifier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors