is it better to passive bi-amp or not? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DonH50

post #1 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 1
is it better to passive bi-amp or not?

Hi my apologies for opening a topic that has been discussed very frequently. Having read multiple forums and posts i cannot decide if it is worth it to hook up some wires in the 7.1 surround and passively bi-amp polks with a onkyo 526. I do not have an active crossover or an external stereo amp . Having tried to bi-amp i am not sure i noticed an improvement.
My main questions are:
Should I change de LFE channel crossover below 120 now that its bi-amp.
Also I noticed that i cannot hear anything very clearly in dialogues from the center channel seems so low and muffled not sure how I can improve this audessey set the center at -11 db...should i change that? if so what's the point of running audessey.
Finally should i set the surroind to active since i am bi-amping or I should leave them to on and let the receiver on bi-amp.
Not sure all of this is worth it if anyone has experience with receiver passive bi-amp ure help would be appreciated , thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 545
I would not waste my time and wires but YMMV. It has been explained ad nauseum in numerous threads. A few hear differences; the majority here feel it offers no audible benefit in the vast majority of cases. At least some Onkyo units do allow you to set an internal crossover when bi-amping IIRC.

You should not change the LFE setting.

Were you able to hear the center OK before trying to bi-amp? Or is that a separate issue/question unrelated to bi-amping? Bi-amping may have changed the gain structure so you should re-run Audyssey. In any event, I would re-run Audyssey and/or bump up the center trim level to see if that helps.

FWIWFM - Don
dmarqueset likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #3 of 9 Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I would not waste my time and wires but YMMV. It has been explained ad nauseum in numerous threads. A few hear differences; the majority here feel it offers no audible benefit in the vast majority of cases. At least some Onkyo units do allow you to set an internal crossover when bi-amping IIRC.

You should not change the LFE setting.

Were you able to hear the center OK before trying to bi-amp? Or is that a separate issue/question unrelated to bi-amping? Bi-amping may have changed the gain structure so you should re-run Audyssey. In any event, I would re-run Audyssey and/or bump up the center trim level to see if that helps.

FWIWFM - Don
thx,

sorry to ask but what is YMMV? My onkyo as the normal crossovers settings and there is no huge difference with changing that. I will try to see if I can change the center completely seems very week . Guess bi-amping isnt so bad to my perception the sound is less harsh than before but still feels like its coming from a can not completely alive as I want, but close and good enough i guess. thx again
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
thx,

sorry to ask but what is YMMV?
Your mileage may vary.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ What he said.

As for bi-amping, that has nothing to do with the sound of the center. Did you use a mic stand when running Audyssey, where was the mic positioned? It sounds like the center was not set up properly for whatever reason. Make sure it is pointed at the listening position.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 9 Old Today, 05:24 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
The right answer is that it is better not to do it. Passive biamplification adds complexity to the system without providing any benefit.
post #7 of 9 Old Today, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
^^^ What he said.

As for bi-amping, that has nothing to do with the sound of the center. Did you use a mic stand when running Audyssey, where was the mic positioned? It sounds like the center was not set up properly for whatever reason. Make sure it is pointed at the listening position.
i dont have a mic stand i hold the mic in my hands does it make such a huge difference?
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

"Huge" is relative but yes, it can make a significant difference. You hands shake (even when you think they don't) and moving the mic around during measurements can corrupt the readings. Your body can also interfere with the calibration since it assume the mic is all by itself. You might think about getting an inexpensive boom microphone stand to hold the calibration microphone if you do not have one. That way you can put it right where it should be (ear level at the main listening position) and hold it rigidly without impacting the measurements. Mic stands can be had for from $20 to many hundreds of dollars. You can pick one up at a local store (Guitar Center or similar) or online. Here is an inexpensive one: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicStdFBoomL

HTH - Don

post #9 of 9 Old Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
i dont have a mic stand i hold the mic in my hands does it make such a huge difference?
Yes, you really should use a mic stand for best results.

Position the mic mounted on a stand with the tip of the mic pointed up toward the ceiling. Follow all the instructions for your brand of room correction. Measurements are usually taken with the mic at ear level.

Trying to hand hold the mic will introduce unwanted reflections and probably some noise from your hand as it grips the mic. Your room correction software will try to correct for something that isn't really there during normal listening conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors