The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha 1050/2050/3050 Owner's thread. - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8325Likes

post #5521 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
I'm sure this was a typo as the correct statement is DD+ can't be passed through optical.
Sure was. Corrected. Thanks

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Yeah. I think that wiki needs a proper update.

I don't think that is accurate.
Could be. Ive never tried it.
post #5523 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 361
From Dolby's site, "Dolby Digital Plus soundtracks are easily converted to a 640 kbps Dolby Digital signal without decoding and reencoding, for output via S/PDIF."

So yeah even though technically DD+ tracks can still be played even if you don't have a DD+ capable receiver via optical, it will be represented as DD which is not Atmos compatible.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2 Bed), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4 Monitor Series II, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1-Klipsch RW12D, Sub 2-MTX SW2
Projector-Optoma HD33 DLP 3D, Screen-Da-Lite 100" Model B, TV-Insignia 65" LCD 1080p (NS-65D550NA15)

post #5524 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I've been a bit glum after realizing I would not be able to enjoy Atmos via my smart tv apps. Until now, I've not paid any attention to the Roku conversations since I had these apps built in on my not-as-smart-as-I-thought-it-was TV. From what I've read today, it looks like my Xbox One can't deliver 4k, but may be able to pass the Atmos audio. It seems like I need a device-->A1050-->TV setup. What is the most common solution the folks are using to deliver online 4K w/Atmos (Vudu, etc.) content and similar?
post #5525 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Damnit!

That's like... my thing, man.

Is it DTS o' clock, yet?
The time is nigh!!... MAYBE!!
post #5526 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddave70 View Post
I've been a bit glum after realizing I would not be able to enjoy Atmos via my smart tv apps. Until now, I've not paid any attention to the Roku conversations since I had these apps built in on my not-as-smart-as-I-thought-it-was TV. From what I've read today, it looks like my Xbox One can't deliver 4k, but may be able to pass the Atmos audio. It seems like I need a device-->A1050-->TV setup. What is the most common solution the folks are using to deliver online 4K w/Atmos (Vudu, etc.) content and similar?
I'm using a Roku 4, though I haven't done much vis-a-vis Atmos with it (been watching Atmos Blu-rays instead).

Bob
1) JVC DLA-X750, Yamaha CX-A5100, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, Oppo UDP-203, Roku 4, Sony HAP-Z1ES
2) Sony XBR-75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3070, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra, Sony HAP-Z1ES
3) Sharp LC-70UH30U, Yamaha RX-A2050, Oppo BDP-103, Roku 4
post #5527 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 142
This is why I stick with physical media,(blue rays @dvd s) streaming and apps are just too much agravating for me,I have DSL internet so maybe that's the problem,I live in the middle of nowhere so I'm lucky to have the internet I have.
post #5528 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
A BD/UHD player with apps that can pass the DD+ signal from (some) online sources. As I prefer to source these apps from my TV (much simpler interface), I've resigned to the fact that if I want immersive audio, it will have to be via disk. The good/bad news is: there aren't that many titles (yet) with immersive audio, so I can live with DD/DTS for rental (I rent mostly DVDs, not BDs). Audio is a big piece of the equation for me, but the fact is only action titles really benefit from high rez audio, and my purchases will move from BD to UHD (which may eventually become the only way to get immersive audio).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #5529 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am very happy when watching a Dolby Atmos BD.
But on the contrary, I don't really hear a big difference in audio when watching an old legacy DVD and/or BD with Dolby upmixing.

All I hope is that; the upmixing of DTS:X with the old legacy DVDs and BDs would be great...
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #5530 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
please someone help me out here guys ;o]]

I have decided to get a TV for my bedroom area and a pair of small speakers for the tv (and music there) and since the HDMI board in my Onkyo TX-SR707 has died recently I am on a lookout for a new AV receiver

I want to buy two new 4K TVs and was looking at Yamaha AVENTAGE receivers since it is one of few receivers that have 4K@60fps 4:4:4 pass-through since I've read that 4/2/0 is not good for PC output which is what I will want to use and my monitor is 3440x1440 so I want 4K TVs to be able to output full res and have some future proofing since I don't buy new equipment that often, I know there is practically no 4K content available now and all the current movies are just 1080p anyways

I am really getting confused from the manual and information on the Yamaha product pages if the RX-A2050 I am considering can do what I want it to do, especially the from the multi-zone standpoint as that is one of the reasons I have chosen Yamaha (for example the Sony STR-DN1060 I was considering before cannot output digital inputs to other zones, so I went to Yamaha which can do that)

I started with A850 but found out it cannot output hdmi to Zone2 so I upped it to A1050 which should work for my current place setup which would be "living room tv + main speakers" and "bedroom tv + secondary speakers" but I really liked the idea of having more then 2 zones with party mode for a new flat I am moving into in one year where I would love to have outdoor speakers in the patio and pool area so the A2050 with 4 zones and party mode seemed really tempting until I dug in the manual to figure out if it will really work how I imagined it

setup I want to have (please don't turn it into "get another tv set/get another speakers" discussion, this is just about the receiver capabilities) :

In my living room area:
RX-A2050 + 60" LG 60UF851V + Dynavoice Definition DF-6 (I wanted to buy these few years ago but in the end I got used Canton Ergo 900DC quite cheap and in great condition but never really felt in love with them so I want to try something else)

In my bedroom area:
49" LG 49UF8517 + Dynavoice Definition DX-5 (closed cabinet effect speakers that will fit a tv stand I bought and are from the Dynavoice Definition lineup so they will go well with the DF-6 mains when I move to a new flat and can use them together there as a surround set)

also later in the new flat I will want 2 more pairs of speakers, one for patio and one for pool area (something like Yamaha NS-AW390 or Dayton Audio IO655W if I can get hold of them)

the problem is I cannot figure out how to connect everything when looking at the connectors and input/output possibilities in the manual

the comparison tool on yamaha page says I can output HDMI video only to Zone2 and Zone4 and the powered zones are only Zone2 and Zone3 so since I want to have the DX-5 speakers for my bedroom TV I need to have that set to Zone2 to have both HDMI video and power for the speakers

so then I am only left with zone3 which is powered, but won't play HDMI (so no party zone for Zone3 when playing music from my pc that will be hooked to AVR via HDMI and then the Zone4 which I won't be able to use at all since the only way of outputting Zone4 is via HDMI OUT 2 and that will already be used for my bedroom TV as Zone2

so to me it seems I will only be able to use two zones out of the 4 if I understand the limitations correctly
that is a huge disappointment for me and kinda denies why I wanted to get A-2050 instead of A-1050

also it sucks that for the unpowered Zone4 I have to use analog pre-out instead of having optical out that I could connect to optical in on external stereo amp
and it sucks that while having 11.2 receiver I cannot for example use the surround back that I won't be using as a power for Zone4 ;o[[
this is not the intelligent zone management I was expecting from the PR videos

seems to me yamaha did not think it through very well as these limitations kinda make the A3050/A2050 no better then the A1050 when it comes to useable zones (at least for party mode that is)

but maybe I am missing something and got it all wrong, would really appreciate an advice from the more knowledgeable guys here
if I am right and I am screwed here is there a better receiver that would offer me better options? not that I could stretch my budget much more, this receiver is already kinda expensive for me and if it cannot do what I want I might as well stick with A-1050 and save some cash and hope they will come up with a better unit in the next 2 years (I kinda doubt these limitations could be removed by future FW updates)

what I definitely want is 4K@60fps 4:4:4 pass-through and HDMI with arc output to Zone2 so I can play in bedroom content both from pc and have sound from tv audio return channeled to the speakers there when using tv source

hope someone reads this long post and give me some advice, lol ;o]

Pioneer SC-LX-59 (aka Elite 95) + Philips 49PUS6501 + Dynavoice DF6 (bi-amped) + Dynavoice DM6 in HDZone
PC: Pre-Sonus Sceptre S8 on Isoacoustics or Sennheiser 558 (598 mod) and 12AU7 tube amp with Telefunken Long 17mm smooth plate
OLD: Onkyo TX-SR707 (EU version) + Canton Ergo 900 DC

Last edited by m4t3y; 03-24-2016 at 05:34 PM.
post #5531 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys! Been a while since I've logged in, (almost forgot my login info) but I've followed this thread almost religiously! I love my RX-a3050! Can't wait, like the rest of you, for the dts:x update. This photo is from Christmas, I'm using my old yamaha HTR-6160 in the picture to power the four white yamaha speakers for overhead in a 7.2.4 setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151212_194401.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1335474  

Last edited by dolby212; 03-24-2016 at 06:09 PM.
post #5532 of 9784 Old 03-24-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

You probably have to wait just a few more years for a smarter TV with apps able to pass|decode streamed|CATV|OTA|mobile AV content that includes immersive|interactive audio encoded in Dolby AC-4 or DTS:X.

Look for prototypes at NABSHOW 2016 in April.

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Last edited by SoundChex; 03-24-2016 at 06:20 PM.
post #5533 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Just woke up. oooooOOOOH

Not to worry the update will come one day in the next 6 months. again I prefer to wait another month but at least they should get it 98% right. Maybe they should release the HDMI 2.0a update only whilst they are fixing this DTS X mess.
How do you know HDMI 2.0a isn't what's holding things up? We all assume it's DTS, but maybe it's not.
post #5534 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryH View Post
My application is in a multipurpose room/basement with a Sony HW40ES projector as well as a BenQ DLP projector and 3 plasma displays in an adjacent bar area. There are no HDR capable displays or any 4K displays involved. I have a 7.2.4 speaker set up waiting to be plugged into it. Given that I just got all of this stuff, I doubt I will be upgrading the displays anytime soon.

What would I be giving up if I went with a 3040 instead of a 3050? I think the answer is some future proofing (with dubious value in my application), but I wanted to make sure I am not missing something.

The DTS:X update is not out... and might not be until the new model year comes around - or at least close to it. There is little to no DTS:X content, and I can just use the Dolby upmixer to get me through the woeful wilderness of not being a DTS:X early adopter.

HDMI 2.0a? But does the 3050 even have that yet? Still waiting for a firmware update there too? I don't have any HDR displays.

HDCP 2.2? But I don't have any 4K displays. I could see having some once there is substantial content and the price comes down significantly... but I really don't see the advantage of 4K unless you are going big or sitting almost uncomfortably close. How long until 4K projectors are in the same ballpark pricewise as what I have now?

Anything else that I am missing?

The 3040 has a multi channel input and is $1100 at Accessories4Less. I can use it for a year or more, and then use it in another location or to share the load when/if something better comes along.
I'm in the same boat so I have some thoughts on this. What is good about the 3040 is: a higher end model, also 7.1 analog ins which you miss on the 2050 and 3050. Since you have good ways to re-purpose older receivers, this seems like a good option. IE the capability of the 3040 won't go to waste. Use it instead of a multi channel amp, you said (in the future).
What you might miss is:
HDR and wide color gamut capability. Probably a bigger PQ deal than 4K by itself. However, with the use of projectors, my understanding is HDR level brightness is very difficult to achieve. But no doubt some sort of HDR projector with very good black levels will be something you will want at some point.
If ATMOS / DTS-X starts to be restricted to 4K titles. Question is do HDCP 2.2 restrictions take effect from a 4K player outputting 1080P from its 4K disc? Or, if you get a projector that can accept HDCP 2.2, then you could output video directly to projector and sound to receiver using 2 HDMI cables.

LCR: Hsu HB-1 MK2, HC-1 MK2..........Subwoofer: Rhythmik D15SE
Receiver: Denon X4200W..................Networking: Roku Premiere+, Chromecast Audio
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80......................TV: Samsung PN60F8500
Atmos/DTS-X: 5.1.4; RSL C34E speakers
post #5535 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 06:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
The only thing worse than people whining is people whining about people whining
I'm really upset that you made me waste 5 seconds of my incredibly valuable time reading your post. Never mind that it took me way longer to respond than it took to read the post and if I'm reading posts on AVSForum, I'm not doing anything important. No offense to AVS.
post #5536 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
How do you know HDMI 2.0a isn't what's holding things up? We all assume it's DTS, but maybe it's not.
Because it has already been pointed out it is the same chip that D+M is using and they have had HDMI 2.0a up and running since the SR-xx10 release late last year. There really shouldn't be any issues for Yamaha to implement it unless they are doing something really screwy.
post #5537 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post
I'm in the same boat so I have some thoughts on this. What is good about the 3040 is: a higher end model, also 7.1 analog ins which you miss on the 2050 and 3050. Since you have good ways to re-purpose older receivers, this seems like a good option. IE the capability of the 3040 won't go to waste. Use it instead of a multi channel amp, you said (in the future).
What you might miss is:
HDR and wide color gamut capability. Probably a bigger PQ deal than 4K by itself. However, with the use of projectors, my understanding is HDR level brightness is very difficult to achieve. But no doubt some sort of HDR projector with very good black levels will be something you will want at some point.
If ATMOS / DTS-X starts to be restricted to 4K titles. Question is do HDCP 2.2 restrictions take effect from a 4K player outputting 1080P from its 4K disc? Or, if you get a projector that can accept HDCP 2.2, then you could output video directly to projector and sound to receiver using 2 HDMI cables.
Regarding the multi-channel amplifier possibilities with a 3040 vs a 3050, someone here pointed out that you could use stereo output from each of the zones... main, zone2, and zone3 to get 6 channels. That could be a little awkward with volume levels, but assuming you can set each of the zones to a set volume and the receiver will hold it, then that would work.

I have waffled between a Denon 7200 and the Yamaha 3050 for several weeks.

I like the Yamaha DSP modes because I am used to them with my previous receivers, and I think I like the Yamaha user interface more. As far as I can tell from the demo mode though, the Yamaha app can't perform as many of the remote commands as the Denon. I don't see any way to change the volume levels of each of the channels from the app. I can do that in the Denon app. Sometimes I like to adjust the surround channels depending on the material.

The Denon is more and it seems to be more bug prone, but I do like the ability to reassign the internal amps.

Basically, there isn't a unit out there that I find to be complete. That's why I'm considering a quasi punt with a refurbed 3040 with the hopes that something might come along later.
post #5538 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How is everyone using old receivers as power amps for atmos speakers? Im very intrigued with the possibilities.
post #5539 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Regarding the multi-channel amplifier possibilities with a 3040 vs a 3050, someone here pointed out that you could use stereo output from each of the zones... main, zone2, and zone3 to get 6 channels. That could be a little awkward with volume levels, but assuming you can set each of the zones to a set volume and the receiver will hold it, then that would work.

I have waffled between a Denon 7200 and the Yamaha 3050 for several weeks.

I like the Yamaha DSP modes because I am used to them with my previous receivers, and I think I like the Yamaha user interface more. As far as I can tell from the demo mode though, the Yamaha app can't perform as many of the remote commands as the Denon. I don't see any way to change the volume levels of each of the channels from the app. I can do that in the Denon app. Sometimes I like to adjust the surround channels depending on the material.

The Denon is more and it seems to be more bug prone, but I do like the ability to reassign the internal amps.

Basically, there isn't a unit out there that I find to be complete. That's why I'm considering a quasi punt with a refurbed 3040 with the hopes that something might come along later.
The 3050 and 2050 have analog outs, they just don't have analog ins if you want a 7.1 amplifier use. So I guess I am not understanding using the zone pre outs for this purpose. What is it that you need in the 3050 or Denon 7200 vs. the 2050? 11 channels or better DACs?
Refurb 2050 is fairly close to the refurb 3040 in price.

Receiver: Denon X4200W..................Networking: Roku Premiere+, Chromecast Audio
post #5540 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevtrbo View Post
How is everyone using old receivers as power amps for atmos speakers? Im very intrigued with the possibilities.
If it has multi channel in, you can input 4 ATMOS channels, for example and power those same channels out.
If it is any old high or low end receiver, you can input to the CD analog, for example, and have two channel power.
The trickiest part is how to turn it on (besides manually or as part of a Harmony remote sequence).
You also want to clear any processing (YPAO, Audyssey, bass management) that was set up in the old receiver.

post #5541 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
My application is in a multipurpose room/basement with a Sony HW40ES projector as well as a BenQ DLP projector and 3 plasma displays in an adjacent bar area. There are no HDR capable displays or any 4K displays involved. I have a 7.2.4 speaker set up waiting to be plugged into it. Given that I just got all of this stuff, I doubt I will be upgrading the displays anytime soon.

What would I be giving up if I went with a 3040 instead of a 3050? I think the answer is some future proofing (with dubious value in my application), but I wanted to make sure I am not missing something.

The DTS:X update is not out... and might not be until the new model year comes around - or at least close to it. There is little to no DTS:X content, and I can just use the Dolby upmixer to get me through the woeful wilderness of not being a DTS:X early adopter.

HDMI 2.0a? But does the 3050 even have that yet? Still waiting for a firmware update there too? I don't have any HDR displays.

HDCP 2.2? But I don't have any 4K displays. I could see having some once there is substantial content and the price comes down significantly... but I really don't see the advantage of 4K unless you are going big or sitting almost uncomfortably close. How long until 4K projectors are in the same ballpark pricewise as what I have now?

Anything else that I am missing?

The 3040 has a multi channel input and is $1100 at Accessories4Less. I can use it for a year or more, and then use it in another location or to share the load when/if something better comes along.
As a person that tries to squeeze as much value out of a purchase as possible, I can empathize with your quandry.

Two of the features you mention (DTS:X, HDMI 2.0a) will be on the Yamaha units in short order. When that will be is fodder for so many forum messages, but the fact is that it will come. How would you feel if you bought the 3040 and the next day the DTS:X/HDMI 2.0a firmware is released for the 3050? If you would still be OK with that, then those things aren't a factor for you as far as the timing of your purchase.

The lack of a multi-channel input on the 3050 is unfortunate, and if that's important to you, then that makes your choice easier. I know that SACD and DVD-Audio are essentially dead, but I have a collection of discs and a player to play them on, and it's unfortunate that the flagship receiver in Yamaha's lineup doesn't have the necessary connections. Their previous model had it, their primary competitor's models (Denon and Marantz) have it, and it was a mistake to remove it.

The last element is price. The price you mentioned at that vendor is for a refurbished unit that is going to have a 1 year warranty. You may get a unit that is basically brand new (new old stock), but you may get one that was returned for a problem that couldn't be verified, diagnosed, and fixed (or one that was repaired). Buying refurbished means that you are willing to play the lottery and are willing to deal with the possible hassle of returning a bad unit. You could get a refurb 3050 for $400 more, but I can tell you that with a little bit of calling around to some authorized dealers (including JDSmoothie here at AVS), you can get a brand new 3050 with a full 3-year warranty for much less than MSRP.

You have the advantage of the willingness/ability to upgrade often, which can insulate you from the risks of buying a previous model. If you have an upgrade path to absorb the cost of buying again, your risk is much lower.

I briefly considered going the route of buying a previous-generation receiver last fall (Yamaha 3040 or Denon 5200), but I tend to use equipment in the same setup for 3-5 years (or more), so saving a couple hundred dollars to buy an older model that is used doesn't make sense. In my situation, I need to buy with an eye toward the future, not the past.

The difficulty that I'm running into now, as we are approaching April, is that we are about 80 days from Yamaha's typical release schedule for their next models (even though the 30x0 model probably won't be available until August). The risk is that one can play the waiting game forever and never make a purchase, but buying in the twilight of a model's life cycle is a decision to be made with care.

Likewise, care should be taken when considering the value of a model that is soon to be two generations old. If the price was under $1,000, I think the decision would be easier. I can't recommend spending $1,100 on a refurb when the price differential to a brand new, current generation model is what it is. It's your money, though, so if all it boils down to is price, you have to decide if the discount is worth it for what you give up by taking advantage of it.
turbovan, Scarriere and highmr like this.

Publisher - The BigScreen Cinema Guide
DTS:X Resources | Dolby Atmos Resources
Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons, the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas. - Henry Thomas Buckle - historian and author
post #5542 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 08:30 AM

Liked: 31
*END OF MARCH IS OUT OF THE QUESTION*

Chat session started at 11:21:03
Please be patient while you are being connected with an operator ...
Sam: When will you release firmware update to enable HDR? Been waiting for so long
You are now chatting with Ken
Ken: Thank you for contacting Yamaha AV Customer Support...
Sam: Hi Ken
Ken: That is due out in the next 3 to 6 weeks.
Sam: So it was pushed back?
Ken: That is the information I have regarding that update.
Sam: Because I was told "end of March
Ken: It still could be but I was not given an exact date, just a time frame.

Movie78 likes this.
post #5543 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post
The 3050 and 2050 have analog outs, they just don't have analog ins if you want a 7.1 amplifier use. So I guess I am not understanding using the zone pre outs for this purpose. What is it that you need in the 3050 or Denon 7200 vs. the 2050? 11 channels or better DACs?
Refurb 2050 is fairly close to the refurb 3040 in price.
The thought was that, even though the 3050 lacks the 7.1 input, you could input 2 channels from the preouts of another receiver (say atmos front heights) to zone 1, then atmos rear heights to zone 2, and (assuming the 3050 can drive 3 zones at same time) perhaps your surround rears to zone 3.

