Dual receiver set up for additional surround channels? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dual receiver set up for additional surround channels?

I've seen a few on the board that are using multiple receivers to add additional surround channels. I'm curious how this is accomplished from a connection and decoding standpoint.

speeddeacon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 850
I'm curious, too. I've seen people using additional amps to power available-but-unpowered channels in their AVRs, but not using additional AVRs to "add" channels to their set-up.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5307 Post(s)
Liked: 2677
Addressing only the connection aspect (rather than surround processing), and depending on what connections are available on your old receiver, use the following instructions:

Receiver with multi analog inputs (this is preferred as it allows you to more easily amplify more than just 2 speakers):
1. Connect the primary AVR speaker pre-outs to be amplified to the old receiver's FL/FR multi analog inputs.
2. Select the source (eg CD) on the old receiver to be used
3. Set the audio input to EXT IN (ie. multi analog inputs) on the old receiver
4. Connect the speakers to be amplified to the FL/FR speaker posts of the old receiver

Receiver without multi analog inputs:
1. Connect the primary AVR speaker pre-outs to be amplified to one of the old receiver's stereo analog inputs (eg. CD)
2. Select that source (eg. CD) on the old receiver to be used
3. Set the old receiver to DIRECT mode
4. Connect the speakers to be amplified to the FL/FR speaker posts of the old receiver

Regardless of the type connections used:
1. Factory reset the old receiver (see Owner's manual for this) to restore all settings to factory default (esp. speaker distance/level settings).
2. Raise the volume of the old receiver to at least 80-100% of maximum

Possible issue using an old receiver of the same brand as the primary AVR would be the remote controlling both AVRs, so unless either model has a unique Remote ID feature, you'll want to cover the IR sensor of the old receiver.

--------
2015 Denon AVR thread ----> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html

Think your AVR is defective? Check the Owner's manual and do a factory reset 4-5 times if necessary.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeacon View Post
I've seen a few on the board that are using multiple receivers to add additional surround channels. I'm curious how this is accomplished from a connection and decoding standpoint.
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish, basic setup is simple, just split your input signal into both receivers and wire speakers accordingly.

But....

This is not needed for normal surround applications, you can accomplish the same thing by simply "correctly wiring" multiple speakers or splitting the low level output signal into separate amps then to the speakers, using separate amps also allows you to play with delays using a dsp, like the Mini-DSP.

The people I think you're referring to are the people trying to expand their options for Atmos & DTS-X, by using two receivers they are able to expand on the current speaker layout limitations with the formats, and in this instance the multiple receivers allow for extra "discrete" channels, not just duplicated surrounds.

*Warning* None of my suggestions, ideas or even thoughts have any WAF, in any way!
My Build Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...formation.html
Old 08-26-2015, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I understand the idea of using the receiver as an external amplifier, but as ALtlOff described, I am curious about extra discrete channels, for example a discrete 15.2 /7.2.8 channel setup.

I'm assuming you need two receivers/SSPs with matching decoding capabilites (Neo:X, Atmos, DTS:X, Auro, etc.)?

So if you have four HDMI sources, such as a BluRay, a streamer, a satellite and a computer, you would put a 1:2 HDMI splitter on each source then connect them each to both SSP and then within the SSP set up the speakers that they were powering, L,C,R,SSL,SSR,LR,RR,FHL,FHR,FWL,FWR,FPL,FPR,RPL,RP R? Is that correct? How is volume controlled, by adjusting both SSPs?

speeddeacon

Last edited by speeddeacon; 08-26-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement