Denon AVR-X3100W vs Yamaha RX-V679 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 9 Old 08-25-2015, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon AVR-X3100W vs Yamaha RX-V679

Hi,

I'm looking into getting a receiver for my house (college off campus housing), and I've narrowed my search down to the following two receivers: the Denon AVR-X3100W and the Yamaha RX-V679. I can't really seem to find many differences between the two units though. I can get them both for $400, so price isn't a deciding factor.

Would someone be able to help me out in picking between the two?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-26-2015, 05:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 5248 Post(s)
Liked: 2664
The Denon X3100W is a higher level model from 2014 on clearance (why the prices are similar) however, is not 4k/HDCP 2.2 as is the newer 2015 Yamaha RX-V679. The Denon comes with a 3 year warranty vs. only 2 with the RX-V679 and the Denon also has both a Zone 2 HDMI monitor out to pass video to a TV in another room as well as more advanced Zone 2 features. The Denon would also more likely provide better audio quality as a result of using Audyssey MultEQ XT. The RX-V679 comes with the new MusicCast feature. Make your choice based on your feature/input/output requirements.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The Denon X3100W is a higher level model from 2014 on clearance (why the prices are similar) however, is not 4k/HDCP 2.2 as is the newer 2015 Yamaha RX-V679. The Denon comes with a 3 year warranty vs. only 2 with the RX-V679 and the Denon also has both a Zone 2 HDMI monitor out to pass video to a TV in another room as well as more advanced Zone 2 features. The Denon would also more likely provide better audio quality as a result of using Audyssey MultEQ XT. The RX-V679 comes with the new MusicCast feature. Make your choice based on your feature/input/output requirements.
Awesome, thank you very much!
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having to make a similar decision... where are you finding the Yamaha RX-V679 for $400??? That is a fantastic price!
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Be advised Yamaha is ranked #1 for reliability, Denon is #4 ...

Just my $0.02...
post #6 of 9 Old Today, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
The denon x3100 is a wayy higher model than the yamaha rx v679. The denon may not fully support new HDMI 2.0 standards, while the v679 is for sure fully compatible.

I would still personally choose the denon avr x3100 over the yamaha because there are ways around new HDMI standards, while there is no way of putting full 7.2 channel preouts on the v679. Plus the x3100 has a way better DAC, pre-amp stage, and amplifier than the v679.

Read the review from what hi fi of yamaha rx v679: http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v679/review

Denon avr x3100 review: https://www.avforums.com/review/deno...r-review.11211
post #7 of 9 Unread Today, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcap74 View Post
I am having to make a similar decision... where are you finding the Yamaha RX-V679 for $400??? That is a fantastic price!
The Yamaha is from Direct Buy and the Denon is from accessories4less.com
post #8 of 9 Unread Today, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up getting the Yamaha. I've had a Yamaha reciever for years, and never had any issues with it. Plus, with the HDMI 2.2, I figure it's probably more future proof
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1120 View Post
I ended up getting the Yamaha. I've had a Yamaha reciever for years, and never had any issues with it. Plus, with the HDMI 2.2, I figure it's probably more future proof

That's a good receiver. What hifi says that it is better than the models that came before it. I currently own the v673 and like the sound very much. I also like YPAO better than audyssey multiEQ and multiEQ XT. I own the denon avr1912 with multiEQ and the marantz sr5006 with multiEQ XT. In pure direct I love the sound of the marantz sr5006, but with the auto room calibration I like the yamaha rx v673's EQ presets better better.

Hey you can manually tweak the EQ on the v679 to what you like. If it's similar to the v673 frequencies start at 31hz. I tweaked my EQ to the point that I don't even need a subwoofer anymore. I just use my two front tower speakers and it goes down to 35hz all the way up to 100 hz equally in my listening area. Bass extension on my towers is awesome. I tweaked the EQ so that my speakers sound just like my Audio Technica ATH M40x headphones.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page