The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha 1050/2050/3050 Owner's thread. - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2746Likes

post #1801 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
thanks guys, very helpful, especially interesting is the mention that 9 channel stereo puts out sound to 11 speakers connected to the 3050, if i understand this correctly? also, altho i have a second amp, it's a beast, huge, it's a crown 8-channel unit that has served me well over the years, a real workhorse that i think has great sound... but rather than use it i'm thinking about the yamaha a-s500, has great reviews, matches my new avr, and can drive 4 speakers (i'm thinking about connecting my 4 ceiling (presence) speakers to it)... but after looking at the a-s500 manual i'm not quite sure how to go about doing this, selecting a&b speakers is easy enough which will output sound to all 4 speakers, but where do i connect the avr preouts, it seems that the a-s500 only accepts, and plays, pairs of speakers? in case it wasn't obvious, i'm pretty green at this sort of stuff....

a-s500 (back panel)

If your main R & L speakers are capable of being bi-amped, why don't you use 4 channels from your Crown amplifier for that purpose and identify the speaker set-up in the 3050 as "9 ch. + Fronts", using the R & L pre-outs on the back of the 3050 to your Crown amp? That would theoretically provide the best sound, especially in 2 channel stereo (straight) music. This is the set-up I use for my 7.2.4 HT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
@kokshin;

Yamaha RX-A3050
L&R: Paradigm Monitor 9
C: Paradigm Center 3
SL/R: Paradigm Surround 3
SB: Paradigm Atom
TF/TR (in-ceiling): Paradigm Cl Pro P65R
Sub: Paradigm Monitor SUB 10
Added you. Single SB? Are you running 6.1.4?

You spelled "kokishin" wrong so I was not alerted. Just happened to see your post. "kokshin" might be good if I was in another line of work. ;-)

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #1803 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 795
I just went in and changed all video processing settings on all of my inputs (except for my BD/DVD) to 4k instead of letting the TV do it; once I upgrade to UHD I will let the player scale all the way to 4k. I don't know why the AVR and TV negotiated a 1080p setting (on "Auto"), but 4k was allowed in the menu so I "forced" it. Things look pretty darn good, and even my legacy sources (with analog outputs) aren't bad (like LaserDisc)

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED

post #1804 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 38
My 2050 was just delivered to my house. I won't get to hook it up until the weekend but I can't wait to get home to unbox and check it out.
Scarriere and Molon_Labe like this.
post #1805 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambaba View Post
Thanks Fish. I have Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with the Raal ribbon tweeters which I think the world of. They are very resolving speakers.

That said, what I think you are saying is that even with great speakers, I would need to do side by side comparison to even discern a marginal difference if any.
Yes, what I would add is that the sound is slightly different between the two so you should compare to see which one you find more enjoyable with those Raal tweeters. On the other hand, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. I came from Marantz 6009. I mostly listen to 2 channel, 95%, and I thoroughly enjoy the Yamaha's, again different than the Marantz but I believe more revealing and now with my new speakers, Tannoy DC 10 ti's, an extremely enjoyable experience.
Scarriere likes this.
post #1806 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 697
So the video problems plague the new XX50 series as well?
post #1807 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Why do you say that? I've not had any video problems with my systems since upgrading them to x050 series.
post #1808 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
I just went in and changed all video processing settings on all of my inputs (except for my BD/DVD) to 4k instead of letting the TV do it; once I upgrade to UHD I will let the player scale all the way to 4k. I don't know why the AVR and TV negotiated a 1080p setting (on "Auto"), but 4k was allowed in the menu so I "forced" it. Things look pretty darn good, and even my legacy sources (with analog outputs) aren't bad (like LaserDisc)
Do you experience this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vygnyr View Post
Has someone encountered this delay when switching between sources? This happens when I switch from AV1 to AV4 and everywhere between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVscKM650RI
post #1809 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1537 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Quote:
Has someone encountered this delay when switching between sources? This happens when I switch from AV1 to AV4 and everywhere between.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVscKM650RI
Quote:
Do you experience this?
Definitely not. But then again, I'm using HDMI1 and it's not setup as "PC".

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2)
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's (R/L F/R), (2) Polk Monitor 4's (TM), Polk CS300 center channel
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
LG 65EF9500 4K OLED
post #1810 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
Why do you say that? I looked at the YPAO PEQ settings on my Subs and they are very modest adjustments... Nothing that would kill it or make any noticeable difference, and if you don't like the EQ you can easily disable it or customize it to your liking. Of course, EQing Subs is a challenge anyway as placement and room node effects are often the predominant issues and cannot be simply EQd away.

How does XT32 make bass sound better?

From what I understand, XT32 calibrates down to 20Hz and YPAO only to 31Hz

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #1811 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post
The lowest frequency point you can adjust in the Yamaha is 31hz. Doesn't meant that's what it "calibrates" down to, i.e. you make an adjustment at 31hz, it also affects the frequencies above and below that. I bring that up because I don't know if 20hz is the lowest adjustable frequency in XT32 or if they're claiming adjustments to 20hz based on that principal.

XT32 would make bass better because Audyssey also does adjustments in the phase/time-alignment department.
post #1812 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 15
From the last 10 years the Yamaha's have always sounded tinny and too light. A lot of pro Yamaha people will call this crisp and clear. But when watching movies I never thought they had a good punch. I'm currently listening to a broken Denon right now that has more punch and fidelity then any previous Yamaha's I've owned. Not sure what the case really is, but through out the years I've always had the same speakers but multiple receivers. I don't know if it the amps they use or what but I've never been so hesitant to purchase a receiver in my life. Usually it was a quick couple day research, but now with this Atmos stuff in the air and units not even fully supporting it I think the best thing to do is wait. I think I'm just trying to talk myself in or out of a buy. Sorry for rant, but I think I'm just angered because I want Yamaha to sound better since I like their track record with quality.
post #1813 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Definitely not. But then again, I'm using HDMI1 and it's not setup as "PC".
Hmm, ok. HDMI1 and HDMI2 - same result, same delay. I'm using PC for gaming but I'll try changing it and see if it matters.
post #1814 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post
From the last 10 years the Yamaha's have always sounded tinny and too light. A lot of pro Yamaha people will call this crisp and clear.
A lot of people have said this, including a lot of professional reviewers.
post #1815 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

But didn't you say that YPAO kills the bass? Maybe what you were trying to say is that YPAO doesn't offer the same level of sub adjustments as XT32? That's very different than "killing" the bass. If that's the case, why not just say that rather than resort to hyperbole?

BTW, while it seems some love XT32, I seem to see a fair number of people that complain about it too. It doesn't appear to be perfect either.

SONY 75X850C | YAMAHA RX-A2050 | 5 DAYTON AUDIO APA150 | KLIPSCH RP 5.2.4
post #1816 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
A lot of people have said this, including a lot of professional reviewers.
Please enlighten us as to who these people and professional reviewers are? The reviews I've seen on the aventage line don't support your position. Too each there own but I would never describe the 2040 or 3050 as tinny or light. The reviews of the 5000 were also excellent. Hmmm?
bwillcox and radamo like this.
post #1817 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 10:01 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
Please enlighten us as to who these people and professional reviewers are? The reviews I've seen on the aventage line don't support your position. Too each there own but I would never describe the 2040 or 3050 as tinny or light. The reviews of the 5000 were also excellent. Hmmm?
I have never owned a Yamaha receiver (am thinking about getting one), but here is at least one professional review of the RX-a3040 that in a way directionally speaks to this position.

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a3040/review

I believe this is a fairly respectable UK review site. In essence, the review says that while the Yamaha excels in surround effects and offers a huge sense of scale, it comes up wanting in its ability to impact. In fact in their exact words:

"But it’s not all plain sailing for the RX-A3040. For a start, it’s not quite as punchy as we’d hope. Impacts could be stronger, tauter and have more wallop."

Further, in their review of the Pioneer SC-LX88 (SC-89 here in the US I believe), they compared it with the 3040 and found the Pioneer unit to be punchier and tautier, more satisfying and meaty. (I'm paraphrasing a bit here).

http://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/sc-lx88/review

I obviously can't personally attest to these reviews since I've never owned these two units. Although I have owned a Pioneer SC-63 and I did find that unit after MCACC calibration was pretty "meaty" in sound (slightly exaggerated mid bass) with also a slightly over bright high end until you manually adjust the EQ.
post #1818 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Added you. Single SB? Are you running 6.1.4?

You spelled "kokishin" wrong so I was not alerted. Just happened to see your post. "kokshin" might be good if I was in another line of work. ;-)
Lol

Sorry @kokishin , I meant 7.1.4
SB X 2 Atoms.

Thanks for the add.
post #1819 of 9666 Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
As well as what?
I've got a 2010 that has zero issues at four years old and I don't recall reading anything about any "plague" you speak of.

Quote:
From the last 10 years the Yamaha's have always sounded tinny and too light. A lot of pro Yamaha people will call this crisp and clear. But when watching movies I never thought they had a good punch. I'm currently listening to a broken Denon right now that has more punch and fidelity then any previous Yamaha's I've owned. Not sure what the case really is, but through out the years I've always had the same speakers but multiple receivers. I don't know if it the amps they use or what but I've never been so hesitant to purchase a receiver in my life. Usually it was a quick couple day research, but now with this Atmos stuff in the air and units not even fully supporting it I think the best thing to do is wait. I think I'm just trying to talk myself in or out of a buy. Sorry for rant, but I think I'm just angered because I want Yamaha to sound better since I like their track record with quality.
You probably mean dts-X right?

If I had the (questionable) reservations that you have, I wouldn't get a Yamaha. Stick with the beefy sounding ones that you're partial to.
post #1820 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I have never owned a Yamaha receiver (am thinking about getting one), but here is at least one professional review of the RX-a3040 that in a way directionally speaks to this position.

I believe this is a fairly respectable UK review site. In essence, the review says that while the Yamaha excels in surround effects and offers a huge sense of scale, it comes up wanting in its ability to impact. In fact in their exact words:

"But it’s not all plain sailing for the RX-A3040. For a start, it’s not quite as punchy as we’d hope. Impacts could be stronger, tauter and have more wallop."

Further, in their review of the Pioneer SC-LX88 (SC-89 here in the US I believe), they compared it with the 3040 and found the Pioneer unit to be punchier and tautier, more satisfying and meaty. (I'm paraphrasing a bit here).

I obviously can't personally attest to these reviews since I've never owned these two units. Although I have owned a Pioneer SC-63 and I did find that unit after MCACC calibration was pretty "meaty" in sound (slightly exaggerated mid bass) with also a slightly over bright high end until you manually adjust the EQ.

To be fair, Pioneer spend a lot more money advertising in What-Hifi than anyone else... just saying.
post #1821 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
My feelings exactly, I really wanted to order the 1050 but after hearing a friends 1050 I was underwhelmed with the sound so went for the X4200W in the end...
post #1822 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wink

Edit delete this post

PANASONIC TX-58AX800E ULTRA HD 4K LED TV
i1 Display Pro + CalMAN+ madVR Control Calibrated
YAMAHA RX-A2050 9.2 DOLBY ATMOS/DTS:X
ROTEL RB-1572
DALI MENTOR
NVIDIA Shield Android TV 500GB 4K/60Hz
post #1823 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha 1050/2050/3050 Owner's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowC4S View Post
My current setup consists of:
Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro
Denon POA-A1HDCI amp
Oppo BDP83-SE blu ray
Directv Genie
HTPC
B&W Nautilus 802D
B&W Nautilus HTM2D
B&W DS8
JL Audio Fathom F113
Panasonic TCP65-VT30

My pre/pro went on the fritz and Asurion(through Directv) says they cannot fix it so they are sending me a Yamaha RX-A3050BL as a replacement. I"m already pissed off because I feel I sent them a Ferrari and they're replacing it with a mustang. My other issue is that I sent them a pre/pro and they're sending me a receiver. When I receive this unit will I immediately throw a tantrum? I've also heard some unfavorable comparisons on YPAO vs Audessey. I will be using the pre-outs on the 3050 to connect to my Denon Amp.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin

the new GT350R may well give the 488 a run for its money so maybe the 3050 will not be so bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

speeddeacon

Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #1824 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
But didn't you say that YPAO kills the bass? Maybe what you were trying to say is that YPAO doesn't offer the same level of sub adjustments as XT32? That's very different than "killing" the bass. If that's the case, why not just say that rather than resort to hyperbole?

BTW, while it seems some love XT32, I seem to see a fair number of people that complain about it too. It doesn't appear to be perfect either.

Do you work for Yamaha or what? I don't know what subs you have but I have subs and a room that go well under 31Hz so when it doesn't do a good job of calibrating below that, IMHO it KILLS the bass. :-) "hyperbole" really.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #1825 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you work for Yamaha or what? I don't know what subs you have but I have subs and a room that go well under 31Hz so when it doesn't do a good job of calibrating below that, IMHO it KILLS the bass. :-) "hyperbole" really.
Well, not so in my configuration. I have two Definitive Technology Trinity Signatures with response to 10Hz and my system certainly has plenty of bass below 31Hz (I don't hear it, but I do feel it). I think what you are dealing with aren't Yamaha employees, but rather satisfied customers here. (I'm a software engineer working at IBM.)
Scarriere likes this.
post #1826 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Well, not so in my configuration. I have two Definitive Technology Trinity Signatures with response to 10Hz and my system certainly has plenty of bass below 31Hz (I don't hear it, but I do feel it). I think what you are dealing with aren't Yamaha employees, but rather satisfied customers here. (I'm a software engineer working at IBM.)
For those jumping in, the original poster asked about going from a Denon X4000 to a Yamaha A3050. Guess who did that exact thing? I answered with my personal observation of the difference between the 2 with the rest of my room being exactly the same config.
If you are satisfied with your Yamahas, great; who said I was dissatisfied with my 3050? I like my 3050, but the way it calibrates bass is severely lacking compared to the Denon. I can’t give the specific scientific reasons, but places I used to feel punches or rumbles in movies are gone. “The opening in Edge of Tomorrow, the hand grenade scene in WWZ, roll over in FOTP, Starships heading Romulus in Star Trek and multiple others, punch, chest thump, acoustic panels rattling on the wall …. all gone until I made adjustments with a MiniDSP.

Lowell

post #1827 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
For those jumping in, the original poster asked about going from a Denon X4000 to a Yamaha A3050. Guess who did that exact thing? I answered with my personal observation of the difference between the 2 with the rest of my room being exactly the same config.
If you are satisfied with your Yamahas, great; who said I was dissatisfied with my 3050? I like my 3050, but the way it calibrates bass is severely lacking compared to the Denon. I can’t give the specific scientific reasons, but places I used to feel punches or rumbles in movies are gone. “The opening in Edge of Tomorrow, the hand grenade scene in WWZ, roll over in FOTP, Starships heading Romulus in Star Trek and multiple others, punch, chest thump, acoustic panels rattling on the wall …. all gone until I made adjustments with a MiniDSP.
What were your reasons for going from Denon to Yamaha?

The reason I ask is that I was gung ho to get a 6200 but now I'm probably going to get a 3050.

Thanks

My signature:
Link: avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #1828 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wasn't challenging what your experience was, just your claim that because some of us haven't shared that experience that we are likely working for Yamaha.
post #1829 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:

It is extremely difficult to understand the review in that they seem to use a significant amount of adjectives without really saying anything I certainly believe that each receiver has a certain sound out of the box that is greatly affected by the speakers that one uses. My Tannoy's responded exceptionally well to the 2040 and now the 3050 but that is not to say that I didn't tweek the sound, I did. I agree that the dialog lift makes the receiver sound better. Still, the receiver creates a very taught sound throughout the range. The bass through my speakers is incredible impactful, enough so that I no longer use my sub for music. The detail on the instruments is so good that I am hearing background instruments for the first time on streaming flac files. This is in direct comparison to my Marantz 6009. Again, if possible listen to all receivers in your room with your speakers
post #1830 of 9666 Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish5225 View Post
LOWS

Upper mids and lower treble a little too bright

http://www.digitaltrends.com/receive...a-3020-review/

But it’s not all plain sailing for the RX-A3040. For a start, it’s not quite as punchy as we’d hope. Impacts could be stronger, tauter and have more wallop. There could be more detail and refinement overall, too. It seems that in going for a bigger sound, Yamaha has traded in some of that finer subtlety and agility that made it such a delight to listen to.

This affects voices, too, which aren’t as direct or nuanced enough to let us fully engage with the characters and their story. Rival Pioneer SC-LX88 does a more successful job of keeping you hooked and drawn into the unfolding action on screen with its stronger, subtler delivery of dialogue and razor-sharp precision.

http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-a3...0gxebTaqRHo.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
scenes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page