Sort of a Rube Goldberg multichannel amp.

I have 7 bed channels and 4 overhead channels, so I need 11 channel processing. I can use my old DSP A1 to help out and power the additional channels.

Last edited by PerryH; 03-25-2016 at 09:04 AM.
post #5544 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samckaz View Post
Wow, guess my "over/under" prediction was wrong too (I took the "under" on April 1).
If true, Yamaha has to issue a separate HDMI 2.0a update (for HDR); I don't hold them totally responsible for the DTS:X slips (I'm sure DTS shares much of the blame), but I do hold them responsible for not getting the HDMI update out once UHD hit the streets (over a month ago now).

Hard to believe, but now the question is: which comes out first, the 2017 models or DTS:X?

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #5545 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
The thought was that, even though the 3050 lacks the 7.1 input, you could input 2 channels from the preouts of another receiver (say atmos front heights) to zone 1, then atmos rear heights to zone 2, and (assuming the 3050 can drive 3 zones at some) perhaps your surround rears to zone 3.

Sort of a Rube Goldberg multichannel amp.

I have 7 bed channels and 4 overhead channels, so I need 11 channel processing. I can use my old DSP A1 to help out and power the additional channels.
Yes, but they would all be the same two channels, so sound would come out of all of the desired speakers, it just wouldn't be the right sound.

Re the 11 channels, given the price difference between refurb 3040 and refurb 3050 or 7200WA (or even 6200 or Marantz 7010), I understand your thinking.
I hope future models make 9 and 11 processing more common at lower levels - never mind the number of amps included.

Last edited by highmr; 03-25-2016 at 09:04 AM.
post #5546 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 09:01 AM

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Wow, guess my "over/under" prediction was wrong too (I took the "under" on April 1).
If true, Yamaha has to issue a separate HDMI 2.0a update (for HDR); I don't hold them totally responsible for the DTS:X slips (I'm sure DTS shares much of the blame), but I do hold them responsible for not getting the HDMI update out once UHD hit the streets (over a month ago now).

Hard to believe, but now the question is: which comes out first, the 2017 models or DTS:X?
Thats what I'm afraid that perhaps the 2017 models will come preloaded with DTS:X and HDR capabilities before we 2016 model owners will get it... Let's hope this is not the case.
post #5547 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Sam: When will you release firmware update to enable HDR? Been waiting for so long

This is BS...

Where is the user(guy) that said he was going to buy my YAMAHA RXA3050?

OLD SETUP:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...r-theater.html
NEW SETUP: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...856#pid2506856
LG 75UH8500 3D DOLBY VISION HDR | SONY 43 ANDROID TV HDR
XBOX ONE S UHD BLU-RAY | PS4 PRO 4K HDR GAMING
MARANTZ SR7011 DTS X | ATMOS 5.1.4 | Auro-3D 9.1

Last edited by Movie78; 03-25-2016 at 10:13 AM.
post #5548 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My guess is we get it in June.
post #5549 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Same from Yamaha Tech support give a different answer

Quote:
Michael:HDR AND DTS:X update
Ken:Thank you for contacting Yamaha AV Customer Support...
Ken:That is due to come out in the next 2 to 4 weeks.
What kind of BS is going on

OLD SETUP:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...r-theater.html
NEW SETUP: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?...856#pid2506856
LG 75UH8500 3D DOLBY VISION HDR | SONY 43 ANDROID TV HDR
XBOX ONE S UHD BLU-RAY | PS4 PRO 4K HDR GAMING
MARANTZ SR7011 DTS X | ATMOS 5.1.4 | Auro-3D 9.1
post #5550 of 9784 Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Can I please request a new thread for HDR and DTS:X disappointments people have for Yamaha aventage receivers. Let's keep this thread focused on what they Can Do rather than can't do at this point.

Yamaha RX-3050 5.2.4 JBL studio 1 (front, center, sorround) Tannoy Di8 DC (four on ceiling ATMOS)
Google NSZ-GT1 player
EPSON PowerLite Home Cinema 3010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
scenes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page